Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Han in Carbonite. The madness finally begins!

From
    Garland, TX

Han in Carbonite. The madness finally begins!

New member here and wanted to start off with my HIC build that had been put on hold for about a year. Here's the frame built with the panel slots cut out. I do not have a pic but the slots will be backed with MDF screwed in place. The panels will then be glued with 5 min epoxy to the MDF. This way, I can remove the MDF when I need to move the HIC frame around and not damage the panels.

Here the notches are cut out with a jig saw. Still need to fill all the screw holes, sand the entire frame down, and round off all the edges before I can attach the front panel I got from Stormrider.

Here's a shot of the panel glued to the MDF backing plate. The panels were blocked sanded to get the bottom as flat as possible. There are still some gaps but were easily filled in with Apoxie sculpt.

There are holes on the panels that will need to be hollowed out. I used a 1/8 size drill bit to do this and the tape help keep all the holes the same depth.

most of the greeblies were casted a little long so there's flash on the bottom. I just used 150 grit sandpaper and sanded it down in a circular motion. Then again with 220 grit to smooth it out.

Here's one of the panel primed with grey primer, gloss black, then aluminum all bought at an automotive store. I made templates of the four squares in the panels so I can trace them on a thin sheet of aluminum. The sheets of aluminum were then superglued in place. That's where I'm at now just chipping away at each panel getting all the greeblies cleaned up and ready for paint. Thanks for following along and hope to have an update soon!
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 3, 2010 at 6:08 AM.

From
    LR,Arkansas

Re: Han in Carbonite. The madness finally begins!

looking good hope there's more to come

From
    Fayetteville, AR

Very nice. I may post pics of my HIC as well.

From
    Garland, TX

Thanks guys. Toothboy, you should post some pics of your HIC. Is it finished or still a work in progress? Either way, I may steal some ideas from you so please post pics.

Here's a diagram I got from the Yahoo HIC Builders Group. Great place with lots of photo reference and specs for the HIC. I will build my panels from my numbered 8 thru 1. Panel 1 and 2 will be the most difficult so I wanted to do them last. Still missing some greeblies for panel 2 and will have to scratch build them. Panel one will be lit but static.

Here's the actual pic of the top left panel (#8 on my diagram). I gotta say thanks to Mr. Wise of Rebelscum.com for providing these pics as they were very helpful when I scratch built my panels.

Here's my panel #8 so far. Still missing the three clips, but I will make all of them when all the panels are done.

It's time to tackle panel #7 so thanks for looking and will post again soon!
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 6, 2010 at 12:49 AM.

From
    Phenix City, AL

Nice thread. I can't wait to start my HIC project either. It's being almost two years, and a whole lot more time researching for this one... all I need is the time.

Too many projects, so little time.

From
    Garland, TX

DarthVader1 said: View Post
    Nice thread. I can't wait to start my HIC project either. It's being almost two years, and a whole lot more time researching for this one... all I need is the time.

Too many projects, so little time.
    I'm in the same boat... too many projects and so little time. I think I have modeler's ADD cause I have about 7 or more kits started but have not yet finished. This project is not even half way completed and I'm thinking about starting my Polar Lights 1/350 Refit Enterprise kit. I hope I don't get side tracked with my HIC build and finish it once and for all (lol). More updates soon and thanks for looking!

From
    Garland, TX

Here's the reference pic for panel #7

Here's my panel finished minus the clips and it's onward to the next one!

I am building some greeblie parts for panel #2. Here's a shot of the mesh box so far using styrene and apoxie sculpt.
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM.

From
    Garland, TX

Reference pic for panel #6.

Here's my panel so far. The rings were painted with Alclad Chrome (great stuff) and all the decals were from Glen over at the Yahoo HIC Builders club.
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Hi D Very nice work! I may have missed it, but are you planning on putting in the electronics?

Weequay

From
    Garland, TX

WeeQuay said: View Post
    Hi D Very nice work! I may have missed it, but are you planning on putting in the electronics?

Weequay
    Thanks and yes I plan to light up the first panel. Will have to watch the DVD again to see exactly what parts lights up but it shouldn't be too hard to do.
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM.

From
    Garland, TX

It was time to glue down the awesome Front Panel I got from Stormrider and I used Durham's Water Putty from Home Depot to blend the edges to the frame. I was going to use bondo but that is some toxic stuff especially when you have to sand it down. Durham's putty dried rock solid and sanded easily. The Front Panel (made of thick rubber) was first glued to a sheet of particle board. Holes were drilled in Han's head, chest, and legs for the expanding foam (the ones used to seal gaps in windows). I used Gorilla wood glue to fix the particle board to the frame with a few wood screws for good measure.

Here it is sanded down and primed (still wet)! I will have to touch up a few spots, but it's coming along and should be ready for the gloss black coat soon. Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 14, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

From
    Fayetteville, AR

**** that's NICE!!!!

Makes me want to get back to work on mine!!!!

That looks great! Can't wait to see the rest. By the way, i'm new to the board so just trying to make my way around.

From
    London, UK

I should really get one of these with a glass top as a dining room table. Think of the dinner parties!

From
    Garland, TX

Thanks for all the comments! Skor, that would be quite the conversation piece.

Here's Han in Gloss Black. The weather's been a bit humid lately so it's messing up with my drying time. May have to give it a couple of more days before I can shoot the metallic paint on the frame.

Here's a shot of the finished mesh box for Panel #2 and a resin copy on the left.

Here's the actual prop of panel #2 and mine mocked up below it. May get a chance to paint it up this weekend.

Thanks again for looking!
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 17, 2010 at 12:57 AM.

From
    Fayetteville, AR

Continuing to look incredible!!

I'm DEFINITELY going to have to finish mine up.

Amazing!!!

From
    Garland, TX

Thanks again fellas. So here's the panels for #5 and #4 and they are very similar in details.

Here's panel #3 and it's also very similar to the previous 2 panels.

Here's the prop pic of panel #2. I had to cross reference a couple of pics to get all the detail right. You can see the top pic had some damage done to it (missing a decal and other parts).

Here's my panel #2 pic.

Another pic with a little different lighting to knock down some of the sheen of the chrome so you can see the details a bit better.

Now for panel #1 which might take some time due to wanting to light it. Stay tuned and thanks again for looking!
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM.

From
    Fayetteville, AR

Panels looking sweet!

Skor said: View Post
    I should really get one of these with a glass top as a dining room table. Think of the dinner parties!
    LMAO!!! that would be cool!! i wonder how u make Han though...do u have to buy it or is it posible to just by a cast of it or something like that? i'm guessing u would put it on a gurney if u wanted to bring it a convention or sumthin...good work so far btw!

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

i had one of my rubber HIC's used as a table. it looked amazing. Another guy put one into the hood of his car. Ill see if i can find the pics.

From
    Garland, TX

Here we go with the Hero panel #1. Watched ESB to see how everything lights up. The big square blinks Green on and off when Han was being pulled out of the Carbonite pit and as he's being hauled off to Fett's ship. Each of the digital display on both of the smaller squares are blinking on and off ramdomly (may have a blinking pattern but it's hard to tell with less than 15 secs of screen time). The Green screen is off when Lando is checking to see if Han had survived the freeze and some of the round lights on the top row turns on when he turns a dial. I am going to try to get everything to light up with the blinking digital display, but I'm not going to worry about the pattern.

Here's the panel with the areas going to be lit hollowed out.

Here's the two digital displays. They were cast hollow to make it easier to cut out the counter area. Pic on the left is the straight cast. The one on the right has the areas lit hollowed out with an exacto knife. If I'm going to have each part of the digital counters blinking then it looks like I'll need 13 LEDs for this part.

I'm going to need to isolate the LEDs so there won't be any light leaks. Will use a 1/4th rod that happens to fit a 5mm LED perfectly. I crimped one end of the aluminum rod to get the shape closer to the digital display. Pic on the right is the back side with the rods superglued in place. I added exoxie putty to the backs of both to give it extra support to the aluminum rods (small pic on the bottom).

Here's the panel primed and with the white translucent plastic sheet cut and dry fitted in place kinda like what I did with the aluminum sheets for panels 3 thru 8. Translucent sheet was obtained from Mr. Wise of Rebelscum.com (thanks again!).

Here's a test shot of the LEDs to check for light leaks. All the lights will be blinking yellow on the digital displays and I have them on order, so I'm using a blue and red LED for this test til my shipment of LEDs arrive.

Til next time and thanks for looking!
    Last edited by D.Nguyen; Apr 24, 2010 at 3:51 AM.

From
    Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Wow, great looking work there friend. Its nice to see just how great your greeblies look
    installed and painted! Cant wait for a chance to start on mine (someday).
    Mike

From
    Madrid, Spain

Looks great!!

This is Alfredo from The HIC builders group. I bought the pannels from you... is there any chance to get the last things that you made and that i did not get because you did not built them by then?

Please let me know.

thanks

Alfredo

From
    Garland, TX

miqt said: View Post
    Wow, great looking work there friend. Its nice to see just how great your greeblies look
    installed and painted! Cant wait for a chance to start on mine (someday).
    Mike
    Thanks Mike! My panels do take a little work but should look OK once cleaned up and painted. I gave myself 2 months time to finish the project but it looks like I may finish well before then. Please post progress pics when you do get started.