Well, after a couple of years of putting off finishing my foam filled latex Yoda puppet, I decided to take the plunge and get him painted up.
I would have painted him right away like I did with our Darth Maul (and soon Emperor), but because I knew I was always going to want to change Yoda's pose (being a puppet and all), I didn't know what I should use on his latex skin that wouldn't end up cracking over the years.
I did some research and discovered Pax paint, which is a mixture of prose-aid and liquitex acrylics. This stuff is nasty and totally sticky. The NO TACK formula that I ended up buying removed the stickyness once dry (as advertised), but while it was wet it stuck to my skin like nobody's business. Prose aid is an adhesive meant to hold on prosthetic appliances so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. Just not used working with a paint with those characteristics to say the least. I'm just now getting my feet wet with this kind of work, so I'm learning as I go.
I mixed up a color palette and set off on painting him up. I'm still not 100% satisfied though. I think I need to slightly darken some of the darker tones (which will increase the contrast), but that's about it.
Then i'll have to spray acrylic matte sealer to remove any shine. It's not glossy now (even though it looks like it in the pics), but it has a little bit of a sheen, like a super semi-gloss. Hopefully the matte sealer will do it's job.
It's nuts just how different the colors look in person under different lighting conditions. Not to mention how different lighting affects the way the pics end up looking. It was a bit nerve racking for me to settle on his colors, and for a long while ended up chasing my tail going back and forth altering them. I'm pretty satisfied with it now though.
After making those slight changes I mentioned above, I'm going to get hard to work on distressing his robes. I'll take some more pics after that.
Then all that will be left is to do is punch the hair, finish the nails, and get Phil to work with me on a new flute and cane.
Here's some pics. First two taken inside, last two taken outside: