Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 6, 2008, 4:43 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #26

HOLY COW! That is AWESOME!!! Really man, that is like crazy talent!!! :thumbup
    Oct 6, 2008, 5:12 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #27

Totally cool Brian...
    Oct 6, 2008, 6:07 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #28

Yeah, totally cool looking! I like that visor/frown look. Nice idea with the fan too.
    Oct 10, 2008, 1:44 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #29

I love this thread! So much so that yesterday I purchased one of these with the intention of modding it.

Great work Brian!
    Oct 10, 2008, 7:16 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #30

Deleted by "The Duck"
    Last edited by The Duck; Oct 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM.
  6. Member Since
    May 2008
    Oct 11, 2008, 8:30 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #31

Y'know, when I saw that helmet sitting in Zellers, I considered buying one, but thought that it'd look ****** plasticy. But what you've been able to do... that looks pretty good. Even with just the slight modification to the visor, it looks awesome. I may have to pick one up now
    Oct 12, 2008, 4:25 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #32

Deleted by "The Duck"
    Last edited by The Duck; Oct 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM.
    Oct 12, 2008, 4:38 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #33

Quote The Duck said: View Post
    Well, you have all inspired me and frightened me at the same time! However, I have now started the design of my "bounty hunter" using the Hasbro Clone Helmet as my base. When you see my initial picture, most of you will know where I got my ispiration from. I even have a back story as to why the helmet will look like it will. I do plan on adding accoutrements to it, but am as of yet, undecided as to what and where.

Secondly, the armor will be a hybrid as well, much like the helmet.

So, let me know what you think and I will GLADLY take any suggestions. Keep in mind, it is just the initial planning stage and I have yet to come up with a color scheme etc.

That being said, I also want to thank everyone for just being open to let those of us out here try something non-canon. It really has made all the difference in me finally wanting to try something new!
    Quote The Duck said: View Post
    OK, I have finally come up with a color scheme. Complete with distressing... Though as you all know, that could change as things progress. Still have yet to decide on the accoutrements though.

Let me know what you think!
    I like your color scheme so much that I think it warrants it's own thread. I'd suggest you start your own thread and post your pics there so that you don't accidentially hijack the focus of this thread...that being stormtrooperguy's clone build.
    Oct 13, 2008, 12:45 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #34

I apologize to Stormtrooperguy and have since created a new thread. I shall not post here except to otherwise comment on his SPECTACULAR build!

Sorry for the inconvenience...
  10. Oct 21, 2008, 5:35 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #35

dang i wish i was that talented
  11. Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Oct 21, 2008, 11:08 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #36

lol wish i had the time to do this
    Dec 2, 2008, 12:11 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #37

bumping this back up...

i've been working on converting this to a clone wars style helmet... here's where i'm at:

i added the other side of the lip in. i still need to make the lip along the bottom more symmetrical... the right side is still a bit big. it's not as bad as it looks in the pic though... there's bondo hanging over the edge on that side, which makes it look all sorts of off... a bit of sanding is needed, but it's minor.

while doing this, i reshaped the mouth area a lot. still more to go there, but it's getting closer!

in studying the pics more, i noticed that the aotc helmet has a flat area on the mouth/chin, where the clone wars one doesn't so i got rid of said flat part.

i also shortened up the mouth. when i was adding on, i brought the lower edge down way too far. i took the front edge up by a bit over 1/4".

after all of the putty, i coated liberally with bondo.

another change i made was to make the curve at the back of the fin more dramatic.

next up i'll rough sand it all, then start building up the back. there's no point sanding it all out smooth when it's going to be getting tossed around and having more bondo on it.

the back should be pretty easy... not a whole lot of detail back there at all.
    Dec 2, 2008, 1:49 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #38

Beautiful work Brian! I love how this is going.

I keep looking at my Hasbro lid and keep thinking of starting to mod it. I just have too many jobs on at the moment. Maybe I could just steal yours?? LOL!
    Last edited by Skupilkinson; Dec 2, 2008 at 8:21 AM.
    Dec 2, 2008, 2:52 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #39

wow the work you've done on the hasbro helmet is amazing! Looking at the final product, one would never know how it started its life... Great job!
    Dec 3, 2008, 1:53 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #40

Words cannot express how impressed I am! Would you be willing to produce more of that helm?
    Dec 3, 2008, 11:01 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #41

tonight i did more bondo, and shortened the chin. i still need to clean up the edges along the bottom of the helmet... the lines are a bit wavy right now. that's tomorrow.

i also fixed up some asymmetry issues in the face, and shaped the mouth properly (no detail piece, indented further)\

as far as reproducing... once this one is done, i think it will be more than mine enough to feel ok making a few. not sure how that will work out, but i'll make sure to post about it if i do
    Dec 4, 2008, 1:41 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #42

I'll be watching out for any news.

The new pics are stunning! You've got the ear pieces sloping inwards now too eh? The attention to detail is amazing!
    Dec 4, 2008, 7:53 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #43

Wau man looking good!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dec 4, 2008, 10:42 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #44

that is awesome , i am so doing this, off to walmart!!!
    Dec 4, 2008, 11:34 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #45

Quote Skupilkinson said: View Post
    I'll be watching out for any news.

The new pics are stunning! You've got the ear pieces sloping inwards now too eh? The attention to detail is amazing!
    Yeah, the sloped ears came in this week some time... I've printed out a bunch of good clone helmet pics and have them hanging up in my work area. I'll hold the helmet up at the same angles as the pics to see if I'm on the right track. I'm still not 100% done with the bottom edge... I need to take off a bit more material, but that will wait until I have the back on the helmet, and can see how it all joins up. I'd hate to sand it down only to add it back in later.

I'm having a blast working on this. It's great seeing it coming to life.
    Dec 4, 2008, 11:52 AM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #46

I can imagine! I felt the same seeing my Mando lid come to life and now seeing my DC-17m.

Though this is much more exciting to watch.
  22. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Dec 4, 2008, 4:25 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #47

Great progress Brian.
    Dec 4, 2008, 7:19 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #48

how did you build out the lower jaw line, how did you flare it out? because on the toy helmet , you have to bring out the jaw line to make it like the clone war style.

and i like what you did to the ears., where did you find your reference for the back and sides of the helmet? i googled it and did not come up with much useable material. you mentioned you had alot of photos to go by.

thanks
    Dec 4, 2008, 9:32 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #49

and we have a helmet back now!

it's 3 layers of no parking sign glued together, with about 1/8" of bondo on the outside and a good 1/2" on the inside for strength.

i've got to sand it out smooth, then start building up the details.

the bottom edge will get shortened up as i go i'm sure, but for now it sits level, which is all i wanted.
    Dec 4, 2008, 9:37 PM - Re: yet another hasbro clone rebuild #50

Quote mrbungle said: View Post
    how did you build out the lower jaw line, how did you flare it out? because on the toy helmet , you have to bring out the jaw line to make it like the clone war style.

and i like what you did to the ears., where did you find your reference for the back and sides of the helmet? i googled it and did not come up with much useable material. you mentioned you had alot of photos to go by.

thanks
    everything is built up using plumbers epoxy and bondo. the epoxy can be sculpted, sticks to almost anything, and cures very hard, very fast. but it's expensive... i've got about $50 of the stuff in there so far, with more to go i'm sure.

the reference i'm using is mostly screen captures from the clone wars movie. i got a digital copy with the bluray dvd i got, and have taken shots as needed.

i've been putting copies of the good stuff on my web site. both my own caps and things i've found:
    http://stormtrooperguy.com/gallery/t....php?album=310