like so many others, i was inspired to get one of the hasbro voice changer clone helmets and rebuild it.
when i first saw it, i thought it had great potential. one of the local guys took pics of it beside his clone6 helmet, and the overall size/shape is similar enough in my eyes to call it a good bucket:
after chatting a bit with some other folks, i decided to build a new face plate out of thin plastic (for sale signs), and laminate that onto the front of the helmet, rather than building up filler to close the visor slit.
here it is in all of its red and white glory!
the reason for this strategy is simple. the extra thickness is minimal, but it gives you a 100% perfect front surface.
i then built up the back of the sign with epoxy putty to get my lip back to the proper thickness.
from there it was just many passes of filler / primer / sand, filler / primer / sand until i had it smooth enough to be happy.
next i built up the lip around the bottom edge a bit. i wanted it to scoop in a bit more under my chin. only to notice later that the animated style clones (what i'm going for) don't really have a lip under the edge of the helmets. ah well. it looks better in the real world this way.
now fast forward through the molding / casting part of the process, and we come to where we have a reasonably movie like clone helmet.
but that's just the beginning. i made the resin copy so that i'd have an easier material to work with, since there was more tweaking to do.
i thinned out the central fin to look more like the animated style, and completely removed the brow trim.
a couple coats of primer white, some black wash, a bit of grey acrylic and some 501st blue paint brings me here:
more weathering to do, the kill stripes, ear details... there's quite a way yet before this thing is done. but it's coming along nicely.