thanks for info. & reference pics
thanks for info. & reference pics
It's not 100% screen accurate (some of the scratches are close but not in exactly the right place) but it is pretty close!
The black scorching is next followed by an allover wash to grubby it up!
10 months since my last update I figured it was time to get this thing completed and some updates done!
Been really busy with stuff so not had chance to touch the lid for ages but I got busy with the distressing today.
Starting with the light grey airbrushing....
..and some on this side too. I slowly darkened the grey in 20% increments so there's 5 shades by the next photo...
Here's where I am about now. I've got to stencil the grey scorching on the left lower side but that it the painting nearly done.
A little more distressing on the chipped silver and little here and there.
More updates soon (hopefully!)
Now that's an update!
Looking really good, Rich. Love that last shot. The airbrushed weathering
gives it that nice, grungy appearance.
When I did my Richie's Armor Y-Wing helmet, I think I used four different colors
for the airbrushed weathering. A couple of grays, an earthy brown, and a sort
of rusty color (applied very sparingly.)
Got a little more done. Drilled the hole for the mic. Added more scorching, more fine scratches. Also added some subtle paint that a lot of people miss...
(Actual Prop) The grey bands on the inner edge, these aren't symetrical but they're no the prop either!
(Actual Prop) Some yellow over spray that is pretty much the width of my masking tape that runs straight through the Yamaha greeblie.
..also the left hand side lower scorching where there would have been a greeblie before someone (George?) removed it.
..and that's where I'm pretty much up to.
Next is maybe a final bit of distressing on the top. Find and fix the 9 screws and final fit (with aluminium) of the goggles.
This is really cool! Not a helmet I've seen too often!
Thankyou! I just wished I was quicker! Working on this and other projects on and off means it's taken longer than I hoped!
Nice work Dex, emailed you a few time but no reply but I know your busy so when your ready is fine mate I need to chat to you.
Hi Bobatrooper, just sent you an email. Thanks for the kind words by the way!
Since the last update I've added the 9 brass screws and distressed them with paint so they look tired and tarnished.
Cut some steel rod to size, added the mic tip and added some rubber piping.
Cut a piece of leatherette and wrapped it around some plastic tube for the front padding section....
Bonded in the mic, the leatherette section, bonded the goggles in permanently now.
..and I'm getting close now! I'm still considering screen printing some decals for the front.
I may add a touch more scorching, but I think I'm about 95% there!! Taken me waaayyyy too long!!
Happy with the results though!!
Thhey looks fantastic,Rich! Great work!
hey Dex that looks fantastic hope mine looks that good when its done, but need to know where you get the visor as I need one and can only find xwing fighter ones and it don't look right am I best scratching one or you know where I can bag one of them.
What method did you use for the fine nicks and scratches? Love the effect.
Hi the visor I formed myself with a vacuum former, there's pictures of the former on page 1. If I were you yes, I'd scratch build one.
The scratches, if you mean the chips? The whole thing was painted silver first and maskol-ed where I wanted to leave silver (chipped though the paint). The upper layers of paint were added while keeping the lower layers masked, the stuff is rubber based so I rubs off easily. Are those the scratches you meant?
The technique is much the same as those in the Boba Fett helmet build up's on here. Some of the "really" fine marks were literally scraping through the dark paint while it was still soft. Not too deep, just deep enough!
It will take you a good while to do if you do it properly enough to look convincing! The time spent is worth it though!!
Hope this helps!!
I know this is an old thread but thought I would post up a couple of my Y Wing helmet pics that I got from Rich. Im most of the way through and still have to attach visor, chin padding, mic and going to install inner knee pad foam, along with some more minor weathering etc
My first time using enamel paint and the layered paint effect. Just want to say a HUGE thanks to Rich firstly for his awesome helmet but more so for being really patient with all my questions and giving great advice. Thanks mate
Joshimus that's looking really good, do you have the paint colours you used as I cant seem to get my ones right.
Yeah, that looks nice. I like the weathering. Great work.
Hi, no problem Josh! I've only just seen the updates on this thread. Glad you're happy with the lid! Looks great.
Bobatrooper - the paint you may have to tint a touch but most were off the shelf Humbrols. If you get really stuck ask and either I or Josh will be able to advise you on colours.