Amazing looking mold!
Amazing looking mold!
Thanks dude! Its a good job we have the internets these days! The tutorials of Heatshocks, Evo3 and Volpin Props helped me no end!
Rich - was my pleasure mate, the more UK makers the better in my book ;P
mold looks excellent !!!! Very nice work mate
and dont sell yourself short mate, you obviously already knew a lot of what I was talking abt - glad I could help
good luck with your castings!
Having gelcoated and glassed the 2 sides late last week, I removed the 2 halves today from the moulds.
In these pics the majority of the sanding is done, just a little more to do before bonding the helmet together.
Once done it will be time to trim the front section out and starting thinking about making a former for the visor.....
This is really a good looking build.
I may have missed it, but is scale 1:1 with the screen used version?
There is a Pep version available, but seems a little small.
Hi, yes full size with dimensions as close as I can guestimate!
It started with a (Medium) 80's motorcycle helmet as a start point (as you can see in this picture here)
Well I don't know how many I'm making yet (this is #1). It is a big helmet that will need padding so your head sits where it should.
It's not that its oversize and the start point was a Medium...
I'll have a measure and let you know.
If it's an option and the sizing works out, I'd be interested.
Either way its nice to see the process.
Looks fantastic,Rich and I am sure it had the correct scale!
Hi Dex, any more work on this? Are you considering doing a run?
Hi, Im just doing the finishing touches on the buck for the vacuum formed goggles. I want to do some orange some pink. I'll add a picture of the buck shortly and hopefully I can get some done soon!
To answer your question, a small run yes! The 2 I've made are both fibreglass. Slushcast resin would be neater, but not as tough...
I'll upload some pics again soon!
Hey Dex - nice to see u still on the project :D
btw tough is a relative term IMHO. PU resin isnt as intrinsically hard as FG/PE resin, but it has a little more give; ie flexibility. I have tried with my own GM and have had stories of other makers, with dropping of slushed casted helmets that they do literally bounced with little or no damage. What they are though, is a little heavier than FG helmets.
give a go mate, the way you have made your mold you could easily experiment with slushing! Add to that the 1hr -1.5hr from 1st pour to demold time is a big bonus too.
Cool, look forward to seeing how your visors come out.
I don't know anything about molding and casting, so I will say. . . make them out of high carbon steel! That's as easy as resin, right? :lol
I have no idea! I'll stick with GRP though! With these being 3-4 layers of resin and matting they're pretty tough! Carbon fibre mat looks cool though I grant you!
Thanks Heatshock! Oh yes still on the case, just been doing a bit on the dalek & University deadlines so been delayed a little bit. I may still have a go at slushing one yet...this cold weather isn't making me feel like doing much though...bring on the Spring! Brrr.....
Wow, you really did an excellent job capturing the look. I always liked this style helmet a bit more than the other rebel pilots for some reason. It's about time someone did this helmet some justice. :thumbsup Please add me to the list of interested.
That's coming along really well! :) I've managed to find the correct mic tip although I'm still in the process of finding the correct military connector which sits under the chin. ywingfighter did find the correct female connector which is attached on top of the bucket. The part under the yamaha greeblie is something I think will never be discovered and therefore will have to be made from scratch. Unlike the RA kit, this has quite spot on dimensions!
Thanks for the nice comments people!
I know I'm a bit slow, but I get there eventually!
The dimensions, and shapes I've tried to get as correct as I possibly could and although I was only ever going to build one, I will do a small run!
Here's a few more update pictures (complete with action figure!) The former is now as good as done with quite a good return on the inside of the helmet, so it looks like either me or someone over here in the UK is going to be vacuum forming soon!
Soon as I get some done (in both colours) I'll upload some more.... :)
Ooooh, shiny! :)
looks outstanding! I love that you're doing the A-wing, don't see it done often.
Found the military connector!Attachment 58294
The ribs on the right part are too tight together, don't think this is the exact one which was used on the prop.
Yes skynet your right,but found the correct Endpart!Attachment 58313
Thanks ywingfighter (Frank) for hunting these bits and pieces down!
Between us we'll have all the greeblies to complete the helmets (or 1 variant of the helmets at least) with all the common, buttons, mic tips, connectors and Yamaha engine cover pieces, so that's cool.
I'm hopefully doing some vac forming Tuesday, so I'll let everyone know how that works out!