Subscribe
    Jan 28, 2008, 6:17 PM - "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #1

Hey all!
    I've been playin' around with Smooth On's "Foam It" and "Flex Foam" products for a while, with little, single parts and things;but have yet to do a full size,'Stunt' peice.
    While at an armor party with the Old Line Garrison, I was challenged by some of the members, including Scott and Charlie of AW Studios, to make a light, full foam pistol or rifle for trooping. Having squired once before, I've already seen my share of dropped E-11's and FX lightsabers.

Since I've been a Ghostbead for the last few years, it was refreshing to do a new prop. So, to start out slow, I picked the Biker Scout pistol.

Reference was hard to come by, but since I was doing a rubber stunt version, noone had any objections to using the heavily used stunt from the Visual Dictionary.

I scuplted the master from sintra sheet, resin, and putty. I was able to get an old, nasty mold from AWS and contact they had in the 501st, and I used bits from that to create the 'rodding' along the top and side.

I also was lucky to get to play around with a Sinlgepoint scope, and then scratchbild a nice look-a-like for casting.

I did a simple jacketed two part mold, buffered in foam instead of fiberglass. Once cured and split up, I painted in Flex Foam 25, dyed black, which expanded twice it's depth, and formed a nice, solid rubber outer skin.

Once semi cured, I put the entire mold back together, and poured in Foam It 5, which expanded out five times and has a softer, more 'nerf' quality.

Once pulled and inspected (nice, thin mold line , air pocket in the rear :evil, I coated the sucker in some Plasti Dip aerosal, and weatherd it a bit with a silver sharpie. I also cut, bent and screwed in a nice little trigger guard, and superglued the scope on.

What do you think of the first pull??

Hope you guys like it! If I can do few more decent pulls, the plan's to expand out to ROTJ D-17's and ANH E-11's. I may even attempt a full "stunt Proton Pack!
    Jan 28, 2008, 6:30 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #2

Nice! No chance of getting a FN 5.7 like there?
    Jan 28, 2008, 6:54 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #3

Looks good!
    Jan 28, 2008, 8:19 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #4

I like it.

NERF-quality softness, you say? Can you do a saber hilt out of it?

Seriously, could you?
    Jan 28, 2008, 8:22 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #5

that looks great! foam-it, huh? i've been making serenity grenades, and making foam ones would be awesome.
    Jan 28, 2008, 8:43 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #6

Quote Zurath Kodul said: View Post
    I like it.

NERF-quality softness, you say? Can you do a saber hilt out of it?

Seriously, could you?
    Sure could! I'm dying to do a Fett blaster, but tha's after all the trooper stuff.

Glad you guys like!!
    Jan 28, 2008, 8:44 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #7

Very Cool, Looks Great!
    Jan 28, 2008, 9:23 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #8

Awesome job! Can't wait to see what else you can come up with!

Am watching this post!

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Jan 28, 2008, 9:24 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #9

I think an inexpensive foam fett blaster would be a wonderful and welcome addition to the items already out there. Looking forward to that!

-Matt
    Jan 29, 2008, 9:33 AM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #10

Quote Hotshot said: View Post
    Sure could!
    Cool!! I'm going to have to take a pic or two of my saber and send to you. I get tired of carrying a FX everywhere and a faom belt-hanger would be great
    Jan 29, 2008, 2:11 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #11

Quote jawafive said: View Post
    I think an inexpensive foam fett blaster would be a wonderful and welcome addition to the items already out there. Looking forward to that!

-Matt

Ditto! Even a base foam gun with hard plastic greebles for the added detail would be awesome, not to mention much cheaper!
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Jan 29, 2008, 3:11 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #12

Very nice work!
    Jan 29, 2008, 5:49 PM - Re: "STUNT" Biker Scout pistol, or "Fun with Foam!" #13

I'll get started right away on a fett gun(rotj first)!!! always wanted to build one!!