Up next - Epaulets
Great thread, I love this kind of stuff!
Keep up the good work.
Working on the mantle...not too much longer before it's ready...
Very nice will!
Thanks again bro!
More progress pics on the epaulets: (special thanks to Gatzski for inspiration on the design)
Mocked up a quick comparison photo just to see what it looks like. Pretty happy with it
More to come
Seriously awesome stuff RKD. Of course we expect none-the-less from you bro.
Thanks again Vult! Appreciate the kind words!
Got some more progress to report. I finally finished up the boot armor and got them to the point where I feel happy enough with them to call them good. I figure I've spent at least around 10-12 hours on them when it was all said and done. There were a lot of warping shapes and off-mirror issues that had to be dealt with not to mention flat spots that had to be smoothed out. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you all think!
And of course the obligatory family photo...haven't done one of these in quite a while lol
That's it for now. Gonna take a break for a bit and start up next on the dreaded helmet O.o
Last edited by redkraytdragon; Feb 15, 2013 at 6:36 AM.
This what you were doing last night huh
Looks great. The boot armor looks nice. The only problem I can see is that all those parts aren't boxed up and headed to my house.
Haha you know it Dom!
You're absolutely right FF! Send me your addy and we'll get that issue resolved
That's gonna be hard to wear, but I think I can make it work.
Good to see you back in the shop. I am glad things are getting better for you. Keep up the good work on this.
Not too much more to report. Making some headway on the dome and skirt with the foam.
Had to make some circular templates for the skirt base as well as some 'step up' templates for each section as I go closer to the top
Next I cut these up on the band saw to get a closer profile to work with....a bit tedious and time consuming, but it'll save me a ton of time down the road
And working my way up to the dome
Rinse and repeat for the other side...only mirrored of course
A quick top view to check my progress...this was actually the SECOND time I had to do this grrrr due to the fact that I didn't account for the proper angles going up and had used the same circular template as I did for the base of the skirt for the rest of the pieces....had to start over from the ground up but got it right as I figured out what I did wrong. Lesson learned
Then I moved on to the front brow on the right side
Rinse and repeat mirror-like
That's it for now, stay tuned folks...LOTS more left to do on this
That looks great! what a cool way to build the helmet!
Brilliant work as always! Can't wait to see the next update(s)!
Thanks for all the great comments and encouragement as always guys! I hope to have more progress to share very soon
Gearing up for a local con, so I decided to get a display setup ready for the 501st table. This was a LOT more work than I originally anticipated (it doesn't help that I did it mostly all in 2 days either), but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out...plus I'll have this for future cons and events so it was worth the trouble.. A nice break from the helmet sculpt too
Here's some pics
That's it for now kiddies!
Very nice. Great colors and weathering. I don't need a GM. I don't need a GM. I don't need a GM. If I say it enough times maybe I will start believing it.