Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 1, 2013, 5:39 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #26

Quote 22ssplt said: View Post
    Any chance you could cast this to offer them?
    It’s awesome you think they are could enough to re-produce them, but I’m not building these helmets with re-production methods in mind…for me it’s purely the fun of constructing them and have them on display at home.

- - - Updated - - -

While the mask progresses I started thinking of the “eyes” and how to create them. The lenses of a toy Vader helmet are too small. Lenses of sunglasses aren’t spherical enough, I even thought of heating a flat piece of transparent plastic over a large spoon (actually not a bad idea) Then I remembered a store that sells half transparent plastic spheres. I bought a set of 12 cm diameter and they fit perfectly in the eye sockets. Now it will be more easy to construct the cap of the mask.

2. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Nov 5, 2013, 6:47 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #27

Oh man, you are amazing. Way to go! Super excited to see the end result.
    Nov 7, 2013, 6:04 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #28

Next update on the mask, I created the dome of the mask. Initially I also made a back part for a full dome, though it fitted on my head it was too big to fit inside the helmet. I cut the back part off the dome, visually it does not matter because it’s not in sight, so now I’m thinking of installing a couple of elastic bands on the back side so it will fit over and stay on my head.

Had a lot of trouble with the pipes on the sides of the cheeks. A complete pipe was not flexible enough to get it to curve, now I used a half “U” pipe which warps better, but I never expected it would be so hard to glue those pipes. Though bought at the same model store the pipes are from a different kind of plastic then the plates I used on the cheeks. I use Revell plastic model glue, normally it melts and hardens perfectly, but the pipes don’t and kept popping loose. Super glue worked “best” after adding multiple layers and a bunch of swear words. I’m satisfied with the result, now let’s hope they stay in place (dreading the time when I’m going to install the bottom pipes!)

Nov 7, 2013, 10:25 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #29

Amazing to watch the whole process on this! Absolutely inspiring! Thanks! Already a beautiful piece of work.
    Nov 8, 2013, 9:18 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #30

great work, this is a very inspiring build. you have really done the original drawings justice!
    Nov 10, 2013, 12:15 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #31

Absolutely beautiful stuff here!
    Nov 11, 2013, 5:59 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #32

Great to hear you all are enjoying the build, last weekend I have been focusing on the neck/bottom part of the mast.
    Once the neck is finished I plan to cut the back part off, so It can be attached to the front part like a neck brace.

Nov 12, 2013, 1:41 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #33

Fantastic build! Just loving it!
  9. Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Nov 20, 2013, 2:25 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #34

Wow this is coming along great.
    Nov 22, 2013, 7:22 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #35

A couple of busy weekends, so I had to put the helmet down for a while…not necessarily bad,
    it made me reflect and decided to remove the neck brace and make a new one.
    I wasn’t satisfied with the first one, it looked like it had no logical shape.
    Now I rebuild one that flows more and fits the design of the mask.
    Also took a little bit off the rim of the helmet. Now it resembles the illustration more.

Next I will add a layer of fiberglass and filler to the dome of the helmet, neck brace and top of the mask.

11. Nov 22, 2013, 10:39 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #36

This is AWESOME! Nice work buddy!
    Nov 24, 2013, 2:55 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #37

Thanks "Darth VoorHees" it's a fun project, translating a concept sketch into a 3D model.

--

first layer of fiberglass applied to the helmet and mask

Nov 26, 2013, 3:52 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #38

First layer of filler applied, also sanded roughly.
    Note: the helmet is positioned loosely on the mask, now it’s too low at the back.
    Eventually it will be a bit higher so that the back side of the neck brace will be visible below the helmet.

Nov 26, 2013, 7:43 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #39

Absolutely amazing work ! Have you put any thought into the paint color ? I want to repaint a vader helmet the same. Most images can seem black but with different lighting the blue or purple tones show up. I'm really bad with colors so I'm hoping you can help
    Nov 27, 2013, 3:18 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #40

Man this thread just keeps getting better and better...keep up the great work and keep those pics comin'!
    Nov 27, 2013, 5:34 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #41

That is just a bloody awesome scratch build! cant wait to see the finished lid.
    Nov 27, 2013, 7:26 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #42

Quote Drewski said: View Post
    Absolutely amazing work ! Have you put any thought into the paint color ?
    Hey Drewski,

I have been thinking about what paint to use. With my concept Fett helmet I figured out that a flat paint job works best, it somehow fits the concept sketches of McQuarrie better. For instance the helmet in the top Vader illustration looks more flat surfaced then shiny. And You are right about the bleu-ish colors. It’s caused by reflection of surrounding light. In the McQuarrie visual it comes from the light saber.

I think I will simulate the bleu effect by doing a “negative” weather job. Instead of using a dark color to whether I will use a lighter grey/bleu color on the flat black surface. Not sure if it will work, but there is no harm in trying.
    Nov 27, 2013, 12:56 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #43

Yes, i have a painting by Christian Waggoner that has both the red and blue reflections from the sabers. Almost everybody that has made artwork, statues or costumes has incorporated the blue color. I was thinking about cars i have seen with pearl or candy paint jobs, The translucent colored top-coat is more or less visible in different lighting conditions. I have a local car paint supplier i will ask to get his thoughts about what we see in photos.
    Nov 29, 2013, 3:34 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #44

Latest update…a lot of sanding and dust!
    Still some little potholes to be filled but the general shapes are really smooth.
    Added some more detail to the mask, sharpened the outline of the eyes.
    The pictures with the helmet are roughly the position I want it to be relative to the mask.
    This way it looks best like in the concept illustration.

Nov 30, 2013, 2:44 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #45

SUPERB!!!
    Nov 30, 2013, 2:57 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #46

Just awesome
    Dec 6, 2013, 7:16 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #47

You make it look so easy!! awesome work
    Dec 7, 2013, 7:35 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #48

Haha…I leave the swears, curses and failed build attempts out of this report, you know.

Talk about easy, had a hard time figuring out how I would mount the mask to the helmet. There is a “void” between the helmet dome and the mask dome, positioning it would be tricky. I figured I would need at least 3 point to bolt the helmet. For this I would need a flat surface. Had some unsuccessful tries. In the end I figured the best way was to make a flat deck inside the helmet dome and flatten the top of the mask dome. I only needed to position the mask so that the eyebrows of the helmet lined up symmetrically with the mask and then drill the holes. Hope it will stay fixed.

Dec 8, 2013, 2:57 PM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #49

Just beautiful, man...
    Dec 15, 2013, 8:08 AM - Re: Sratch build McQuarrie concept Vader helmet. #50

Hey Onno, the helmet is looking awesome, the dome fastening is well done too. Paint comment follow-up; I found this vader pic and reminded me to look at car colors. My Vader repaint will have this Porsche midnight blue pearl, it looks black until some light hits it. Just sharing an idea, hoping to see this project done soon, Take care !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue vader 3.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	536.1 KB 
ID:	73463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porsche 996tt midnight blue 1.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	73464
    Last edited by Drewski; Dec 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM.