Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Jan 19, 2009, 5:15 PM - Sci-Fire TDH Clone Trooper WIP #1

All right folks, jumping on my third Clone Trooper build-out (film not animated). This kit is by the good guys at Sci-Fire. My first complete clone was a Clonesix suit (built to be Commander Bacara specific) which I sold to whistle8mp recently (July 2008). I miss that suit terribly but due to significant weight loss, it was time to build out a new suit of armor to reflect my new physique.

The intent behind this build-out is to create a final, multi-functional clone, wherein I will be able to simply switch out accouterments between various Commanders (primarily with my custom snow clone, Commander Voltaire) and of course, preserve the ability suit-up as a simple Phase One AOTC Clone Trooper.

To start this build-out, I will be kicking off with the belt, boxes and thermal detonator, as I have those items in possession now. As of this initial post, I have not purchased the armor as of yet, and will very shortly.

Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Aug 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM.
    Jan 19, 2009, 5:49 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #2

Looking forward to following this, oh and PM sent
  3. Jan 27, 2009, 3:22 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #3

All right, here is an update on the first phase of the Sci-Fire belt buildout.

EDITED August 6, 2011 - going in direction with regard to the belt. New belt project to be documented in the Part Two thread of this build, located here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f47/c...part-ii-34386/
    Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Aug 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM.
    Jan 27, 2009, 3:34 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #4

Quote Replicant Shadow said: View Post
    As I build-out this new suit of armor, I will be using my new 65" TV to analyze screen images
    LOL....thank God you have a 65" TV, as anything smaller would be woefully insufficient for this analysis!
  5. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2009, 3:36 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #5

Something about the floating ammo boxes is just cracking me up... but I'll bet anyone with resin ammo boxes is eying those with envy!
    Jan 27, 2009, 3:56 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #6

Quote ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    Something about the floating ammo boxes is just cracking me up... but I'll bet anyone with resin ammo boxes is eying those with envy!
    Rubber Belt Box, you're the one,
    You make bath time lots of fun!
    Rubber belt box, I'm awfully fond of you...
    Bo-Bo-Bodie-oh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtWfT...eature=related

-C
    Jan 27, 2009, 4:41 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #7

Very nice James! Did the belt boxes come already contoured for the belt? You didn't have to cut them to make them flush with belt did you? Looking good dude! Can't wait to see the whole Sci-Fire clone armor completed!
  8. Jan 27, 2009, 4:43 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #8

Yep, contoured as designed, no cutting necessary
    Jan 27, 2009, 4:53 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #9

Quote Replicant Shadow said: View Post
    Yep, contoured as designed, no cutting necessary
    Sweet! That's why John said that this kit will be easier to build compared to existing clone kits.
  10. Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Jan 27, 2009, 6:00 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #10

can't wait to see the complete kit!
  11. Jan 27, 2009, 7:05 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #11

Quote ART ANDREWS said: View Post

Ha! Yeah, it was bizarre to come back to the sink to shut the water off to see them floating around. This belt will be fairly light when finished. I am diggin' the fact that there was no sanding involved in the clean up of the boxes. :thumbup
    Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Jan 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM.
  12. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Jan 27, 2009, 7:36 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #12

That is one sexy belt you got there

Just curious,
    Why did you start with the belt?
  13. Jan 27, 2009, 7:43 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #13

It was all that was available initially, many, many months ago. I won't do any final trimming of the length until I am finished assembling the entire armor, for a final, optimum look and fit.
    Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Jan 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM.
    Jan 27, 2009, 8:15 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #14

Like this? Rock on RS! Good to see you back on track dude!
    This was my first test fit a couple weeks ago working out the bugs and strap lengths. The suit is AWESOME! I love my rig!
  15. Jan 28, 2009, 11:58 AM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #15

Looking good Morgue! Yep, I realized last night it has been exactly two years since I started on my Clonesix armor project. Time sure flies!
    Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Jan 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM.
  16. Jan 28, 2009, 1:31 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #16

Last night, after talking up a storm on the phone with Slavefive (armor is shipping overnight today!) I proceeded to add additional detail to the belt. The belt itself is awesome, and the imbedded fabric on the unseen backside not only adds flexibility, but addtional durability.

In the images below, you will see where I added this extra detail. With the center rectangular portions of the belt, I added solid, pre-cut 1/4 round solid tube styreene to the sides of the rectangles, as per reference. The porous nature of the material used to make the belt (for optimum paint adhession) made it easy for the super glue gel to properly interact (I used Loctite brand Super Glue Gel) with the tube styreene, for permanent placement. I used the gel as opposed to regular formula super glue, as the belt material would have soaked it up immediatly.

I addition to the side detailing, I also added super thin, sheet styreene to the surfaces of the exposed center belt recantangles, and also in the smaller areas in between, effectively plating these exterior areas (again using Loctite super glue gel, brushed on evenly). The intent is to airbrush these areas with traditionally formulated, non-water based paint, for a smoother finish and weathering foundation. These areas will be masked off prior to applying the appropiate flex-agent based paint to the rest of the belt:

Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Jan 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM.
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 Bountyone's Avatar
    Jan 28, 2009, 2:33 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #17

Looks like your tile could use some regrouting James

Nice work so far, will this be done in time for Wondercon??
  18. Jan 28, 2009, 4:37 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #18

Wont be ready for Wondercon. Though I will probably not attend this years any way. I have to many out of town things already planned and plus a huge wedding to attend in Hawaii in May. The dollar and time can only go so far, especially in this fierce economic climate.
    Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Jan 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM.
  19. Jan 29, 2009, 3:25 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #19

After studying and re-reviewing countless reference images, I identified what I believe to be the correct placement of the two main, front ammunition boxes. With that in mind, I was required to move the boxes further inward toward one another, which then required me to add additional detail to the belt, to compensate for the movement of the boxes. I used styreene strips, cut to the appropiate size, to replicate the appropiate look. Again, I used Loctite Super Glue Gel, and once this stuff sets, it ain't coming off (see images below)

Of course, I do not intend to permanately install any of the utility boxes onto the belt, until the armor is fully completed, as I may need to sacrifice detail over practicality. As it stands now though, I am 100% greenlighted on placement of the front main boxes, based on my current physique and curvature when the belt is worn.

As you will also see in the images, I have painted the main front boxes. I decided to use Tamiya Fine White Primer and Tamiya Pure White, for all the belt boxes and added plastic detail. I washed the boxes again, in warm water, with a minute drop of dish soap, to remove any remaining mold release that might have been on the parts. Once I thoroughly dried the parts, I took a blow dryer to mildly heat the surfaces of the parts (mildly warm to touch only!!) and then I procedded to apply two light coats of primer. An hour later, I came back an applied two light coats of the Tamiya white paint. So far, so good! The boxes look amazing!

Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Jan 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM.
  20. Jan 29, 2009, 3:47 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #20

While I was posting the above update, this arrived.......thank you Slavefive! Stoked!
    Jan 29, 2009, 5:43 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #21

Cool thread! Will be keeping an eye on it. Love the attention to detail
  22. formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    Jan 29, 2009, 6:02 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #22

Very nice James. I too will be watching closely.

Can I ask who the belt maker is?

Bobby
  23. Jan 29, 2009, 6:13 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #23

The belt is Sci-Fire
  24. Jan 30, 2009, 2:32 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #24

Last night I began the process of unpacking the armor. The raw pulls are the cleanest I have ever seen, no question. The surface areas are smooth throughout, with no rippling of the plastic. I popped in Iron Man, called a girlfriend over, and I promptly began working on a forearm. The Iron Man soundtrack is great for setting the armor building "tone" LOL.

Let's just say that I was done, trimming to fit my forearm (rightside) within an hour. I trimmed off an excess of an 1" inch of material off the two indvidual forearm parts, and an roughly an 1" 1/4 inch off the back ends (shortening the length) and the two pieces clamshell/align perfectly, and still look very accurate as far as mass and scale. I also trimmed and excess of a 1/2 inch total of material off the right bicep halves, and those parts clamshell perfectly! I will post images on the leftside forearm and bicep proceedures over the weekend. Left my camera at the office last night. I am BLOWN AWAY by the precision and simplicty!

Below is the primary frontal reference image I am utilizing at this time. I am doing everything possible to capture the overall essence as seen below, which to me conveys that "hermetically-vacummed sealed" look. Though, the cod/abplate is Pre-Pro in this image, I will not be going with this set-up; rather the ab and cod as seen on the majority of clones, especially from Revenge of the Sith.

Last edited by Replicant Shadow; Feb 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM.
    Jan 30, 2009, 4:26 PM - Re: Sci-Fire TDH Clonetrooper WIP #25

Nice to see you back dude. Sweet set of armor and cant wait to see your build!