Working on something non-Fett related (for a change.)
I've always liked the different looking helmets used by the Rebel Alliance, especially the different designs for the pilots. I ordered a Y-Wing helmet kit from Richie's Armor about 3 weeks ago, and it got here yesterday.
Great looking kit, and he got it out to me nice and quick!
The kit consists of 2 vac-formed styrene shells (left and right), a clear tinted visor, 2 strips of black edging, and several small greeblies for detailing. It even includes a length of flexible coated wire to make the microphone boom. Here's the contents of the kit.
Here's a tighter shot of the resin detail bits. No trimming had been done on these for this shot. These are "as received."
Construction of the main helmet was very straightforward. I cut several small tabs from extra styrene, and after lining up the 2 shells, superglued them in place. I just did that to keep everything aligned while I got my JB Kwik ready. Then I applied that all along the inside of the seam. I worked it in small section cuz that stuff kicks pretty fast!
Once the JB Kwik had dried, I went back along the outside of the seam and puttied it. The stuff I use is similar to 1-part Bondo. I bought it while I was stationed in Germany and I've had this tube for over 4 years. It's still going strong! It dries pretty fast and sands to a really smooth finish.
I applied some extra putty to the chin area, which was kind of "sunk" where the 2 halves came together. I built it up to a flatter surface, taking some extra care to blend it in well. Here it is after sanding.
I'm off to the hobby shop in a little bit to grab some primer, and then I'll see how the putty looks. If it needs touch ups, I'll do that later tonight.
More to come!