Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 24, 2009, 3:24 PM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #51

Quote Trooper937 said: View Post
    that makes sense,but what do the guys who sell armour on ebay use to make copies,silicon?
    armor and helmets are usually different.

helmets you usually make a silicone mold then produce the helmets out of some sort of resin.

armor is usually vacuum formed plastic, pulled over a positive that you make out of something durable (plaster, wood, etc...)

in addition to the numbers above, there's a cost for resin too... around 20 - 25 US a helmet.

it's a LOT cheaper to buy a helmet than scratch build / mold / cast. the latter only makes sense when you plan to make a bunch of helmets.
    Jul 24, 2009, 3:32 PM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #52

Yeah, or if you want a helmet that is hard to find or unavailable.
    Jul 24, 2009, 4:08 PM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #53

Do you guys thik i should continue with the build or just save some coins and get an efx helmet.But are there any shops,sellers that sell their casted helmet.I was almost excited when i found star fotress,but now distrust them from comments.By the way,why don't everyone vacuum form their helmet?(sorry abt asking too much questions).Ayway,back to the main topic,should i continue,or is it to sh~~ to continue
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Jul 24, 2009, 4:53 PM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #54

You can't vacuum form clone helmets. vacuum forming doesn't grab hard angles, to do that you need to cast a liquid into a negative mould. There are a few people that sell copies of clone helmets. They usually start at around the 200 usd mark. If all you want is a clone helmet, just buy one and paint it. If you're interested in learning to make things, stick at it but bare in mind it can take years to learn. I've been messing around sculpting things for around 8 years, before my sculptures started looking right, I had a lot that looked aweful (not that there isn't still a lot of room for improvement)
    Jul 24, 2009, 4:59 PM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #55

you don't really vac clone helmets because you can't get the same level of detail as you can with silicone. plus, you can make it all in 1 piece, rather than several. i've seen some vac formed clone helmets and they all have looked a bit marshmallowy.

stormtroopers / tie / at-at and the like are vac formed in pieces, just like the originals. but they have softer features than the clones anyway.

as for whether it's worth doing... that's up to you. are you having fun? if so, keep at it.
    Jul 24, 2009, 5:00 PM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #56

NZ's right bro. Sounds like you're alowing yourself to be defeated? Or put off by the cost maybe?

I get tempted to buy helmets, sometimes I do but I really get a buzz out of seeing something I created take shape. Then to be able to wear it and show it off after the hard work is done? Priceless!

But going back to what NZ said, it can indeed take years to become confident in your abilities and to build up the knowledge required. I still consider myself a newbie at building,sculpting and moulding and casting. I'm constantly learning new tricks and sometimes discovering a few by myself.

I can understand the financial reasons for wanting to jack it in but don't be put off by the challenge.
    Jul 25, 2009, 9:59 AM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #57

Alright,i understand mates.To buy a helmet is for people who want a helmet,but to make a helmet is for people who enjoy the helmet and have a passion.I think i will do both now,u lot has inspired me
    Jul 26, 2009, 6:20 AM - Re: Pepakura based helmet custom changed #58

more pics will come soon lads.
    Jul 27, 2009, 8:32 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #59

WOW!!:thumbupFor a rookie thats amazingly good.To tell you the truth bro,it embarasingly high-level.I'm also new here, as i chill around clone-empire.net Wish i was that good .I'm more on phase 2 side, but phase 1 is nice.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Jul 27, 2009, 10:56 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #60

sounds like u are getting all the right advice mate

build the helmet - its great fun. just dont think you will find it cheaper. aside from all the material cost already mentioned; also think abt the amount of YOUR own time put into it. Not only in terms of paid time, but time spent away from parents, children, girlfriends, wives, friends etc

in terms of buying a lid - there are good fan sculpts that are cheaper than the eFx (*sideways glance at stormtrooper guy*). most are US based - drop me a pm if u are interested in some info.

the bay has its uses, but for a newbie - its often a minefield, lots of cheap knock-offs on the bay, and also the steal from our true artisans (recasting is BAD!). you've already taken the correct 1st step by coming on here and doing some of your basic research.
    Jul 27, 2009, 12:28 PM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #61

Understood mate.Thks for the advice.Pm me if you find some sellers.Plus,are the blister packs good?
    Last edited by Trooper937; Jul 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
    Jul 27, 2009, 10:40 PM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #62

Some advice, get yourself a mouse sander and a pack of sand papers at Walmart. Costs around 30-40 bucks (USD) and will save you a LOT of work on the sanding.

Also, how old are you??? I'm thirteen, and this is PRETTY dang good.
    Jul 28, 2009, 1:27 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #63

You gotta keep workin on your clone helmet. I have so far made 2 mando buckets, and I haven't even dreamed of attempting something as daunting as a clone bucket, and seeing your work progress, I think I can do it. I'll be pm'ing skip soon
    Jul 28, 2009, 8:33 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #64

Thks for more advice lads really helps. I will eventually purchase a mouse sander,
    by the way,
    why does everyone asks about my age, it does cause suspecion.
    Last edited by Trooper937; Aug 7, 2009 at 7:49 AM.
    Jul 28, 2009, 10:57 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #65

No, there are a LOT of younglings here, but I am one of the many 30 somethings here.
    I think they ask, because you seem to be so down on your self when you dont need to be.
    Jul 28, 2009, 11:26 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #66

I asked as I detected a hint of youth there. LOL! Also because the younger you are then generally the more limited you are for use of products/chemicals too. My daddy would never have let me use resin or body filler at the age of 16. Good thing I'm 30 now and can do whatever I want!!!!!!!
    Jul 28, 2009, 11:32 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #67

True skip, the same applies when i try buying primer and gloss paint, suspecion is raised and i'm questioned as they think i'll do grafity.

Lol, i've found a 150 watt sander(using my own cash, so cheaper the better)...is that good?
    Jul 28, 2009, 11:39 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #68

Yeah, that'll do it mate. Though because of the ammount of dust you'll kick up keep it clean as you can and wear dust masks as filler dust is nasty stuff to breath in.
    Jul 28, 2009, 11:44 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #69

Thank alot.Was wondering how you make your 3d models, so i gave it a try. 5 mins later, gave up.You must really know your software.

thks again mate.
    Jul 28, 2009, 11:47 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #70

Yeah it takes a while to pick up.

Also, buy cheap sanders mate as the fine dust when you sand ruins sanders after time so you'll always need to replace it eventually. Unless you have a pressure air hose for blowing the dust out?
    Jul 28, 2009, 7:09 PM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #71

Quote Trooper937 said: View Post
    Answer to fractal's question, I'm sixteen.Thks for more advice lads really helps. I will eventually purchase a mouse sander,
    by the way,
    why does everyone asks about my age, it does cause suspecion.
    Just wondering, the way you were a little unsure of what you made is EXACTLY how I felt when I failed* on my cardboard Bucket.

*Note, read: thought I failed.

I get weird looks when I go to home depot and buy 6 cans of spraypaint, a gallon of fiberglass resin, cans of bondo extra hardener, miscellaneous electrical parts (spark plug kind of things) and a length of wire.

I wonder why?......... :P
  22. Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Jul 29, 2009, 10:04 PM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #72

Aha, I'm 15, looking to start on a project (need to decide which one to dedicate myself too first!). Just thought I'd give you a big for this, it's hard to do things like this at our ages (especially when most people our ages apparently have slightly more... exciting uses for the materials used... so I guess they're frying their brains as we actually use ours).

Keep it up!
    Jul 29, 2009, 10:48 PM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #73

Hikarikuen, I might suggest starting with what this web forum is all about... THE FETT

get the WOF templates and some card stock and give it a try, it is much easier than the clone helmet.

Dont be afraid to ask us questions, and really dont forget to start a WIP so we can see how you're doin'.
    Jul 30, 2009, 8:43 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #74

I thought i was among 20+ people, nice to have mates my age.Hi to you guys.Thaks alot for the posts.Would really like it if you lot continue to reply.I've struck some gold at car-boot sale having found two big cans of bondo for 3. Brilliant. Still hand-sanding till i find tim to get sander.I have a slight problem.I'll show you guys with pics.

..by the way,what does WIP mean?
    Jul 30, 2009, 8:45 AM - Re: Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome) #75

Thks alot Hikarikuen.Really appreciate.(Another dump question)= whats WOF template?