As always, very nice work!

From
    Wales, UK

Re: New Templates: Republic Commando!

Thanks T, same goes for you buddy.

From
    Wales, UK

Didn't get to spend any time on this yesterday. The Mandalor or the house wanted to clean! LOL!

I tried to make up for it a bit this morning though and this is the Deece as it is now.

I've worked out how I'll be able to access the ammo counter to change LED or battery and I'll start building that part next. Then down to that (not sure what to call it) grip beneath the barrel.

I'll epoxy some magnets into the recess where the mag slots into place to hold it there. Don't want my ammo falling out in the heat of battle now do we?

From
    Wales, UK

Got another update guys.

I had no glue for three days so had nothing to do. Though I filled in some seams and gaps to try and do SOMETHING!! LOL!

I've built up more of the mid section around the ammo counter and magazine. I've also, built most of the grip(for lack of a better word) at the front too. It's still going together really well and is surprisingly sturdy and rigid for 1mm styrene. Also, there's a plate for the ammo counter display that is held on with some magnets. Then it can be removed for me to access the inside when I need to change batteries on the LED.

I've also bought some LEDs and battery connectors for this but as yet haven't put them to use. Also got me some 20mm diameter pipe on the way to use for the barrel.

Some pics? Sorry about the phone camera! I really need to get batteries for my real camera.

From
    Bs. As., Argentina

Nice DC... It's looking great!!!

From
    Wales, UK

I FOUND SOME BATTERIES! So I took clearer pics. Thanks very much Odran!

These will show up where I still need to sand and fill but it should show some more of the detail better too. Still a lot of work left to do but I'm happy with it so far, and I'm thrilled you like it too!

From
    Wales, UK

Ok, I wanted to post these pics before I go off to bed. Trying to stock up on sleep before my ik'aad arrives. LOL!

I finished the bulk of the blast shield just now. It needs a little refining and clean up but it's enough for me to show you guys. I made the flap around 4mm thick, it's hollow to allow a pin to be used as the hinge. The pin is a steel rod around 1.5mm in diameter and is strong enough to take knocks and allow movement without bending or popping out.

I still need to build in the rest of the recess where the shield closes into but that's for tomorrow. I need to add a swing arm to act as a stopper to prevent the shield from opening too far and will also have magnets that will allow it to also hold the shield in position in the open or closed positions. Again that's for tomorrow.

I'm really pleased with this bit even though I don't need it to function right now. Still, it's there in readiness for when I build the AA attachment eh?

Some pics for you to see. The last two are mainly just to show what I meant earlier about using scrap pieces to add strength to the seams and joints. Not the prettiest of work on the inside but it all serves a purpose.

Hope you like it guys, any feedback or critisism is welcome my brothers!

SLEEP?!!!! How do you ever expect to get this done with that kind of attitude?! Looking good. I like the functional blast shield/battery cover idea.

From
    Wales, UK

LOL! I know I'm such a slacker!

From
    Sydney, Australia

Wow! Skip that is brillant Ner Vode! I should pop by this site more often, look at all I've missed!

Wow!
    That's a amazing piece of work!
    Very professional look.

WOW Such beauty i want one

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks very much guys!! I'll have new pics later on.

Do you ever sleep. keep up the most excellent work. one day I will get some of your work

From
    Wales, UK

Actually I set an alarm to wake me up before the kids get up. It gives me a few hours of peace and quiet to get things done.

This morning though I slept in and didn't get up until around 6.30am. By then my two oldest are awake, so I'll catch up later now.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

That is quite impressing! I like the 1mm styrene you used, it looks extremely professional.

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks very much! I'm trying to work as cleanly as I can. Trying to keep every seam and cormer sharp. This is probably the most ambitious styrene build I've ever attempted so I'm taking alot of time to get it right.

I've just bought all of the electrical its and bits ready to light this and make it POP! Hopefully.

From
    Wales, UK

Ok, I have new pics. I had some time on this this morning so have pretty much closed up the rear end now. I had to add some serious internal support here to keep it in shape and to avoid it twisting and warping as I went along. It's all good now though.

Moving parts so far are the sliding bolt on the blaster attachment, the deployable blast shield for the AA attachment, and now an opening and closing locking clip for the different attachments. The plate for the ammo counter is also removable. I've started building the internal for that display too, not pictured.

The locking clip for the attachments serves a purpose as again I'm using magnets to enable it to lock into place to hold the attachment in place. Right now it's mostly for show but will end up serving a bigger purpose later when I make the different attachments and remove the existing blaster attachment to make that removable.

I've also bought me some new toys and supplies. I got me a new soldering iron and all the rest of the components to light this up. I'm going for green illumination over the usual blue. This is just because I like green, it matches my scheme and because who says that the lights HAVE to be blue if this isn't gonna be a Republic DC eh? LOL!

I've seen a kit out there which allows the builder to have a working counter, flashing muzzle and even sounds on their deece. I'm not going that far yet but I may at a later time.

Anyway, some pics.

Hope you still like it vode!

I tell you what, don't you just hate the way that uploading .jpg pics to photobucket degrades them??!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention. There's a little piece you see on the blast shield that shouldn't be there?? I added that to allow me to easily be able to open the shield when need be. The shield usually sits flush with the rest of the rifle casing and since I'm not using servos to open or close that shield it would be near impossible to open it with gloves on. That little flap allows me to get my thumb under it and pull the shield open.

From
    Wales, UK

I started work on a magazine yesterday, my soldering iron arrived so I couldn't wait to try out my idea.

The mag has three LEDs inside powered by a 9v battery, there's also a momentary switch in the circuit. Push in for "on", release for "off". This switch slightly pokes out through a hole in the mag casing so that when the mag is slotted into place in the rifle, the switch is pushed in and activates the LEDs. When the mag is pulled out, the lights go off. This isn't how the mag lights work in game it sems but I wanted to experiment and also thought it'd be a nice way to do it.

The whole circuit and light board are seperate from the magazine and slides inside to allow battery changes or maintenance. Magnets again hold the mag closed when I'm using it. It's still being worked on but here are some pics:

NOTE: That top plate for the mag casing will be fixed into place once I'm satisfied it all works and after I've done the transparent parts.

You can now see the circuit board.

You should be able to see the switch and it's hole here.

Lights on

The unfinished mag in place in the rifle.

The switches aren't fantastic, they need to be pushed right in to activate the LEDs, I'm hoping that magnets pulling the mag into the rifle will hold it tightly enough to push that switch in and activate the LEDs. If not then I'll need to find better switches so fingers crossed.

Later I hope to get the ammo counter done too.

Thanks brothers.

From
    Norway

Woopie doo, you nailed that helmet!

That is looking awesome bro.great job!!!

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks guys.

From
    UK

Not looked at this for a while but I must say it looks kin-awesome bruv! I can't believe how clean it looks? I'd have glue ALL over the place...

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks Mojo! Good to hear from you buddy!!

Yeah it needs a little clean up from the Milliput but it's shaping up well. I just couldn't resist trying out the lighting for the magazine. I'll finish that then get back to building the rest.