Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mods to my MR "CE" Stormie helmet

From
    Pueblo,Colorado

Re: Mods to my MR "CE" Stormie helmet

I ended up having to pay $140.00 for mine.But I don't care,It's worth it!!!

Count Dookie said: View Post
    Testors grey #1138?
    testors 1138 is what i've used. with a number like that, it's made for star wars!

From
    Newport News, VA

Well, maybe I'll get one of each of the Humbrol #5 and the Testors 1138 and see how they look.
    I just checked on the helmet and I'll definitely have to polish it a bit, the finish could stand to be smoother.
    But I'm gonna have to be patient and wait till Tuesday!
    I hate waiting.

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

Pretty cool for the money. Some simple mods, good to go!

From
    The Cold Widwest

So someone wanna volunteer to start buying us some helmets?

Dude Eric youre crazy!!! Cant wait to see it thursday!

From
    Newport News, VA

firstsonofsolo said: View Post
    Dude Eric youre crazy!!! Cant wait to see it thursday!
    Well hopefully it'll look more like a Stormtrooper bucket again instead of a blank white outline of a Stormtrooper bucket.

Not sure why anyone would completely redo this pristine bucket, but to each his own I guess.I think the bucket looks fabulous as is.So shiny and assembled very nicely.I would be scared to death that I would ruin it.You are a brave soul superjedi.lol
    however I do think I would like to do up a sandtrooper bucket with my next one.No redo, just dirtied up.
    If anyone else gets one, I recommend a seller who goes by funstuff on the bay.Very good packing, fast shipping and the buy it now is only $99 usually.

From
    Seoul, South Korea

I'm so tempted to get hold of one of these. Found a spot in the U.K. that does these for 60 Quid and free postage. Now all I have to do is sneak the cash past the Mrs without her noticing. You guys think this is possible?

No, it is not possible to sneak cash by any Mrs without her noticing. They have built in detectors and safeguards that can't be rerouted or hacked. I've tried.

From
    Seoul, South Korea

Damn!! Well bang goes that idea Back to the drawing board....(sob)

From
    Newport News, VA

The only way to get past this roadblock is to get her something of equal value.

Humbrol number 5 AD Grey is indeed correct Nice work Eric, its great to see all these threads of people destroying......err I mean correcting their MR products

yeah, really... master replicas. best prop kits in the world, some assembly required!

From
    So Cal

It might be possible...but then what will she say when a new bucket magically appears on the shelf?

Just swear that it's always been there and she's simply never noticed it before

From
    Newport News, VA

Finished!
    OK. . . OK, so I didn't stick to my original timetable. The Duplicolor white cured very nicely, and once I had polished it a bit, I used some Duplicolor clear to protect it. This was also polished with some rubbing compound and that brought it up to a very nice, natural looking shine. It's not like a mirror finish, but I think it closely approximates the gloss white-painted look of the original stunt helmets.
    Here's an overall shot.

I repainted the frown, tears, trapezoids, and ears with Testors Gray 1138. My excellent hobby shop, which normally has anything I could ever want, doesn't carry any gloss Humbrol colors.
    But comparing the Testors to the original color, I think it's a great match.

The black stripes inside the rear trapezoids and tears, and the vocoder, were painted by hand with a Testors gloss black paint marker. In all my years of modeling, I had never used one of these things before! Sooooooo easy to use!!

The black outlines of each trapezoid were done with auto pinstriping tape. I just wanted to have those lines very smooth to define the shapes.

The replacement tube stripe decals I bought are terrific! Very vibrant shade of blue, but not too light like I've seen on some TK buckets. I cut a thin line of painters tape to use as a guideline, then cut each tube stripe out individually to ensure they conformed better to the curve of the helmet.

Once I was sure I wouldn't have to respray anything, I reattached the Hovi tips with CA glue and added some black mesh inside the frown. I got a 1-foot roll of the stuff for like $3.00. . . I have enough left over to do about 200 more helmets. I just tacked it down with a few drops of CA, just in case I ever have to remove it for anything. I also put some of the black mesh inside the Hovi tips because they're basically see-thru.

I re-tacked the brow trim, again just using a drop of CA on either temple, and put the neck trim back on, then the very last thing I did was replace the report covers I used to darken the lenses with some smoke gray limo tint. It's much better to see thru!

So that's it. My "cheap" MR bucket wound up costing a little more, but I'm glad I made the alterations. Would I do this again? Probably not! At some point I'll probably wind up getting another one of these CE helmets to keep pristine.
    Thanks for looking!

From
    UK

Very nice bruv... 8)

I'm waiting on my better half to agree to me buying one in a weeks time! But I think would keep my alterations to a minimum... too scared!

That Testors 1138 looks like a pretty good match too... and nice tip on the Testors paint marker!

So whats next...

Looks fantastic Eric, nicely done I've got one of these helmets myself, now if only I could remember where I put that hammer.........

that's a dramatic improvement in look for relatively little work. and in the end, probably a lot cheaper still than what you'd pay for one of the higher end fan produced kits.

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks guys, this was a nice diversion from all things Fett for a change.

In total, I'd say I spent about $40 or so on supplies. . . maybe a little less. So the total project including the helmet itself was well under $200. Less than half the retail cost of the LE helmet.

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

Good work! Saw a ton of these on the auction site, very tempted.

Hmm you think it would fit my bean?

From
    Newport News, VA

firstsonofsolo said: View Post
    Hmm you think it would fit my bean?
    Well. . . . . . . maybe if you just set it on top of your head.

kinda like Chewie from SW Lego 2?