Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mods to my MR "CE" Stormie helmet

From
    Newport News, VA

Mods to my MR "CE" Stormie helmet

Don't know why. . . there's no sun up in the sky. . . Stormie bucket!

Being the "tweaker" that I am, I made a couple of quick mods to my CE bucket. This will primarily be a display piece. I'm not currently a 501st member or anything, but I like collecting helmets.
    I did both of these mods for around $10 and they took me maybe an hour.

First, I got some of those translucent plastic report covers from Office Depot and cut a couple of them to cover the lenses. I just removed the 3 screws holding each lens, then traced its shape onto the tinted plastic report cover. I used an X-acto to cut holes for where the screws go, and reattached the lenses with the tinted covers in place.
    It's not ideal for someone who's going to wear the helmet, as the plastic isn't "optically clear," but it gives it a nice dark tint.

Next, I had read a link from Rebelscum about someone who had filled in the larger face gap with some silicone sealant. I bought a tube of DAP "Kwik Seal Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Caulk" in bright white. This is a water clean-up sealant.
    I just ran a small bead along the gap, then wiped up the excess with a damp cloth. It says you have about 30 minutes to work with it till it starts to skin over. I don't notice any color difference between the sealant and the ABS. It certainly helps to hide the depth of the seam, and it was really easy!

Now I'm waiting for some "bluer" tube stripe decals I bought the other day. Hopefully I'll have them the middle of next week. I'll have to see if I can just lay them over the existing tube stripes or if I'll have to use some acetone or something to remove the pre-painted ones. I'm hoping the new decals will just cover the old ones.

This is a really nice helmet overall. Much nicer than previous licensed helmets from DP or Rubies. Since U.S. retailers began to offer it, I couldn't resist it for the price! Another helmet for my collection.

From
    Plymouth Meeting, PA, 19462

Re: Mods to my MR "CE" Stormie helmet

Another great thread Eric! Let me know if the decals stripes you ordered line up and cover the painted stripes. If not, I can re-size them for you since I just purchased the correct TK "tube stripe" blue vinyl.

nice! that seam along the frown is the only thing i really disliked on that helmet. a little caulking and it's all better!

From
    uk

Loads of us in the UKG have these helemts and have done the same mods, I would use white spirit and remove the old decals first then put the new ones on, as the spacing is a lot different on the accurate decals.

The only other mod I would do is to add screws to the ears, then job done a nice, fairly cheap trooper lid

Nice job on the lenses by the way

I have both the LE and CE trooper lids and theres not a great deal of difference between them for the money

Paul

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Oh wow, how did you get your hands on one of these? Ive been interested in just getting one, but their UK exclusives, right?

From
    uk

I beleive there was a guy on the rpf called the Plasma infusion, that offers these, as although they are a UK exclusive a small quantity made it to the US

Chewcy said: View Post
    I beleive there was a guy on the rpf called the Plasma infusion, that offers these, as although they are a UK exclusive a small quantity made it to the US
    the ears confuse me... i don't see why they are so squared off.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

tk7602 said: View Post
    the ears confuse me... i don't see why they are so squared off.
    They look a lot flatter than they should be too.

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

superjedi said: View Post
    Don't know why. . . there's no sun up in the sky. . . Stormie bucket!
    Oh man!

This helmet is really nice! But... You are going to mod the ears? I say that because are really good cuted and looks 1 with the helmet (Made in), I know, aren't in the helmet so... You will touch them?

tubachris85x said: View Post
    Oh wow, how did you get your hands on one of these? Ive been interested in just getting one, but their UK exclusives, right?
    eBay GOD!

From
    Newport News, VA

Well as far as the ears go, I don't think I'm going to do anything to them. Ear mods would require major surgery, and I just don't want to put that much effort into it.
    Anything more than I've already done would probably require a complete repaint/re-decal job as well.

Like I said, I think it's more than worth the price it was going for. Compared to the LE helmet at $450 retail, this was a deal I couldn't pass up!
    They are available (as far as I know) from a couple of U.S. retailers. I got mine from Toynk.com. I think there's a site called Redford or Redfordfilms (?) that is selling them also. I paid $120 from Toynk.

Chewcy, thanks for the advice on the tube stripes! I'll just wait and see what the size and spacing of the new decals look like when I get my hands on them. Hopefully if I need to "erase" the stock decals I can find something that won't damage the finish on the ABS too much. (Really don't want to have to repaint this thing. . . can you tell? )

I just got one of these, and for $100, it is one heck of a bucket.I plan on getting another one, just to have a spare.I cannot believe these are so cheap.I wore mine around the house for quite a while.just need the rest of the suit now.lol

yeah, ears and seams aside, you can't even usually get an FX kit for $100!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

tk7602 said: View Post
    yeah, ears and seams aside, you can't even usually get an FX kit for $100!
    Yea, Im going to get one of these pearly whites eventually, I dont have a completed TK bucket..

From
    uk

Superjedi, if you use white spirit on the decals with a bit of rubbing they will just peel off, with no damage to the helmet at all.

As for the ears the shape is all wrong, but all ive done is drill holes for the fake screws to go in and then just paint the screw heads white and the ears look a million times better, with no need to repaint or anything, if you wanted you could even just cut the screw heads off and stick them on with no drilling, its abot a five minute mod but way worth doing.

There should be plenty of the lids to go round, as the UK supllier had these in the thousands

From
    Newport News, VA

Chewcy,
    Thanks! I'll have to look into getting some white spirit. Is that a common name for it?

From
    UK

It is for us Brits SJ...
    I'm not sure what it 'may' be called over the pond!

This mod thread is awesome... I was toying with getting one of these for my collection and with the mods I've seen you make... Hhhhmmmm 'cha-ching' I'm sold..
    Great work as always bro...

From
    Newport News, VA

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    It is for us Brits SJ...
    I'm not sure what it 'may' be called over the pond!

This mod thread is awesome... I was toying with getting one of these for my collection and with the mods I've seen you make... Hhhhmmmm 'cha-ching' I'm sold..
    Great work as always bro...
    Well, if it's for "you Brits" then I'm sure there's an extra "U" or two in there somewhere.
    Maybe I should look for whuite spuiruit.

EDIT: I just looked it up, and I think it's called mineral spirits here in the Colonies.

From
    UK

[quote=superjedi;328552]Well, if it's for "you Brits" then I'm sure there's an extra "U" or two in there somewhere.
    Maybe I should look for whuite spuiruit.

Suo Whaut Aure youu truying tou Sauy...

]

From
    Newport News, VA

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    [
    Suo Whaut Aure youu truying tou Sauy...

I'm sorry, I can't understand you.
    I don't have my English to English dictionary handy.

From
    Kamino (also known as Seattle)

I have one of these buckets too. Got it for like 95 bucks on Ebay. I plan on doing these mods to my helmet too. Thanks for the thread.

From
    Newport News, VA

Well, glad some others are getting a good deal on this helmet, too!

I tried using mineral spirits to scrub off the tube stripes, but only succeeded in smearing the blue paint around. I was wearing latex gloves and working out on my balcony, and the fumes were still killing me after only about 10 minutes or so. So I resorted to wet sanding with a very fine sanding sponge and that took them right off. I used some Novus to polish it back up to the original shine, and now I'm just waiting for the new stripes to arrive. I'm hoping that once they're in place, it'll look better than new!

From
    Newport News, VA

Oh, when oh when will I learn.
    I decided I just wasn't satisfied with the way the helmet was looking. The mold parting lines were bothering me too much. So rather than apply my new tube stripes and call it good, I decided to go for a more complete "overhaul."

Using an X-acto blade and an old dental tool, I carefully separated the neck and brow trim from the helmet. There's a little of the glue which remained, but once the trim is reattached, it will all be covered.

Then, using my Dremel from inside the helmet, I very carefully ground away at the base of the Hovi mic tips. I just left a small thin rim to reattach them once the repaint is complete. The mic tip parts are really well done. They have the 4 little open slots around the circumference, and the 4 little raised strips running perpendicular.

I used a couple of different fine and extra fine sandpapers and worked on all the mold parting lines all over the helmet. These ran around all the trapezoids on the dome, and from outside the corners of the frown, up along the "tears" and along the outside of each eye. Whew! What a chore. . . I should hopefully have some feeling back in my fingers tomorrow.
    In the two pics below, you might be able to see the holes I drilled in the ears to install screws. Just something else to make it look like a more "authentic" stunt helmet.

I rinsed the helmet really well with water to get all the sanding dust off. It's drying right now, and once I'm sure there's no water hiding in any crevices, I'll hit it with some new white paint! I'm going with Duplicolor DSGM 153, "Classic White." It was the whitest white I could find.

Once it's painted, I'll have to go back and repaint the trapezoids, tears, frown, and vocoder. But after painting a few Boba ESB helmets, I don't see this as being too terribly difficult.
    Any TKs out there know a good gray color to use? I've heard the originals were painted with Humbrol paints, but haven't seen any mention of a specific color name.
    More to come!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

superjedi said: View Post
    Oh, when oh when will I learn.
    I decided I just wasn't satisfied with the way the helmet was looking. The mold parting lines were bothering me too much. So rather than apply my new tube stripes and call it good, I decided to go for a more complete "overhaul."

Using an X-acto blade and an old dental tool, I carefully separated the neck and brow trim from the helmet. There's a little of the glue which remained, but once the trim is reattached, it will all be covered.

Then, using my Dremel from inside the helmet, I very carefully ground away at the base of the Hovi mic tips. I just left a small thin rim to reattach them once the repaint is complete. The mic tip parts are really well done. They have the 4 little open slots around the circumference, and the 4 little raised strips running perpendicular.

I used a couple of different fine and extra fine sandpapers and worked on all the mold parting lines all over the helmet. These ran around all the trapezoids on the dome, and from outside the corners of the frown, up along the "tears" and along the outside of each eye. Whew! What a chore. . . I should hopefully have some feeling back in my fingers tomorrow.
    In the two pics below, you might be able to see the holes I drilled in the ears to install screws. Just something else to make it look like a more "authentic" stunt helmet.

I rinsed the helmet really well with water to get all the sanding dust off. It's drying right now, and once I'm sure there's no water hiding in any crevices, I'll hit it with some new white paint! I'm going with Duplicolor DSGM 153, "Classic White." It was the whitest white I could find.

Once it's painted, I'll have to go back and repaint the trapezoids, tears, frown, and vocoder. But after painting a few Boba ESB helmets, I don't see this as being too terribly difficult.
    Any TKs out there know a good gray color to use? I've heard the originals were painted with Humbrol paints, but haven't seen any mention of a specific color name.
    More to come!
    LOL Why am I not surprised that you decided to redo the whole helmet?

Anyways, I dont think its a perfect match, but for the gray, the "painter's touch Dark grey" Ive been using seems like a similar color match, but pictures are decieving when it comes to colors..

Humbrol 5 Dark Admiral Grey?

Testors grey #1138?

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks Tuba and Count D!
    I was actually just doing some searching and I saw a couple of people on some Stormie boards recommending Humbrol #5. That's probably what I'll go with.

The helmet is now painted white. I put on about 4 "medium" coats of the Duplicolor and now I'm going to follow the instructions on the can and let it dry for 48 hours. Then if it needs it, I'll use some mild rubbing compound (3M #3900) to make sure the surface is nice and smooth. Once I'm sure I won't have to respray anything, I'll pick up some of the Humbrol gray and some gloss black and repaint the details.