Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 31, 2014, 11:00 PM - Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #1

The other week I was looking at my MRCE helmet and I was overcome with the urge to strip it down and fix all the things that bugged me about it. My wife bought this for me when they first came out, and the plan was always to turn it into a stunt helmet, but I just never got around to starting it. I think it was less than $100 at the time, and that's really the only reason I wanted it. I'm not a TK guy and this is the only Stormtrooper bucket I've ever owned. I think everyone pretty much knows the reputation these have, lol.

First, the before pictures.

The plan is to strip everything down, fill all the seams, remove all the weird random lines, enlarge the frown, thin down the ears, raise the brow, spruce up the mic tips, and paint and weather the whole thing. I will be going for the beat to hell look of the existing stunt helmets.
    Mar 31, 2014, 11:10 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #2

So here we are all stripped down. All the seams have been filled, including the ones on the ear caps. The ears have been thinned and the correct screws added. The brow has been raised, the frown has been enlarged, and I added the eye bump with some epoxy putty. I was able to get the trim off mostly intact, so I will be reusing it. This is another budget project all the way!

Mar 31, 2014, 11:12 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #3

I love the MRCE lids. They're symmetrical, and I'd like to think a galactic empire nearly limitless resources would be able to get some helmets that aren't all wonky and uneven.

That being said, I troop in a screen accurate helmet.
    Apr 1, 2014, 7:52 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #4

Well said MisterFubar. Of course I would love to have a wonky screen accurate kit, but that's not an option for me now. The MRCE is actually a pretty well constructed helmet and I'm not afraid to let my 3 year old run around the house with it on.
    Apr 1, 2014, 10:06 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #5

Next I primed and gave it a coat of a khaki spray paint I had laying around. Then I masked off damage with liquid mask.

The whole helmet got a sloppy coat of white primer brushed on. I used a chip brush to give it lots of brush marks and texture.

Next was a couple coats of Krylon high gloss white. The liquid mask was removed and all the gray was hand painted. The vocorder and black detailing will be next.

I'm really liking how this is turning out.
    Apr 6, 2014, 4:10 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #6

Ok, a little more progress. All of the gray and black has been handpainted. Rather than tempt fate by trying to paint the tubestipes, I ordered the "hand painted look" decals from Trooperbay. VERY good move on my part. They went on in minutes without incident and look fantastic. Just those alone are a huge improvement over the stock MRCE.

Next I will be painting and weathering the mic tips, giving the whole helmet a little more weathering, and then finishing up with trim and chin straps.
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Apr 6, 2014, 7:57 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #7

Awesome work, Matt!
    Apr 7, 2014, 5:49 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #8

Outstanding. I love what you did with the eyes and frown, really made a big difference. Well done!
    Apr 7, 2014, 7:34 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #9

Excellent mods so far Matt looks great!
    Apr 7, 2014, 12:43 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #10

Er...... this is ruddy awesome!
  11. Apr 7, 2014, 6:31 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #11

Seeing this thread is inspiring me to do something about the EFX lid I have gathering dust...
  12. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 7, 2014, 7:47 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #12

I wanna get another TK lid...er no where to put it though
    Looks bad, which is great....lol
    Apr 8, 2014, 9:02 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #13

When I had a trooper, I gouged the rear vents out, and the mouth grill... I installed black metal mesh for an actual ventilation system (With the help of interior positive pressure from two 3" computer fans in the rear vents)
    Apr 9, 2014, 7:09 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #14

Thanks guys. Hoping to finish this up real soon and take some more pics.
  15. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 10, 2014, 6:41 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #15

making me think about getting another TK helmet...last one i did was an MTK helmet actually from trooperbay
    Apr 15, 2014, 8:36 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #16

Ok, I'm calling this finished. This was a lot of fun and now I'm proud to have it on display. It's got a lot more character now, wouldn't you say?

Apr 16, 2014, 7:42 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #17

A much more aggressive look to it as well as authentic, and a more accurate, in other words AAA!
    Apr 16, 2014, 7:20 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #18

Quote thebeans said: View Post
    A much more aggressive look to it as well as authentic, and a more accurate, in other words AAA!
    Thanks brother.
    Apr 16, 2014, 8:30 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #19

Really nice job on this, The beat up look is awesome!
    Apr 16, 2014, 10:30 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #20

It's like night and day man, looks like a completely different helmet! Changing that frown really made a world of difference. Great work again on this!
  21. Apr 16, 2014, 11:29 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #21

Looks 4720 times better the only thing i may have done in addition is swap the ears out all together.......but you made em look great reguardless! excellent job!
    Apr 18, 2014, 6:49 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #22

Quote MrDickJones said: View Post
    Really nice job on this, The beat up look is awesome!
    Thanks a lot.

Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    It's like night and day man, looks like a completely different helmet! Changing that frown really made a world of difference. Great work again on this!
    Thanks. I'm really happy with how it came out. I did what I could with the frown and I think it came out pretty cool.

Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    Looks 4720 times better the only thing i may have done in addition is swap the ears out all together.......but you made em look great reguardless! excellent job!
    Yeah, I would have replaced the ears but I had to work with what I have. I actually cut off about half the thickness, lol. They were really bad! Thanks man.
    Apr 18, 2014, 6:55 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #23

Oh yeah, before and after. You guys can play spot the difference, lol.

Apr 18, 2014, 12:56 PM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #24

Sooooooo much better! What, you didn't go with 'Mr. No Stripes'??? :P
    Outstanding.
    Apr 21, 2014, 8:33 AM - Re: Modding my MRCE Stormtrooper Bucket - Complete Overhaul #25

Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    Sooooooo much better! What, you didn't go with 'Mr. No Stripes'??? :P
    Outstanding.
    Haha, what's up with that guy anyway? They just forgot to put them on? Figured nobody would notice? lol