Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Let's see those Airborne Commander / Beehives

Re: Let's see those Airborne Commander / Beehives

I think you really need to see one in person, the design definatly grows on you. There is something unusual about it but, I actually think these things are almost more "realistic" than most helmets from SW. I think if you painted one of these olive drab, you could almost imagine some heavy gunner in an east block state wearing this.

From
    Middlesbrough UK

lol I admit it
    not a desgin that immediately grabs yer, but all these grow on yer, esp.ly Mikes sculpt. Although it might have something to do with the how he captured the complex curves for the lid.

I seem to be really gettin into the less popular lids like the Airborne beehive and Kashyyyk trooper bulldog look

From
    Las Vegas, NV

nzjedi said: View Post
    I think you really need to see one in person, the design definatly grows on you. There is something unusual about it but, I actually think these things are almost more "realistic" than most helmets from SW. I think if you painted one of these olive drab, you could almost imagine some heavy gunner in an east block state wearing this.
    I guess I could imagine it for someone driving a heavy vehicle such as a tank I might could see it.

From
    Massachusetts

Yeah, I'm with you and Brian, Art. I just never got into this helmet design.

All of you have done great work on your personal pieces for sure! But, I just can't get into this one.

I'm probably going to get hung for saying it on this board but, I feel the same about mando helmets, of all the helmets from star wars, I just cant get into them.. or vader buckets now that I think of it. Taste is a funny thing. The thing with beehives is, you see them and you go " my god.... its... its.... its..... bad arse!" They just look really heavy, and by heavy I mean plenty tough, like a Jamaican gangster. I'm thinking about stripping mine back, and doing a plain white grunt beehive no fancy add ons like the skirt or ammo belt things, I know they don't exist in the films but still, could look quite cool.

From
    Indiana

I am going to try and see if this comes out right not, so here goes. I do not like the way the helmet looks from the movie. PGHFett has done a great job of recreating the helmet. Make sense?

Then the next question you are going to ask, why are you doing this helmet them?? Well, a group of use are doing some clones and we need somebody with this helmet. So, I was able to get one and the rest is history.

From
    Porterville, California

nzjedi said: View Post
    I'm probably going to get hung for saying it on this board but, I feel the same about mando helmets...
    Get a rope!

I like the Beehive helmet more when I see them with the whole suit, and then I think that's bad looking! But that's probably not saying much because I'm also the guy doing the suit for the "other ugly helmet", the ugly AT-RT!

Regardless, those Beehive helmets above look amazing and intimidating at the same time!

The only helmet design I really love from star wars is the Royal Guard. They are just so sleak and menacing, to me the design seems quite timeless too, you cant look at it and say "that's a typical 70's/80's/90's etc sci-fi design" All star wars helmets are quite weird, I don't know why but the designers at ILM pretty much ignore even the most basic ergonomic principals for most imperial helmets. It could be a clever design statement about the anti-humanist nature of fascist/theocratic states (star wars being a secular humanist film after all), or the art directors just picked designs they liked
    Last edited by nzjedi; Apr 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM.

From
    orion's belt

personally, i think that airborne helmets look fast and streamlined... and aren't they supposed to be high altitude jumpers or something? i imagine a squadron of beehives dropping out of the utapau sky and landing on the battle field to back up cody and his grunts.

I liked it at one time......

Until I had to sculpt it - lol -

it was a challange to sculpt having very limited images to sculpt from, apparently I like projects that are difficult.

I've always liked the odd characters that had limited screen time, the stuff in the background. Fett was like one of these characters for me when I was a kid, perhaps thats the reason I'm attracted to the Clone scout and Parjai troopers ?

I agree, the helmet looks better as part of a complete costume.

From
    Virginia Beach,VA

when I saw the Airborne in SW Insider, I just got that warm fuzzy feeling inside. When I came across the 501st and learned the armor/helmet was actually being produced by people, well, it was a done deal!

These are so detailed! Congrats!

a work in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00581-jpg  

From
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

You mean like this? For you Mike!
    Thanks for a great addition to my Collection. It is one on my favorites.

pghfett said: View Post
    I liked it at one time......

Until I had to sculpt it - lol -

it was a challange to sculpt having very limited images to sculpt from, apparently I like projects that are difficult.

I've always liked the odd characters that had limited screen time, the stuff in the background. Fett was like one of these characters for me when I was a kid, perhaps thats the reason I'm attracted to the Clone scout and Parjai troopers ?

I agree, the helmet looks better as part of a complete costume.

From
    Knoxville Tenn.

I've never been a fan of this helmet design, but here's one I painted for a friend last year. Nothing too grand, just a beater of a paint job.

Jon,
    I knew it would look good... I just had no idea HOW good. That's amazing. I really considering taking my pghf beehive back to plain white, and doing a straight white beehive when my armour arrives. Thanks for posting the pics man, its stunning.

From
    Bossier City, LA

MORGUE said: View Post
    You mean like this? For you Mike!
    Thanks for a great addition to my Collection. It is one on my favorites.

You stole my helmet design!!! I am going for something very simiar!!

So dont get to offended when i post it up in a couple of months.

some on who can tell me wher to buy parts for Commander Beehive Suit?
    it cut be nice

I can't remember the name of the place but, it's right beside the Commander Cody helmet house.

hehe Thanks, but wher is that? heh

You can get the armour from a few different sources. Look on clonetroopers.net, that particular helmet is quite rare, and the add on parts for the costume are are all extra and handmade. To do what Morgue has done, you'd be lucky to come in under 10,000 DKK once you factor in shipping, extras like under suit, boots, paint, various glues and filler products to get the suit all seamless strapped and ready for display or wear.
    Last edited by nzjedi; Jun 24, 2009 at 1:11 AM.

From
    Illinois

i just started mine, please give some constructive critisim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0006-jpg   000_00062-jpg   000_0007-jpg  

000_0008-jpg  
    Last edited by archangel777; Jun 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM.

I think it would be cool to see a battlefront version of the beehive, to my eye it seems to be smaller and have sharper lines than the film version. I think if you have pepakura designer, the model could benifit from some edge smoothing, you'll find if you try to sculpt on that armature you'll go through miles of material. Smoother curves require less material to finish, and give you more control over the final shape.

wow i love this suit would like start one of my own im guessing the helmet is best to start with first. can some one plz im me to were i would find one ty

SaxeCoburg said: View Post
    I've never been a fan of this helmet design, but here's one I painted for a friend last year. Nothing too grand, just a beater of a paint job.

i love this paint job, probably one of my favorites, and i love how you removed the black squiggles - they always looked like a toddler got loose with a sharpie