Okay folks, here's a project I've been working on for the past few months.
I tried an Imperial Guard last year with very bad results. I'm talking worse than a Rubies Boba. But, I decided to give it another go since I had some success with my custom Mandolorian helmet. (To see the full IGV2 progress thread, click here.)
Here are a few selected pictures from the build process.
To start, I'm modeling it after the Luke IG Disguise figure.
I started bu using the WOF interior form and covered it with a layer of flat cardboard.
I added spacers and another strip of cardboard for the lower outer shell.
Added the slope to the back.
Formed the nose.
The dome was tricky. The standard WOF pattern works, but the center pieces had to be overlapped to make the dome shorter.
I coated it with resin to stiffen it up.
The regular bondo layer.
After sanding that, I added a Bondo-Glass layer.
I sanded again and added another resin layer.
As with all scratch-builds, Bondo or Bondo-glass doesn't smooth out completely. Even with the resin outer coat, there was still a ot of sanding to do, which left small pot-marks. So I turned to Glazing Putty.
Then after an under coat of black paint, here is a sneak peek at what the final color will be.
I have to let my Dremel rest for a while. I've used the snot out of it lately trying to work inside the ears and snout. I've been sanding and filling with more putty and the results are pretty good so far. I'm also going to be fashioning an aerator insert for the snout (perfect place for a speaker or fan) and hopefully start casting this thing within the next few months.
I'll post updates later after the smoke from my poor dremel clears out.