Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Sep 23, 2010, 5:59 AM - Have an amazing Star Wars Costume? Then I am looking for you!! #1

Hey there boys and girls!!!
    I am in need of a few people with their star wars costumes to take some photos for a photo project I am working on! I am working on a project with airsoft as my topic for a college assignment and I thought of a great idea to infuse it with Star Wars!

What you will be doing:
    If you meet the simple requirements. I will be wanting to take like 4-5 photos of you and your prop holding some airsoft guns. Simple right? You get to wear your own costume and such and to save you time I will be coming to you!

Requirements:
    Live in OC, California
    Have one of the following costumes: Tusken Raider, Jango Fett, Boba, Fett, hoth trooper, rebel trooper (on Endor)

Just asking for some help for a fellow Star Wars fan! Thank you!!
    Sep 23, 2010, 2:02 PM - Re: Have an amazing Star Wars Costume? Then I am looking for you!! #2

You will need to get written permission from LFL for any of that. Lucas tends to hold on pretty tight to his intellectual property.
    Sep 28, 2010, 12:39 AM - Re: Have an amazing Star Wars Costume? Then I am looking for you!! #3

actually if its for a college assignment I think your ok, as long as your going to try to make money off of it or use it as an advertisement. But having MANY friends who have gone to school for makeup and effects, they often do star wars characters for school so your good. Like I said just don't try to make money off it and you should be ok.
    Sep 28, 2010, 7:28 PM - Re: Have an amazing Star Wars Costume? Then I am looking for you!! #4

Be careful. Using the image of an LFL character using another company's product is on the edge. Even if it is only for school. I'm just saying, I would be cautious. LFL is really quick about responding.
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Sep 28, 2010, 7:51 PM - #5

That falls under the "Fair Use" law. The same law that lets teachers copy pages from a book and pass them out, as long as it doesn't "render the original obsolete" it's legal. Don't sell it or use it for anything other than school purposes, and you're golden.
    In any case I don't see how LFL would even find out about it unless you try to use it unlawfully and make some money.
    Sep 28, 2010, 9:07 PM - Re: Have an amazing Star Wars Costume? Then I am looking for you!! #6

Okay, I don't really get it. He said he was working on a project with Airsoft. Airsoft isn't a charitable organization, so regardless of it being for school or not, I would think there's a problem.

As far as the "Fair Use" statute, that only applies to educational or non-profit purposes, and even then it can be challenged. For example, a non-profit charity can't use the image of a Stormtrooper in its marketing material or as it's representative. Also, the judiciary usually rules on fair use material on the benefit of the material as it relates to education. Star Wars would not pass muster on that.
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Sep 28, 2010, 9:12 PM - #7

Quote TD-4608 said:
    Okay, I don't really get it. He said he was working on a project with Airsoft. Airsoft isn't a charitable organization, so regardless of it being for school or not, I would think there's a problem.

As far as the "Fair Use" statute, that only applies to educational or non-profit purposes, and even then it can be challenged. For example, a non-profit charity can't use the image of a Stormtrooper in its marketing material or as it's representative. Also, the judiciary usually rules on fair use material on the benefit of the material as it relates to education. Star Wars would not pass muster on that.
    Yeah you're right. I miss read. Oops.