Subscribe
    Jun 5, 2014, 8:05 AM - Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #1

Hey all, some of you might recall my build reports of the McQuarrie concept Boba Fett and Vader helmets. This time I知 going to build another McQuarrie concept helmet. I was so intrigued by the samurai influences McQuarrie put in his early concepts I had to explore it even further and focus on his very first sketches.
    I don稚 want to put in too much time, so I知 not going to build it 1:1 but in scale. The sketches are very rough on the details so a mockup in scale style seems fitting.

I値l start with the helmet and drawn this side view, getting that samurai shaped design. I figured it would be best to start with a paper cone to drawn on and cut into the best shape, later I can use this as an outline mold.

Jun 5, 2014, 11:48 AM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #2

cardboard mockup in progress

Jun 5, 2014, 2:33 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #3

No way dude, awesome! I'll be watching while clutching my large container of popcorn
    Jun 5, 2014, 10:41 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #4

This looks like its going to be awesome. Wish I had the chops to be able to look at something and then just "build" it.
    Jun 6, 2014, 12:15 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #5

I used the cardboard model as a reference and I have built the helmet parts out of styrene. I roughly closed the dome with enough space to fill it in with polyester putty. When the dome is finished I will install the rim of the helmet.

Jun 8, 2014, 2:44 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #6

The doom has been filled with putty and sanded.

Jun 9, 2014, 2:09 AM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #7

I love the fact that you're making this in a smaller scale. Love your approach to tackling the dome too, very effective!
    Jun 9, 2014, 4:16 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #8

The scale is also practical, 1:1 this helmet would have been huge. For the dome I basically used the same technique as my earlier Vader helmet, it worked well then and now.

Today I attached the rim to the dome and added the details as seen in the sketch. Next I will start sculpting the face. It’s going to need a lot of improvising. Only thing visible are the nose and the grill, the rest is a dark blur. I don’t want to mimic the look of the famous McQuarrie Vader from my previous project. This early sketch has a unique design, not really belonging in the line of the other concepts. (and yet it does…)

9. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Jun 10, 2014, 6:27 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #9

This is so cool! Keep it up!
  10. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Jun 11, 2014, 5:06 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #10

your skills and builds are just awesome always a treat reading your posts
  11. Member Since
    May 2014
    Jun 14, 2014, 1:55 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #11

Sweet build. Can't wait to see more.
  12. 4 Weeks Ago - Sep 20, 2014, 5:54 PM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #12

That's awesome. Can't wait to see how you achieve the finished product
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2013
    2 Days Ago - Oct 22, 2014, 1:35 AM - Re: Earliest Darth Vader concept helmet scratch build (McQuarrie) #13

niice! i'm so excited for the next update!
    quick question: where can I buy styrene in large portions? i've been buying styrene from Evergreen or whatever they're called on amazon, but they come in really small portions and cost an arm and a leg.
    thanks!
    -Ghost