Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 24, 2007, 12:20 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #201

Quote Nachturnus said: View Post
    Well, just as a side note, you could actually make quite a bit of money selling these pieces to 501st guys looking to make a dark trooper. It looks like your pretty much just making all of your own vacu-molds, so you could just do tons of castings.
    I am aware that I can make copies for others, but I want to make it clear that my intentions for making this armor is NOT for money or profit of any kind. I am merely creating another route for anyone with my general size.
    Here's my new motto...

"When your over 6'5 tall, why in the world would you want to be a Vader or wear a hot and uncomfortable Wookie costume, when you could be a perfectly good DarkTrooper?"

-tubachris
    Mar 24, 2007, 9:25 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #202

You are making an outstanding job
    Mar 24, 2007, 1:16 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #203

Looking good man! Keep it up.
    Mar 25, 2007, 4:03 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #204

Thanks guys

I will be starting on the shoulder armor this week. I think this piece may be a bit difficult because the outer lip is more rounded off and already know is gonna be a pain in the butt. Im also working on getting an oven or several heating elements from waffle irons so that I can finish the vacu-former and not have to worry about it, and because I want to start practicing the casting and so I can cast the helmet piece and finish the helmet. Also, I was wondering if anyone could measure the areators on their FX, to see how far they stick out from the helmet. I have bought areators, but I need to know how far they should be poking outwards from the faceplate.

-tubachris
    Mar 25, 2007, 6:26 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #205

I am currently trying to figure out something in the design of the shoulder armor. I cannot tell if on the insode piece, if it rounds off to a point, like the top of a stereotypical rain drop, or just cuts off. Below are 2 designs of what I mean. Please LMK what you guys think. Im leaning more towards the cut off look, but I prefer to be more accurate. Thanks!

-tubachris
    Mar 26, 2007, 3:44 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #206

Hey man here are some pics I found. I don't know if they'll help or not. I'm not sure which version you're doing so there are a couple of different ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dktrp1.JPG 
Views:	2417 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	16491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dktrp12.jpg 
Views:	2284 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	16492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dktrp14.jpg 
Views:	2264 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	16493  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dktrp15.JPG 
Views:	2325 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	16494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dktrp5.jpg 
Views:	2290 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	16495  
    Mar 26, 2007, 7:12 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #207

Thanks Tbone, those are alot more ref pics that I could have found for the dark forces darktrooper. Where did you find them though? I am actually doing the battlefront darktrooper, but I am planning on doing a dark forces darktrooper sometime after. Thanks!

-tubachris
    Mar 26, 2007, 1:48 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #208

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    Where did you find them though?
    I did an image search on Yahoo. There weren't a lot of clear ones but there were a few. The second and third pics were from the wookiepedia.
    Mar 26, 2007, 3:46 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #209

Oh okay, well I am going to still archive those pics for future reference. Thanks again t-bone.

Upon more review, the bottome one appears more accurate. I know this was really only a minor issue, but I'd prefer accuracy over looking like a dummy for asking questions like this.

Also, just want to mention, my collection of tools increased yesterday, I was finnally able to get a smaler sander, the one that looks like a iron. I needed this for more presicion sanding, like the tight and very hard to reach places, like where the gaunt boxes meet the main guant body, I have a rough area of durham's that Ive been eager to get rid of. I can now finnalize sanding once and for all. My bulky belt sander cannot do this.

-tubachris
    Mar 27, 2007, 8:56 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #210

I have a dilema, waffle irons are hard to find as far as thrift stores are concerned. What would I need waffle irons for you ask? I need to use the heating elements for the oven in order to heat the plastic. I checked ebay, but they for some reason have a thing for vintage waffle irons, and I need something more modern. The cheapest ones brand new are like $15 each, and I need four of them. But I may have to re-design an oven. I can build one with nichrome wire, but the supplies needed are quite expensive. Any suggestions? This will make or break the project, at least for a while.

-tubachris
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Mar 28, 2007, 12:10 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #211

Keep it up Chris, its looking great, and Good luck finding those waffle irons!
    Mar 28, 2007, 12:15 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #212

Have you thought about the heating elements out of electric skillets? That might be a path you could take.
    Mar 28, 2007, 12:40 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #213

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    Have you thought about the heating elements out of electric skillets? That might be a path you could take.
    Would the skillets have the same kind of heating elment like a waffle iron?

-tubachris
    Mar 28, 2007, 5:03 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #214

Would the skillets have the same kind of heating elment like a waffle iron?

-tubachris
    That I don't know. I'm really not even sure what the element on a waffle iron looks like. You might even be able to find a heating element out of an oven or range top. Do a search on ebay for heating elements I saw some on there starting around $1.00, maybe one of those could work.
    Mar 28, 2007, 5:23 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #215

Not sure if you know about this site already, but http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html has a lot of great tips on how to go about this under their "vaccuforming basics" thread. They seem to use a combination of a heat gun and an oven.
    Mar 29, 2007, 1:35 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #216

Quote Feldon_Nassus said: View Post
    Not sure if you know about this site already, but http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html has a lot of great tips on how to go about this under their "vaccuforming basics" thread. They seem to use a combination of a heat gun and an oven.
    Yes, that site is what helped motivate me to go through with the project, as far as building the vacu-former. I went to walmart yesterday and was looking at what they had. I was only able to look at the displayed pieces, so I couldnt do a "thorough" inspection, but a few had removable grilling surfaces. The only issue, was that beneath the surface, was just a metal plate engraved "do not touch, hot surface." The thing is, I dont know if this is the actual heating element, or if there is a much more complex heating element under the plate. I couldnt find out unless I bought it, and started dissassembling it. Another question, is if this is the actual heating element, how could the plate release heat effective enough without needing to actually touch the surface. So I dont know yet.

Also, what I saw, was that they had single stove burners, like on top of an oven, but just one by itself. It would work out great if these would work, get 4 of those and switch them on, and there's my oven. The question is really how hot will it really get? Thanks for the help guys!

-tubachris
    Mar 29, 2007, 2:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #217

The question is really how hot will it really get?

-tubachris
    If you did decide to go with the range top burners, you could probably set them up on a switch just like on the stove and make the temp adjustable. Start off slow and then increase the temp until you get it where you need it.
  18. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Mar 29, 2007, 2:42 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #218

Put the plastic in the microwave and quickly drop it on the mold
    Mar 29, 2007, 2:51 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #219

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Put the plastic in the microwave and quickly drop it on the mold
    Wow, I'll be done in no time!

WAIT A SECOND! I just remembered seeing a picture of someone's oven ahwile back, he had used two stove top burners that were already attached, and it worked! I think we have ourselves an oven guys

-tubachris
    Mar 30, 2007, 4:12 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #220

It is coming along great! I cannot wait to see the finished product

Apr 2, 2007, 2:07 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #221

Hey everyone, I think I need some more ref pictures of the shoulder armor. Its just from certai angles, it looks more bulbus than in other angles, so its a pain to design accuratly. I was wondering if I could possibly get some more screen shots for reference.

Also, the oven is gettin closer to being built. Im thinking of getting a large cooler (the kinds with metal and insulation) to hold the burners and then line it with aluminum like the kind you cook turkey's in. Thats it for now.
    Thanks guys!

-tubachris
    Apr 3, 2007, 1:06 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #222

I have started to design the shouldr armor today, and the hardest part of this, is getting the size of it right in comparison to my size. Some things that have to be considered is the proper curvature on the top and bottom (from the front) and the length. In the reference I have, it sticks out a few inches from the end of the actual shoulder. Here is a picture of the design compared to me. I apologize, no one around to take the pic for me, but I had to improvise. Also, its hard to see te full size, because its laying slightly at an angle on my shoulder, its actually larger than it looks...I just need some feedback and recommendations. Thanks

-tubachris
    Apr 3, 2007, 11:16 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #223

Okay, well after much procrastination, I started the mold. I already have the first 8 layers, but it used a whole sheet of MDF (i only get to work with one sheet at a time) so I'll need to get another this week. I did do some more "research" (really just staring at the shoulder of the DT while playing the game) and did realize that it is not cut off as I one thought. It comes to a rounded point. The layer posted in the pic is what I believe the accurate shape (if looking from the top). All im going to say, this is going to be a large mold. The longest length is 1 ft, and after its done is going to be 7 1/2" tall. Very big amor piece.

-tubachris
    Apr 3, 2007, 11:25 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #224

The longest length is 1 ft, and after its done is going to be 7 1/2" tall. Very big amor piece.

-tubachris
    That's gonna be huge! Will it fit in the vacuformer you're building?
    Apr 3, 2007, 11:31 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #225

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    That's gonna be huge! Will it fit in the vacuformer you're building?
    Yea, the surface can fit 4 of the helmet molds if I had sculpted 3 more of them.

-tubachris