Subscribe
  1. Grizzly's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112
    Feb 16, 2007, 7:41 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #126

    this project is turnin out great keep up the good work
  2. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    855
    Feb 16, 2007, 4:13 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #127

    Lookin' good. If you havent found thin strips of wood for the hands yet, try a hobby shop or craft store. I know the Michael's here has a lot of different thicknesses of wood for use in building model airplanes and pinewood slots.

    Troy
  3. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 17, 2007, 1:05 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #128

    Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    Lookin' good. If you havent found thin strips of wood for the hands yet, try a hobby shop or craft store. I know the Michael's here has a lot of different thicknesses of wood for use in building model airplanes and pinewood slots.

    Troy

    Thanks, I was actually thinking about using those thin wood strips for the details, they appear to be thick enough for the height of the details. Thanks!

    -tubachris
  4. Darasuum_Verd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    572
    Feb 17, 2007, 5:43 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #129

    lookin' good
  5. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 18, 2007, 10:52 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #130

    In my effort to make this project as accurate as possible to the game's, I have realized an inaccuracy with the helmet mod buck. Its not major, but is a significant error. Where I once beleived the edge came to a "point," the outside edge actually resembles more of a duck bill, more rounded out. It wont be an issue to fix, but I'd like to let you guys know.

    -tubachris
  6. Darth Valcar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    439
    Feb 18, 2007, 1:08 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #131

    I have found the harder you work to be more accurate, the more set backs you face. But if your as close as you can, then that also works very fine.. I have had the same problem on another outfit project that im working on apart from my New look mando outfit.... Do what you can, it will turn out great anyway.......
  7. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 19, 2007, 9:54 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #132

    Quote Darth Valcar said: View Post
    I have found the harder you work to be more accurate, the more set backs you face. But if your as close as you can, then that also works very fine.. I have had the same problem on another outfit project that im working on apart from my New look mando outfit.... Do what you can, it will turn out great anyway.......
    The thing I dont want to happen is to end up haviing a suit that "kinda" looks like the darktrooper and thats not that great looking. I want it to be as accurate enough so that the average joe who has played battlefront a few times can say "hey, I know what that is!" Granted, everything cannot be perfect, but its a good goal to aim for

    -tubachris
  8. Untried Hunter's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    240
    Feb 19, 2007, 10:28 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #133

    Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    The thing I dont want to happen is to end up haviing a suit that "kinda" looks like the darktrooper and thats not that great looking. I want it to be as accurate enough so that the average joe who has played battlefront a few times can say "hey, I know what that is!" Granted, everything cannot be perfect, but its a good goal to aim for

    -tubachris
    As long as you have the color,the point on the helmet,and the jet pack,the average person wont remember enough details from the game to say"hey,thats not accurate!"

  9. Kantis Nolef's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    325
    Feb 19, 2007, 10:31 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #134

    Quote Untried Hunter said: View Post
    As long as you have the color,the point on the helmet,and the jet pack,the average person wont remember enough details from the game to say"hey,thats not accurate!"
    Now us on the other hand....

    Just kidding, everything I've seen so far looks amazing.
  10. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 19, 2007, 10:32 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #135

    Quote Untried Hunter said: View Post
    As long as you have the color,the point on the helmet,and the jet pack,the average person wont remember enough details from the game to say"hey,thats not accurate!"

    *sigh* the sad thing is that your probly right. All of us here will know what it is, but in reality, all everyone really sees of the dartrooper is the back of it and thats it. Maybe the front for like a split second, or the occassional pass by of a CGbot during the game play.


    -tubachris
  11. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 20, 2007, 9:29 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #136

    I managed to get up early enough even though I stayed home today, and got somewhere with the bottom half of the guant. I just to bondo the sides to get them even. My mom finnally got fed up of me turning the whole house into the "Ark Hammer," and told me to go to home depot and to not come back in the house until I had a storage container built and filled with all my tools...

    -tubachris
  12. Kantis Nolef's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    325
    Feb 21, 2007, 10:19 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #137

    I was checking out the 501st site yesterday and I got to thinking, how would they classify your Dark Trooper? Would they lump it in with the specialty armor and call it TX or would they start a new one, maybe DT?
  13. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 21, 2007, 10:33 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #138

    Quote Kantis Nolef said: View Post
    I was checking out the 501st site yesterday and I got to thinking, how would they classify your Dark Trooper? Would they lump it in with the specialty armor and call it TX or would they start a new one, maybe DT?

    I actually had a discussion with the cloneemperor about this, him being the head membership officer of the legion. Bascially, he says that he may not even know if the battlefront 2 DT would be accepted or not. He says the board would have to decide on it. The biggest issue is what would the board consider to be "canon." Anyone can say that the dark forces is more canon because its the orgininal, yet, there are 3 phases from that game, and only one version from battlefront 2. The thing is, can the battlefront 2 DT be considered a phase 2 DT from dark forces? Upon looking at the phase 3 DT figure from hasbro, there are ALOT of similarities that the BF2 DT has to the phase 3 DT of dark forces, including the Jet Pack, and the protruding helmet. But then comes the liscensing requitement, they are both liscensed by LFL, therefore, both can be considered into the 501st.

    So there is alot of cloudy areas. IMO, of what may happen is either:

    1) I dont get accepted, and told that it must be a dark forces version, because it is the original, and they have a liscensed figure of it.

    2) They decide to accept both, the dark forces and the BF2 DT's, and classify them as special ops.

    3) creates arguments and pisses people off

    So I dont know what will happen or if it will be accepted or not. I will say though that this matter will not sway me away from building this suit.

    -tubachris
  14. CombatBaby's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,333
    Feb 21, 2007, 12:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #139

    Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    I actually had a discussion with the cloneemperor about this, him being the head membership officer of the legion. Bascially, he says that he may not even know if the battlefront 2 DT would be accepted or not. He says the board would have to decide on it. The biggest issue is what would the board consider to be "canon." Anyone can say that the dark forces is more canon because its the orgininal, yet, there are 3 phases from that game, and only one version from battlefront 2. The thing is, can the battlefront 2 DT be considered a phase 2 DT from dark forces? Upon looking at the phase 3 DT figure from hasbro, there are ALOT of similarities that the BF2 DT has to the phase 3 DT of dark forces, including the Jet Pack, and the protruding helmet. But then comes the liscensing requitement, they are both liscensed by LFL, therefore, both can be considered into the 501st.

    So there is alot of cloudy areas. IMO, of what may happen is either:

    1) I dont get accepted, and told that it must be a dark forces version, because it is the original, and they have a liscensed figure of it.

    2) They decide to accept both, the dark forces and the BF2 DT's, and classify them as special ops.

    3) creates arguments and pisses people off

    So I dont know what will happen or if it will be accepted or not. I will say though that this matter will not sway me away from building this suit.

    -tubachris
    once we make their stormtroopers obsolete they'll have to accept us

    i mean...we can take out a whole rebel base in several minutes
  15. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 21, 2007, 3:57 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #140

    Quote CombatBaby said: View Post
    once we make their stormtroopers obsolete they'll have to accept us

    i mean...we can take out a whole rebel base in several minutes
    Yes, very good point there dude! They'll see our effectivness and realizes who the betters are...

    Well, until then, I have managed to finnaly get some time and fix the helmet mod (hopefully for the last time!) to make it more accurate. If you look at the older pics, you can see that it came to a point. Well, upon further review, I found that it was inaccurate to the game, and instead, is more round. Those of you who play regularly, at least in the first battlefront where the DT is a better playable character then the DT in BF2, can see that this correction is much better and alot more accurate. LMK what you guys think!







    -tubachris
  16. Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13
    Feb 22, 2007, 9:15 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #141

    looks like the back of the head of the Alien in "Alien" what you think? But definately lookin good. Once that plastic is in and such cant wait to check it dude.
  17. CombatBaby's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,333
    Feb 22, 2007, 10:48 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #142

    you have a nice collection of pots
  18. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 23, 2007, 6:11 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #143

    Quote CombatBaby said: View Post
    you have a nice collection of pots
    Why thank you!




    -tubachris
  19. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 25, 2007, 2:17 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #144

    Alright, heres a status report..

    The guant molds are pretty much done, just the bottom half needs one side w/ durham's and sand that, and they are done. The hands are sanded down, i just need to get some thin wood wo elevate the details and they will be done. The helmet mold details are done, just need to go over it one last time with some 120 grit to get it smooth and then that will be done FOR GOOD! Im now preparing the bicep designs. I have a sketch, I will post it later, because I need everyone's input cause its been a pain to realy get good shots of it. Fortunatly, from the schetches, I will only need one set for both arms. Really saves me the time and costs.

    I will also need to possibly move my completion date beyond June. The current rate, I wont able to get it done by then. Im reduced to only 3 days a week, sometimes on Sundays. I have orchestra on monday's and now have rehearsals on friday's for the Jamestown event. But Im still working, and by gum, I'll get it done!

    -tubachris
  20. Darth Valcar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    439
    Feb 25, 2007, 2:24 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #145

    It's looking good, keep up the hard work dude......
  21. Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13
    Feb 26, 2007, 8:32 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #146

    "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
  22. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 26, 2007, 10:03 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #147

    Quote ThisIsMyWorld said: View Post
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
    I dont have time for your petty nonsense....no, im not trying to be cute either...

    -tubachris
  23. Kantis Nolef's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    325
    Feb 26, 2007, 10:10 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #148

    Hey ThisIsMyWorld, do you have a costume you're working on? I'm just curious.
  24. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 26, 2007, 10:31 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #149

    Quote Kantis Nolef said: View Post
    Hey ThisIsMyWorld, do you have a costume you're working on? I'm just curious.
    He doesnt, hes kinda sorta my DT buildup roadie....

    -tubachris
  25. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,943
    Feb 26, 2007, 11:02 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #150

    Okay, I know this may seem insignificant, but since its been hard getting good reference of the biceps, but i need input. Here are some sketches of what I think they look like, and need help before I go ahead puttin them together tomorrow.

    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]






    -tubachris

Similar Threads

  1. :bowdown: Two Darktrooper Figures FTW
    By tubachris85x in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec 6, 2007, 11:11 AM
  2. Question to set the record straight about Darktrooper's
    By tubachris85x in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov 28, 2007, 6:28 PM
  3. BKBT PAINTING PROGRESS (BACK)
    By AFettFullofDollars in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jan 26, 2006, 12:12 PM
  4. Armor: Chest, back and cod armor
    By Migrate from As You Wish in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 226
    Last Post: Mar 6, 2004, 1:06 PM