Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread 8MAR2011: Getting back to it

wicked build glad to see you getting back into bro,

-Mike

you sir are an inspiration

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Well had an awesome time at Star Wars Weekends this past weekend. I randomly learned of one LFL author, Jason Fry, was to be doing a book signing. One of his latest books, "the essential guide to warfare" came out in April, and they had some for sale, which I promptly purchased. The reason being, is that because of his writing, the Phase 0 Darktrooper was retroconned, i.e., was NOT considered to be part of cannon, but was re-instated as cannon, therefore, making this project squared away for 501st approval.

So I did the only logical thing and had to meet this guy and thank him. He was a bit shocked considering how obscure it was for me to bring up. But he said that they wanted that little tid-bit to be short and very to the point, explaining that the clones that were turned into "more machine then man" was a major pshycological blow to the clones, having fought machines their whole lives, which drove them mad and even to suicide...

So I'm going to do the best I can to complete this project. I just aquired all my TK parts to fill out the base armor. I'll be posting up questions for assistence as well...thanks

-TC

- - - Updated - - -

I'm awaiting some measurements of existing OSCS clone armor, since the majority of my armor is already OSCS pieces, from the tall kit version. I'm going to *attempt* at matching the scaling of the chest armor with this.

I do have a question though-I have the TK style shins. While they match according to the game, I cannot decide if I should leave the angular detail (Where the knee plate would be attached) on or cut that off to give the piece a smoother look. While the detail is soft on the 3d model, I cannot decide if this is something I should do.

- - - Updated - - -

Started to do some trimming today...however, got pretty rained out. I'm having to get another forarm set as I received two of the same side, and may have to return a bicep piece for some QA issues...

Anyways, just a mock up but cant wait to start cleaning these pieces up to get some paint on them...

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

So I spent the better part of the day finishing up the trimming and sanding. I focused on cleaning up the (one) forarm that I'll use, a bicep and the shin armor. I've run into an issue with the calves, but as with my clone armor, I need to get some experienced members to help me with the construction, as they are a tight fit on me..

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Posting to update that a lot has happened since I last worked on this project. It has been on hold due to numerous setbacks, mostly financial. In the time since I last posted, I went through a break-up and a move immediately following C6. So, the project has been kind of shelved. I left Tallahassee, forced to put a majority of my prop stuff and all my tools in storage. I've got the helmet with me, but that's it.

I can post now, that I just recently got hired for a government contract type position and will be starting this week. This will be the start of my desired career and money will be much better then I ever had. In the next few weeks, I'll be traveling up to retrieve the rest of my property and get back to work on this..

A local member is currently building his own Vaccuformer which he's agreed to allow me to use in the near future.

I'll keep this updated as I move along

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

OK!

Fiberglass reinforcement is complete. Gotta wait for it to cure but that's ok. I'll begin bondoing hopefully soon as well. Looks nasty right now, but it'll look pretty soon enough. Big thanks to my buddy Anthony for coming all the way down to help!!

Also, I've created a facebook group for my project, come check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/444065075668835/

From
    Jackson, Ohio

Glad to see that you're finally able to get back at it, man. I've been anxious to see the end product since you started it. Good luck

From
    Kent , UK

just found this, great build

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Started sanding the helmet today. Haven't started the bondo work but I've got an industrial size thing of it waiting to be cracked open. It's going ok for now, focused on the face today, but it's gonna take time. Cut the eyes out but don't have all of my dremel bits to get the rest, so it looks kinda goofy at the moment. Gonna start bondo tomorrow...

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Spent considerable time today, though the results for the day's work is minimal. I do miss my mouse sander. Got this far by hand, but it shows that it works so far, but is just going to take along time. I'm not a "bondo ranger" like I've seen others so I'm feeling the "pain" already lol

Anyways, focusing on the dome for now. I noticed that there is bump on the helmet that is the remnants of a particular expanding foam incident years ago when I first built the model. I'm going to need to correct this, but I'll require a power sander to make significant headway. Otherwise, I'm going to just keep building up and sanding till it gets there..

Thanks..

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Not posting as much since this phase is just bondo after bondo work. I was able to borrow a mouse sander and a dremel from a friend which helped out a lot! Before slathering more bondo on today, it was actually really looking good considering how it looked when I started. At this point, the majority of it is looking good, but I'm focusing on filling out and leveling/evening out particular areas as well as forming the dome's rim to make it more defined and get that "polygonal" look taken out and brought into a real world round look.

Also mad the eyes look less goofy. Still need to get my needle files though to get the remainder out. Thanks for your patience!

-TC

Time for an update!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Horse1969 said: View Post
    Time for an update!

Believe it or not, I am about to dive right back into this. I've got a handful of commissions I need to finish. It's paining me that I haven't done anything. I'm waiting to get some assistance with the 3D files to scale up for me.