Subscribe
    Jun 18, 2009, 4:49 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #826

Well no molding pics yet, but I wanted to show how I'm prepping this. I cut out the sections where the areators are. I can't have it flat for obviouse reasons, but I'm thinking now that I should have left those sections closed for molding (Ooops..)

Anyways, some things I just can't smooth out as I like, but these things will be fixed once I get the first cast made. I'm going to make a rotocast helmet for the transition/master. This will allow me to have a strong sturdy base to work with while still allowing me the freedom of making adjustments as I need. I am most likely going to switch the type of clay I'm using though, cause it's not adhearing to anything!

As you can see, I also removed the chin greeblie. I want this portion to be as smooth as possible for the transition cast. It was really difficult to get the back section as smooth and clean looking as I wanted, so thats the purpose for removing it now. I will be adding it on for the final master.

I took this picture, because I really wanted to show how much I'm emphasizing on details, despite the 3D model being flat, I really used my references from my FX TK helmet. I really think that it brings a sense of more realism to it then just a video game.

-TC
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Oct 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM.
    Jun 18, 2009, 5:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #827

Before I signed up here I read through the entirety of this thread, and I'm very impressed my friend. That's a really cool idea for a costume, and I can't wait to see it complete. Keep up the good work!
    Jun 18, 2009, 7:35 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #828

Good work Chris, I personally used Kleen Klay Non-sulphuric, really awesome stuff, just don't BuMP it.

Flat spots for the aerators, use a forsale sign or plastic from a star wars fig card.
  4. Member Since
    May 2009
    Jun 18, 2009, 8:25 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #829

Looking good
    Jun 18, 2009, 8:34 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #830

Quote Jangojedi said: View Post
    Good work Chris, I personally used Kleen Klay Non-sulphuric, really awesome stuff, just don't BuMP it.

Flat spots for the aerators, use a forsale sign or plastic from a star wars fig card.
    Thanks! Yea, I was going to do something similar, should work!

Just one more update for tonight, I originially was just going to slap on the decal details, either pre-made ones or hand painted. I first tried to sculpt those sections out, but to no avail.

Despite my first failed attempt, I want to get that TK look going, so I went at it again, and managed to pull it off well IMO. All the trapazoids and "tear" drop details are now physically sculpted in.

The back looks wide, but using my reference, it is actually this wide apart

Thats it for now, thanks!

-TC
    Jun 18, 2009, 8:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #831

For those attending Dragon Con, you will be able to see the first finished helmet on display
    Jun 18, 2009, 10:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #832

Every time you post pictures I am equally as giddy as a schoolgirl and as jealous as hell! Are you going to be selling helmets and armor after you are done molding and forming?
    Jun 18, 2009, 10:51 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #833

Quote TK-1221 said: View Post
    Every time you post pictures I am equally as giddy as a schoolgirl and as jealous as hell! Are you going to be selling helmets and armor after you are done molding and forming?

LOL That's the first time I've ever made someone do that.

It's looking more like just the helmet when I'm done with it. The armor at this point is on hold. I'm not sure where I'm going to be after july, with the military and school. It's a bit chaotic, but I'm going to have to say the armor portion will have to take place sometime next year, as much as I don't want to have to wait that long.

-TC
    Jun 20, 2009, 10:27 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #834

Yea I've just decided that I'm not going to be using Moulage for the transition mold...just going to stick with silicone all the way.

Everything I find about moulage molding is leading me to believe that it's not good for molding a helmet. Plus, I'm afraid of ruining the clay and details just trying to apply the moulage. Silicone will actually adhere for the most part when brushing off. Moulage, after melting it in a double boiler (which I don't have either) is that it won't adhere until it's cooled down.

So yea. Besides, all the videos I found online were in French...

Silicone all the way, but I just need mo money.

-TC
    Jun 20, 2009, 1:02 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #835

This is coming along great!
    Jun 26, 2009, 4:45 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #836

Alright, got a bit more work done on this. I decided to form the indentations for where the areators will go. It actually worked out alot better then I thought! Just re-inforced the inside, across where I had cut it, with two large strips of styrene, which I hot glued into place. From that, I not only increased the structural support where it had not existed before, but gave me a platform to create the areator indentations.

Of course, I still have alot more clean up to go, but it's looking pretty good IMO. Also, you can see the areator I will be using, which I feel fits rather well, and proportionate. Ignore how far it's sticking out, because when the helmet is finished, the areator as you see it will, half of it will be inside the helmet, and the rest of it sticking out, revealing only the smooth section. To get a better idea of that, look at my FX TK faceplate I was originally going to make the helmet from, and these are the same exact areators from that FX faceplate.

The helmet's right side looks deeper the the helmet's left, but that is partially due to the lighting and shadow. I feel it looks alot better in person..

Thanks!

-TC
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Oct 13, 2009 at 6:20 PM.
    Jun 27, 2009, 1:39 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #837

Chris,

Looking great.

I look forward to more progress pics.

I can`t wait to see the completed helmet.
    Jun 27, 2009, 3:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #838

Thank you very much Jodo!

I got around to trying to smooth out the back later last night. It looks a heck of alot better then it did originally..

-TC
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Oct 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM.
    Jun 27, 2009, 9:05 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #839

Excellent work Chris, keep it up man! I haven't had a lot of time for mine, been working double shift and trying to spend time with the family when I get home. I can't wait to see you finish this out.
    Jun 28, 2009, 2:32 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #840

Quote Jangojedi said: View Post
    Excellent work Chris, keep it up man! I haven't had a lot of time for mine, been working double shift and trying to spend time with the family when I get home. I can't wait to see you finish this out.
    Thanks man! I hear ya on that, I just started summer classes, taking 6, leaving me completly drained at the end of the day...Good work on your armor progress though!
    Jun 30, 2009, 6:12 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #841

Wow Chris, that is looking fantastic! Put me down for one when you get finished!
    Jul 16, 2009, 5:19 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #842

Well, I'm packing up and moving out of the house. Lease is up at the end of the month, so I'm going to be moving back down to Ft. Lauderdale for a few months or so. One of the things that's really going to suck, is that I won't be able to mold the helmet before I do move.

Going to be really risky, but I'm going to have to transport the sculpt 400 miles without anything ruining it..
    Jul 16, 2009, 5:42 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #843

man that thing is rocking! hope the move goes smoothly
    Aug 15, 2009, 9:57 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #844

Well, I finished the move and I'm back home. I wanted to give the damage report though..

My scratchbuilt jet pack, well, has been ultimatly destroyed.
    The pepakura chest armor and back piece, I had to dispose of. I had no room to transport these at all
    the helmet sculpt is still intact. I was as careful as I could be with this, but still suffered damage. I need to spend awhile repairing it

Non related, my fusion cutter prop began to fall apart (due to heat)

So yea, thats whats going on right now...

-TC
    Aug 15, 2009, 10:12 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #845

That sucks Chris. Bumps on a sculpt might lead to a better finished product though.
    Oct 13, 2009, 6:31 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #846

Just making a status update.

Not giving up, just taking my time. The move put some damage on the helmet sculpt, but nothing that cannot be fixed. I'm thinking about re-working some details on the face for more accuracies, and might throw in some small details that are reminicent of real TK helmets, but nothing to sway it from accuracy.

The jetpack that I spent time scratchbuilding, well, completly fell apart, and I've pretty much scrapped it, save what pieces that I can keep. I was planning on re-doing the jetpack anyways, but it still sucks. Lesson learned though.

My dad has been renovatiing my grandfather's house, and say's that I can use his seperate garage/building as a workshop when he's done getting permits, etc. So I'll have a place to work on this armor, indoors and have alot of space.

I will be re-building a vac-former, with help hopefully. Reusing pieces from my original former. I can't say when this will all actually take place, but I'm expecting to begin sometime during the winter or sometime AFTER I return from Army basic next year. I need a solid income before I can really do what I need for this project. After what happend to my jetpack, I want to do things right the first time, so I don't have to repeat anything again.

-TC
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Oct 13, 2009 at 6:39 PM.
  22. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Oct 15, 2009, 7:22 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #847

It's been like watching a movie, reading this thread and following your progress and you life as I've read. I'm touched by your experiences. Ta! for sharing it makes this place real with real people and real passions.
    Oct 16, 2009, 6:33 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #848

Quote jamesblog007 said: View Post
    It's been like watching a movie, reading this thread and following your progress and you life as I've read. I'm touched by your experiences. Ta! for sharing it makes this place real with real people and real passions.
    Thank you

I wanted to let you all know that there will be a major change to this project depending on certain circumstances. I'm going to continue and finish the current helmet, but I've decided to take a more "original" turn on this.

I'll keep ya'll updated

-TC
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Nov 17, 2009, 10:31 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #849

any words to describe the pure awesomeness of your hard work would be a waste of my time to write and yours to read.
  25. Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Dec 20, 2009, 8:42 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #850

Jangojedi and Tubachris:
    Any updates on your Dark Trooper projects? I'm new to the boards, and have been looking for a costume for someone my size, and a DT sounds like it would be a great fit (I'm 6ft 8, 300#). I'm REALLY impressed by your work so far, and hope you get these finished soon so I can start working on mine. Good luck finishing them and getting them approved by the 501st.

Adam