Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 30, 2007, 10:58 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #51

cutting out mdfs sheet, glueing them, and planing them down....

now you know how i feel.

Unfortunately i've had a lot less time to work on mine now that school started. By the time i'm down with that, and work, it's 9 and most people are already asleep in my house, bad time to run scrollsaws and hand planars.

looking good tho

-=QuinN!
    Jan 31, 2007, 12:47 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #52

Good news.....

Remember DARKTROOPERNUT? Well since what he did really ticked people off here and myself, in order for him to make it up, Im having him help me get some of this done as payback. Hes gonna spend a few days with me when he gets down here for his spring break from college. Payback is always fun...

-tubachris
    Jan 31, 2007, 10:18 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #53

Getting there, 2 sanding belts, wrist cramps and looking like a tusken raider, got me to 8 layers so far. Im thinking i may need to make at least 2 more, then i'll just add one or two layers of the semi-circle "wall" pieces..

On top of this taking longer than it should be, seeing that my current jigg saw does not work, I covinced my parents to get me a new one, but I will have to wait till next week or so. Starting to take some shape.

-tubachris
  4. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Jan 31, 2007, 10:59 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #54

From what I've seen it looks good. But less than half the pictures actually show up for me...
    Feb 1, 2007, 7:19 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #55

Quote zombierepellent said: View Post
    From what I've seen it looks good. But less than half the pictures actually show up for me...
    Thats weird, is it the web browser thats causing that? If you want, I can send you the pics..

-tubachris
    Feb 1, 2007, 9:02 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #56

Another update as I wrapp up tonights work.

Im showing alot of this mold only because this you might say would be the Darktrooper's most unique piece of armor, despite the jumpjet pack. Tonight, I added 2 more layers, glued them together, and began to shape it out. I got alot of it done, but theres more sanding to do. I mainly started on the top left (if your looking at it from behind) As you can see, I put it next to the FX pieces to show a really rough preview of what its gonna look like in the end.

On a side note...MDF sawdust smells like cat ****.....

-tubachris
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Feb 1, 2007 at 9:07 PM.
    Feb 1, 2007, 9:31 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #57

Nice work! Keep it up!
    Feb 1, 2007, 9:35 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #58

Looks good. IMO the point needs to slant down more.
    Feb 1, 2007, 9:46 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #59

Quote TeamFett said: View Post
    Looks good. IMO the point needs to slant down more.
    Yea, like I said, it needs more sanding. Where the bottom curve ends, is where the top one will slant to. You cant really tell from the pics, but I have lines drawn on the top to show where the helmet curves around, and I have yet to sand the area up to that line, once that is sanded, it will slant more, and be farther down. lol, this sanding took me about 4 hours....

-tubachris
    Feb 1, 2007, 11:43 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #60

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post

On a side note...MDF sawdust smells like cat ****.....
    -tubachris
    wear a respirator and dispose of the dust.

mdf contains formaldehyde, which will mess you up.

you definately don't want to inhale this stuff. sand somewhere that gets good airflow.

just a friendly tip. the back of the helmet looks great

-=QuinN!
    Feb 1, 2007, 11:46 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #61

Looking really good there Chris! I'm just wondering if that weight from that helmet won't make you fall over .
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Feb 1, 2007, 11:51 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #62

that piece of wood is for a base mold right?

because man that would be heavy depending on which type of wood it is (i take wood shop hehe)
    Feb 1, 2007, 11:53 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #63

Generally since my arms are like noodles I think any big concentrations of wood are heavy.
    Feb 2, 2007, 6:05 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #64

lol, its jut the vac-form mold, the cas will be made of plastic

tubachris
    Feb 2, 2007, 11:25 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #65

This is something I've been waiting to see for some time. Great job, dude! Keep up the good work. I know there will be several of my buds back in OK who will be interested in your progress, as they want to do Darktroopers themselves. It's good to know someone is willing to teach us.
    Feb 2, 2007, 1:03 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #66

Hey dude, your custom came out very well done and original. As far as teaching how to build the Darktrooper..lol...Im learning as I go, but I can help alot in the end. Forgive the time, because the mold making process is a real time consumer. I'd be happy to help anyone with this, but so far theres not much lol. Thanks.

-tubachris
    Feb 2, 2007, 2:18 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #67

Quote CombatBaby said: View Post
    wear a respirator and dispose of the dust.

mdf contains formaldehyde, which will mess you up.

you definately don't want to inhale this stuff. sand somewhere that gets good airflow.

just a friendly tip. the back of the helmet looks great

-=QuinN!
    Oh boy, all Ive been using was a towel wrapped around my face, with a pair of goggles I had found. I had asked to get one for this part of it, but they said that "couldnt you just use one of the cheaper disposable masks?" I really do need to get one though, but so far I havent had any ill effects yet. I find myself covered in the saw dust, even up my nose at the end of the time I spend out there. So its gonna catch up to me at some point if I dont get a respirator..

-tubachris
    (Who needs his lungs to play Tuba)
    Feb 2, 2007, 3:17 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #68

If that wood has formaldeyde in it be careful when handling it too. I dont know if it will bother you or not, being absorbed, but that stuff can burn your skin too. I had chemical burns from the wrists from it one time. It wasn't fun.
    Feb 2, 2007, 7:10 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #69

lookin sharp chris
    Feb 3, 2007, 2:37 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #70

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    If that wood has formaldeyde in it be careful when handling it too. I dont know if it will bother you or not, being absorbed, but that stuff can burn your skin too. I had chemical burns from the wrists from it one time. It wasn't fun.
    As long as the saw dust from the mdf isn't wet it'd be "ok" for skin contain. "ok" meaning it won't kill you, breathing it in on the other hand, like anything else, will affect people in differents ways..but all negative. even a simple $0.99 dust mask(if not a respirator) will help.

-=QuinN!
    Feb 3, 2007, 1:46 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #71

You know what the funy thing is, that I havnt really had anything happen to me yet, but then again, I dont want to jinx myself. Ive been covered in the saw dust several times and nothing has happend yet. Dosnt mean Im not ignoring the warnings, I just think its kind of funny that nothing has happend. Man, oh man, Im gonna be messed up when I reach 40.....

-tubachris
    Feb 3, 2007, 6:58 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #72

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    . Man, oh man, Im gonna be messed up when I reach 40.....

-tubachris
    At least you'll have a cool costume
  23. Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Feb 3, 2007, 8:16 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #73

Sup dude, its your brother (from a diff fam) , u know ari, for real this time bud. I love how the progress is coming along. Its def shaping up pretty good dude. Its gnna take a bit more time but its shaping up. You should post the pictures from after you were on back molding that pvc pipe part. now that was a funny sight!
  24. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Feb 3, 2007, 11:59 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #74

Hey it looks good, all the pics are showing up now.

I've never heard of a dark trooper before this, what is it they do and why is their helmet so messed up?
    Last edited by GrottyFurball; Feb 4, 2007 at 12:08 AM.
    Feb 4, 2007, 1:42 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #75

Quote ThisIsMyWorld said: View Post
    Sup dude, its your brother (from a diff fam) , u know ari, for real this time bud. I love how the progress is coming along. Its def shaping up pretty good dude. Its gnna take a bit more time but its shaping up. You should post the pictures from after you were on back molding that pvc pipe part. now that was a funny sight!

lol, I looked like a crack addict..Glad to see your being serious now about it..

zombierepellentHey it looks good, all the pics are showing up now.

I've never heard of a dark trooper before this, what is it they do and why is their helmet so messed up?
    Darktroopers originated from the game, "Dark Forces," was about the special project of building these super droids, called darktroopers. They were developed in three different versions, or phases, 1st one, being a skeletal droid, with a shield and a sword (weird for a SW game) phase 2, which is similar to the one Im doing now, and then, the phase 3, where in the game, was like a mech suit for the Admiral who created the project. They were like the super seals of the imperials, but more evil in a sense...

-tubachris