Subscribe
    Sep 18, 2008, 1:07 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #676

I've read all 7 pages of this thread ... And all I have to say is .....Tuba just keep up the good work and have fun
    Sep 18, 2008, 1:36 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #677

dude. getting back on track again i see. chest looks awesome. too bad you aren't closer i'd love to help you with this stuff since we are the same size
    Sep 18, 2008, 10:43 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #678

Quote CombatBaby said: View Post
    dude. getting back on track again i see. chest looks awesome. too bad you aren't closer i'd love to help you with this stuff since we are the same size
    lol believe me, if I only had someone helping me with this, I'd be done ages ago, thanks for the offer. Oh, since you say your my size, I guess you'll want to be a future darktrooper as well?

As for my vac-form molds, the forearms and biceps, I will not be forming them myself, as I do not have the necessary funds at the moment to overhaul and upgrade my former, despite having built it for this project. However, I will soon be making a trip to a FL garrison member's place where he will be able to cast my molds in black ABS plastic, which is what I really want, and will match the clone armor pieces later on. So that's whats going on with those.

-TC
    Sep 18, 2008, 10:50 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #679

Keep it up dude.
    Let us know when you find out more about the Purge Trooper from TFU too! I'll let you know if I find a pic online so you can compare that model, to the one from BFII. Since I can't take screen grabs off my 360, I'll just wait to check wookieepedia for updates to the purge trooper page.
    Sep 18, 2008, 4:57 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #680

Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Keep it up dude.
    Let us know when you find out more about the Purge Trooper from TFU too! I'll let you know if I find a pic online so you can compare that model, to the one from BFII. Since I can't take screen grabs off my 360, I'll just wait to check wookieepedia for updates to the purge trooper page.
    Yea, I just an up close look at one, lol in the not so good fashion. I can see some resemblence, but nothing to close, except for it's size. I am really hoping to see a darktrooper as they made for the star wars mini's, I imagine that they should, but who know's, just gotta keep playing to find out!
    Sep 18, 2008, 7:23 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #681

Krusty Oooooooooooooo'sssssss!

Seriously man thats looking great. The proportion seems pretty "on" to me. Keep it up! Just keep on foldin'!
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Sep 19, 2008, 9:33 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #682

Scale your height to the Clone Trooper model you have. Then scale the templates from there. Problem solved.
    Sep 20, 2008, 1:43 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #683

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Scale your height to the Clone Trooper model you have. Then scale the templates from there. Problem solved.
    Well the thing with the model that it dosnt account for is the difference in proportions with leg length vs. arm length. For myself, my legs are longer, and if I really just did that with the model for the templates, the chest, for example, could be too tall or too short, and not look right, where other parts could fit me perfectly.

Fortunatly, I feel that the proportions are correct so far for what I have. Im just a little upset now that the JP ive been building is actually too small :ugh:
  9. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Sep 20, 2008, 2:33 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #684

Then scale your leg to the model's leg, torso to torso, arm to arm. Mathematically, it works. Also, you could just stretch the model to your proportions, I don't know how much you know about 3D animation or 3D studio.
    Sep 20, 2008, 1:37 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #685

Then scale your leg to the model's leg, torso to torso, arm to arm. Mathematically, it works. Also, you could just stretch the model to your proportions, I don't know how much you know about 3D animation or 3D studio.
    True, I see what your saying, but I am only making everything above the ab plate from pep. The only other piece I'll be doing are the shins, which will be easy enough to scale lol.

I am not very knowledgable about 3DSmax, other then the basic features that I need to know to get it into pep.
    Sep 20, 2008, 9:54 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #686

I have a sony that can freeze caps and send them to memory card, if I get off my rear and play the game, ill take a screen shot when I get to it.

I dont remember them in the book, but I dont think there was a mando in the TFU book either, but they are definitally in the game. So ill let you know.

m2
    Sep 21, 2008, 1:17 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #687

Bah, I know that the darktrooper is not in TFU, but it clearly references "the darktrooper project" as the source for the Purge Troopers.

After finding that SW mini, Ive started to build my argument about getting A darktrooper accepted into the 501st. Sent a PM to the FL garrison's GML, which I'll post my main argument from that PM, because it outlines how I feel:

Ive been having this kind of debate with others lately, and as you know, Im working this suit. The issue is whether or not, although EU, a Darktrooper can be accepted into the 501st, and after that, which version, if not, both.

The thing with the references, is that the one true darktrooper appeared in "Dark Forces," the PC game, but then followed up by an actual action figure. Thats however two visual references-no third based on that image. (the argument of wether it's a droid or not, the phase three in the game, the commonly known version that is, is a "power suit" worn by the main character/enemy)

Dark Forces Phase Three "power suit"

Then we get to the comic, "Sand Blasted" from "Star Wars tales #4" in which the DT appears again, however, the appearence *resembles* that of the phase three from Dark Forces, but is non-canonical in relation.

"Sand Blasted" Darktrooper:

The next visual reference, from which I am basing my project on, is from the SW BattleFront series. Although, non-canonical to dark forces, it's still labled as one. Recently, I came across a mini "darktrooper" figure from the "force unleashed" SW Mini's pack, which clearly resembles the battlefront version, with just slight differences.

SW BattleFront darktrooper:

SW Mini's "force unleashed" pack darktrooper:

So the main point about this suit, in regards to getting it approved, is just that there is just a huge grey area, visually speaking. There is not one version that has 3 "canonical" appearences, abiding to the 3 reference source rule for acceptance, but at the same time, has more then 3 references, so it's like "okay, now which one??"

Im not necessarily saying that the one Im working on should be accepted, but I feel that if the DT is allowed, that it should be at least the Dark Forces version, being the first time ever appearing.

So yea, thats how I feel lol Just gotta see where it goes I guess

-TC
    Sep 21, 2008, 11:17 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #688

Oh boy, I dont know what I got myself into..

I added more clay to try to level out the dome

lol this takes awhile to put on
    Sep 22, 2008, 10:26 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #689

Making the tentative CRL for the darktrooper to get approved by the spec ops detachment
    Sep 23, 2008, 9:02 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #690

Just some pics of the helmet sculpt progress. I think it's actually starting to shape up a bit. Just need to try out the various smoothing techniques, and I'll be good to go from there.

In this, I started the face, added some rough details, such as under the eyes, the teeth, and really worked on the ears tonight as well

-TC
    Sep 24, 2008, 10:23 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #691

Heres some more nightly progress. I started smoothing out the clay a bit. Its not where I want it, but it's alot better then before. Seems to work best with water and sponges.

-TC
    Sep 24, 2008, 10:40 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #692

The amount of work you've put into this is staggering. Awesome dedication and results!
    Sep 24, 2008, 11:44 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #693

Coming along nicely! Keep it up, man!
    Sep 25, 2008, 2:12 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #694

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I couldnt sleep, so I did a bit more work, trying to detail and shape the left eye, and giving the "overlap" detail, thats present on stormtrooper helmets. I also started building up the upper nose area, between the eyes. The tear drop is just there, a rough version. Im hesitant to cut out the lower chin piece until I really have to.

-TC
  20. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Sep 25, 2008, 6:17 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #695

I say put the lump in the eye, like other Trooper helmets have.
    Sep 25, 2008, 7:23 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #696

Looking great Chris, keep up the good work!

G-Fett
    Sep 25, 2008, 5:59 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #697

I say put the lump in the eye, like other Trooper helmets have.
    Im thinking about doing that or not. Not sure yet, because I'd be cutting that out after I would cast it anyways.

Im not sure yet if I'll make it bubble or just keep it flat. If I do bubble, I'll probably sculpt a set of lenses, mold it and make hard resin bucks to vac-form over, hopefully, be able to find a good color PETG or acrylic sheets to use.
    Sep 26, 2008, 8:51 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #698

Some more progress on the sculpt. Man, I tell ya, once I started today, I just lost track of time! lol

Im using my FX faceplate as a reference for how it *should* look. I gave one side the correct depth, that is present on TK helmets. I also started to shape up the mouth or "grin" as well. These pics are at certain angles to show you those details.

I also found a somewhat good smoothing technique, using a flat piece of styrene plastic..however, its very difficult lol You can see, I used it for the newer sections, and I feel that I will leave those smooth sections alone unitl molding.

-TC
    Sep 26, 2008, 9:32 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #699

Wow, I'm absolutly loving that, enspecialy the pepkura chest/back. I've never fully understood it, but man, it came out awsome!
    Sep 26, 2008, 10:36 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #700

starting to look really good tuba. after you sold me that fixerupper boba helmet and i restored it a while back, you said you "couldn't have gotten it done yourself" i dont believe you after seing this. i cant wait to see the finished helmet.