Darktrooper Progress Thread 8MAR2011: Getting back to it

From
    Saint Louis, MO

Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread

Hey Chris, How is modeling clay workin. I know when I worked on my RC bucket, I would get my tools or hands wet to smooth out the clay, Any other little imperfections can be taken care of when it dries. You just have to keep covering it with plastic. Like actually get a plstic bag and wet done the clay and stick the bag on it so it will not dry out until you want it dry. Then I double bag it. So incase the plastic comes off it isn't drying out on me. Looks good.

I have been lookin at my FX and I think I might cut this up to do a DT. If I do I will definitely send ya pics. I want to see you finish this thing. I have always wanted to build a DT myself. Keep at it MAN.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

I honestly havent tried any of the clay smoothing techniques yet, but I will take into consideration your method!

Good luck using the FX helmet. After making the pep helmet, and comparing it to the FX, you could see alot of differences in appearence. You'd have to completly cut up and re-do the face if you want to make it somewhat accurate.

Im currently at the moment learning how to convert the shoulder bells, chest and shin/calf armor into pep so I can use as either a guide or use to make molds!

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Alrighty then. With help from a 405th member, I learned how to convert the 3D model into pepakura! This will help making the rest of the armor easier for me. What I did was first do the shoulder bells. I decided to spend some time, and make a minature shoulder bell, the right one if your looking at the front of it. Not 100% perfect, but small stuff is hard to build if you have huge hand/fingers rofl.

Its hard to make out, but this is the best angle to really recognize it. You can see how much the model looks without smoothing.

I just need to figure out the scaling thing. I am only guessing, but I printed these out without modifying anything, and would venture to say its scaled for probably a 12 inch tall figure

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

just isolated the chest piece

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Well, I couldnt wait, so I decided to put this together. I think it came out pretty well. Ive decided that Im going to be molding the armor pieces that I make myself, and cast in a plastic resin. Of course, I'll be adding bondo and or clay before to make it all smooth!

-TC

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Cripe, I just compared the size next to the helmet, and compared it next the the 3d model. I will have to increase it's size a bit to make it proportional. Plus, I felt it is a bit snug. I just need to figure out the proper proportions. I really dont want to re-do the helmet, after getting this far with it

From
    Orlando, Florida

Looking like progress to me! Keep up the work man, don't give up! We're all rootin' for ya!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

*sigh* Got 26 pages of cardstock. Resized the chest piece from 14 1/4 inches, to 20 inches. Be back in the future

*speeds off*

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Alright. Just finished assembling this sucker. No other word I can say about this, then that its huge, but i fits in the sense that it falls into place where it should. I'll get a pic of it on me sometime..lol

-TC

From
    Orlando, Florida

Very nice bro! Looks a lot less like a bra, or in your case, a bro.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

askywalker98 said: View Post
    Very nice bro! Looks a lot less like a bra, or in your case, a bro.
    Har har, yes, I know I need to lose some weight, Im working on it!

Here it is on me. Ignore my face

I have these up for comparison, to show how it should 'look' with everything else

The actual pep appears wider on me because it's not secured in anyway. It actually extends a bit around, and is supposed to be a bit more tight around me then it is.

-TC

From
    Orlando, Florida

Now, is that extracted from the game model as well? Or did you get a TK Pep model and modify it?

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

askywalker98 said: View Post
    Now, is that extracted from the game model as well? Or did you get a TK Pep model and modify it?
    Everything you see is the actual game model.

Looking good!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Well, this involves alot of thinking as well as money, but I can only type my thoughts. *sigh* I feel Ive wasted alot of time working and building parts, then actually getting results.

Ive decided now that Im going to not use the FX TK backpiece that I had begun to modify. This is because after making the chest piece, it's just too small and will look really off.

The Jump jet pack, I will now be redoing, making out of Pep, clay and mold

The shoulders and shins will follow in the same process as I already decided. I just need to build, fiberglass, fiberglass, and some more fibgerglassing with a touch of silicone molding....

From
    redwood city, ca

This thread is awesome.

that's huge! Do you think you might have any problem lowering your arms to your sides with the chest piece being that big?

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Apollo said: View Post
    that's huge! Do you think you might have any problem lowering your arms to your sides with the chest piece being that big?
    I know its big, but one thing that you will have to know, is that this pep model constructed as is, has the edge/rim, bent inwards, making it appear "thick," but then I mold and cast this, it will be the same thickness as typical plastic vac-formed armor. But yes, I can move my arms around at least lol. If anyone is planning on doing one of these suits, start bulking up rofl

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Bah, I cant seem to decide on anything in regards to doing this armor. Right now, I really want to get this suit finished by next dragoncon, but the reality of molding it is really a far stretch at the current rate I am going right now.

Ive been giving it alot of thought today, and Im thinking about just fiberglassing and bondoing the **** out of it, shape it, and use it for the final piece. I would do this for all the pieces that I'd need to make out of pep, but I'll still mold the helmet.

Just right now in between deciding.

Oh yea, apparently polyurethane is like 3 times cheaper the silicone, but I have no idea about that at the moment....kinda my random thought of the day...

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Building me a backplate as we speak. Cant use the FX, it's just too small and will look bad :ugh: I really need to watch what I spend my money on for this....

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Back plae/piece/armor/thingy is done. Matches the height with the chest, so its all proportioned evenly. I think it came out pretty well for what it is as of right now. Here are some pics:

The armor is supposed to lay just like the TK chest/back is, where it is seperate, where as a clone is connected at the sides. In this pic, is was hard to get a decent shot on my own, so thats why it looks 'off.'

One thing that Ive been doing lately has been volunteering at the FSU Master Craftsman studio-they do all the primary artwork you see around the campus, as well as America's 3rd largest stain glass window on Doak Campbell stadium. Well, Ive been talking to a few of the guys that work there about molding this, and they've been telling me that there are ALOT of various ways to mold something like this, for alot cheaper then the methods that I have been *Thinking* of using.

Ive been throwing around the idea of using plaster, so I can at least get a good cast for myself at this point, but I'll be talking further with them hopefully. So thats what's going on. LOL learned how to put on a mother mold today over a bust, but they used this polyurethane gel like material that burned like napalm if you got it on your skin.

-TC

you're going to look gigantic when you get all that armor made proportionately. This build is one of the coolest that I have ever seen

From
    Sydney, Australia

G'Day,

If your going to do a body cast, you'll need to use alginate and plaster (mother mold), or Silicone (best choice) and use fibreglass (Mother mold) it will expensive. I've looked into it to make my master chief armour.

I've read that Poeple have lost fingers trying to do a cast of their hand using plaster. Personnel I would go with the silicone. You still going to need a couple of people to help you with it.

Or the Duct tape method! Cheapest by far!

You can also contact Skupilkinson here at TDH and comission him to make Pepakura file for you. His rates are very reasonable, but it may take some time he's abit busy at the moment.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

1ManBattalion said: View Post
    G'Day,

If your going to do a body cast, you'll need to use alginate and plaster (mother mold), or Silicone (best choice) and use fibreglass (Mother mold) it will expensive. I've looked into it to make my master chief armour.

I've read that Poeple have lost fingers trying to do a cast of their hand using plaster. Personnel I would go with the silicone. You still going to need a couple of people to help you with it.

Or the Duct tape method! Cheapest by far!

You can also contact Skupilkinson here at TDH and comission him to make Pepakura file for you. His rates are very reasonable, but it may take some time he's abit busy at the moment.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions
    Hows it goin!

Thank you for your suggestions! I have been thinking about it, and since Im on a tight budget, I'd go with the ducktape method. Im not necessarily in a rush for one at the moment. lol yea, everything is expensive..

Oh BTW, my scratchbuilt jump jet pack is too small

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Look what I just found, star wars mini's for the Force Unleashed. Look familiar?

Last edited by tubachris85x; Sep 21, 2008 at 12:20 PM.