Subscribe
    Jun 30, 2007, 12:23 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #326

Quote askywalker98 said: View Post
    Is there any places that fix this kind of stuff? That really stinks bro...

I can see if either home depot or lowes can do it, but Im afraid that if they do, by the time its all said and doine, I might as have paid for a new one. The worst case scenario is that I have to cut the cord and re-wire it myself, or buy a new one. Its a great sander and I would hate to lose it. Having to pay for a new one wont really help cause paying for just materials is getting hard. I still need MDF to just make molds, and im only working one sheet at a time.

Ay, just wait till I need more plastic.

-tubachris
    Jun 30, 2007, 12:45 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #327

You could always try and reverse the motor. I don't know if you could swap wires around to do that or not. I guess there is a possibility of frying the motor. Just a thought.
    Jun 30, 2007, 10:14 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #328

Sanders fixed.

-tubachris
    Jul 1, 2007, 12:40 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #329

Sorry I didnt elaborate enough, I was in a rush. I was taking the whole thing apart to try to remove a section of the plastic that was holding the cord in place. Got as far as removing the whole motor and internal guts. No luck with that. So in a small fit of frustration and some man handling, I pulled the cable out. Wasnt strong enough yesterday for some reason, but oh well.

Project is a go..

-tubachris
    Jul 1, 2007, 12:26 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #330

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    So in a small fit of frustration and some man handling, I pulled the cable out.
    Sometimes there's nothing better than plain old brute force. It's helped me in situations similar to this.
    Jul 1, 2007, 12:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #331

Man handeling, ha ha! Glad you got that thing fixed! It would not have been too hard to re-wire it if you really had to though. How much did that one cost you anyhow?
    Jul 1, 2007, 3:07 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #332

Yes, Ive found myself in MANY of those moments T-bone. Cant tell ya how much its saved my butt either!

Skywalker98, fortunatly for me, two of the main tools I use, the circular saw and this sander was my grandfathers. I am lucky enough that my grandmother let me borrow them. Re-wiring wouldnt have been hard though, but in this case, I didnt have to in the end. Although, when I pulled it out, there is a slice in the rubber liner that almost goes down to the main wires.

However, I had to tear apart a perfectly good sheet of belt sandpaper..

-tubachris
    Jul 1, 2007, 3:07 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #333

Nerts! Double post..
    Jul 2, 2007, 6:24 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #334

So I decided to check out this plastics place nearby and man, they are expensive! They had the HIPS plastic, but only in one size. So before I decided to get a sheet, it turned out that after its $36 for a 4x8' sheet! There was an additional charge for cutting cause it wouldnt fit into the ford focus we have, and plus after all that, the final charge was $52 for just one sheet. I thought it would be cheaper then ordering it and such, but im just sticking to the online ordering of plastic for now on..

-tubachris
    Jul 2, 2007, 6:41 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #335

Ouch man... ouch. At least you checked it out though!
    Jul 2, 2007, 7:14 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #336

Did you think about cutting it down in the parking lot before you put it into the car? Just bring a good knife with you and a quick bend..SNAP and its cut. Just a thought.
    Jul 2, 2007, 9:10 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #337

Or do you know someone with a truck? I'm sure you could put a nice slice in a truck bed. Nice idea WhiteArmor!
    Jul 2, 2007, 9:31 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #338

Quote WhiteArmor said: View Post
    Did you think about cutting it down in the parking lot before you put it into the car? Just bring a good knife with you and a quick bend..SNAP and its cut. Just a thought.
    It was storming outside at the time though...

Just wanted to say something...

I know my progress on this is slow, and im sure people who are watching this may be getting impatient with the fact that its so slow. I just want to assure anyone who feels that way that no matter what, you will see a darktrooper suit at the end of this whole thing. Plus, I decided that im only going to join the 501st with suit first, thats if they accept it. If not, I'll just do another suit. I apologize that some things are progressing slower then others, and I admit that I procrastinate on alot of things, this being one of them. So I just want to say that Im working my best to produce something I think is worth while, and I can obviously see the interest in this particlular project. I too get impatient, even with myself because I feel that Im not putting 110% into every aspect of this build up, or im not completing something I know I should have by now (the Jet Pack!!!) If you feel that Im slacking on something or Im not doing as well on something, please LMK, I need constructive critizism. I know this particular trooper is not as studied as the rest of the standards, but in the later part of this, alot of the things you'll start recognizing. So if you see something that you honestly think looks or is like ****, let me know! Dont be afraid to say anything.

I wrote this, because I was getting the feeling that some are getting impatient with this, and that leads to the "no credibility of producing" judgement. Lol I guess what Im really trying to say is I need time to do this, I am, after all one person. Thanks

-tubachris
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jul 2, 2007, 10:39 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #339

A good costume takes time man, take all you need. At the end of the day, the only person who should be impressed by it is you. Don't worry about what others think or how much time it takes.
    Jul 3, 2007, 5:22 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #340

We're not rushing you... now hurry it up!

But seriously, we're not getting impaciant with you. Sorry if you feel pressured by anyone's posts, I'm sure that that was not their intent. Your doing amazing work! Just because you slow down doesn't mean your doing bad or we are getting tired of waiting. Take your time! Trust me, if I had a progress thread for my Jango costume, it would be dead right now. Your doing just fine!

Now get back to work!
    Jul 3, 2007, 8:37 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #341

I dont know, theres not really any one post that got me to think that, its just a "feeling" I got. Maybe im just beeing to critical..

Anyways, just something small, I think it looks good for the shape. Its the thruster nozzle for the jump jet pack. Worked out good with the lamp shade, and took less than a mintue to mark and cut down. What I need to do is sand down the pvc part, cause I painted it and while drying, wind blew the pvc particles from when I cut it right onto the wet paint. So sand and repaint that, and then got to paint the lamp shade grey. Im thinking of putting greeblies on the inside of it, so that when you look in, it actually looks like something that would be inside a thruster nozzle. I think it looks pretty good for its shape.

Oh yea, I still got to trim and even out the area where the shade meets the pvc.

-tubachris
    Jul 9, 2007, 12:09 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #342

Sorry guys for the lack of some updates, Ive come down with a fever or something. Going to the doctor today to see whats wrong

-tubachris
    Jul 10, 2007, 5:38 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #343

get well soon chris
    Jul 10, 2007, 12:06 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #344

Chris,

Hope you are feeling better.

Get well soon.

Jul 10, 2007, 12:39 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #345

Thanks guys. Im feeling somewhat better today. The fever part of it went away later last night, but Im still having some headaches that havent gone away. Doc is having me do a CAT scan today. I think theres nothing serious, but we'll see. I'll be getting back onto the project soon enough

-tubachris
    Jul 10, 2007, 7:22 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #346

Everythings fine according to the doctors. Apparently, my brain is "un-remarkable."

Better get back to work then..

-tubachris
    Jul 10, 2007, 9:36 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #347

Good to hear you are doing better, TubaChris! I think your project looks amazing so far. I can't wait to see more from it!

-Fordo
    Jul 12, 2007, 2:05 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #348

Its not finished but I decided to paint it while I was semi-alive the other day just to do something.

Im not trying to make excuses or anything, but one thing after another keeping me from working on this project. Between me being sick, and now, there was a random and spontaneuos descision to take a trip up the east coast to New York this saturday I dont mind goin, its just Ive been set back soooooo much to get work done. As stupid as this sounds, I think I had more time to work during school then I am now in summer. My mother has had me install 7 new light fixtures, one track lighting, 3 outdoor lights, 2 indoor dome lights and 1 wall light, forgot the name for them. And now installing a hanging light to hang over our soon to be dinning room, All this in just this past month.

So since its harder for me to get the actual molds worked on, Im gonna focus on the jump jet pack until I can get real time to do something because I know I can spend whatever little time I have working on it.

Its taking a looooooooooong time, and Im not even done with the arm molds yet. Not to mention the mods I need to make to the vac-former. Arg, too much to do, so little time.
    Thanks guys for your support and being patient with this.

-tubachris
    Jul 12, 2007, 6:46 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #349

Just hang in there, man. You'll get it done. If building a costume was easy everyone would do it.
    Jul 21, 2007, 12:53 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #350

Well, the time has almost arrived, in less then 2 weeks, im moving up to tallahassse into my new home for college. Im gonna try to bring everything that I need to work on this with me, but its gonna be difficult cause I also have my brother moving with me, and sharing the truck. The worst case scenario is either I cant get my vac-former equipment up or even worse, I wont be able to get my locker with all my tools and the molds up. Im not thinking it will be too much of an issue, but theres always the possibility my parents will say "you dont need it, so dont bring it."

So for these last two weeks down, im packin and getting everything I can ready, gotta install another light before I go Armor making aint easy

-tubachris