-tubachris
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Jun 9, 2007, 8:19 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #277

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    First casting is tonight, I'll post pics of the results

-tubachris
    Sounds good.
    Jun 9, 2007, 8:47 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #278

Awesome! I look forward to seeing the result!
    First casting is tonight, I'll post pics of the results

-tubachris
    Jun 9, 2007, 11:42 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #279

Bah, so I tested it out tonight, and the machine and everything works great. The only problem is that its my first time doing this EVER. I tried the helmet mold first, but the plastic wasnt evenly heated enough, but got most of the shape. The bottom areas are not formed. Another thing for this mold, im gonna have to use ABS or thicker HIPS. The top of the formed piece was thin enough to squeeze and even crush. So i decided to hold off of the helmet mold until I can figure what to use for it. I put in another sheet, and this time, I learned how to heat the plastic better, by rotating it over a period of time, until the sides and such were soft. This time I wanted to try out the Guant top half and the two hand pieces. BUT due to my stupidity, I never put the larger mold over the vaccum hole, resulting in the center of the plastic to be sucked right into it.

My brother and his friends from college decided to watch me do all this, they thought it was pretty cool, despite the bad casts. lmao, they had a field day with the two bad casts. They thought the helmet cast looked likes Big Foot's head, and wore it. Pics to follow.

I know that people dont like to show their "faliures," but I have to so that everyone knows im workin to get better then before.

-tubachris
    Jun 10, 2007, 12:30 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #280

Here they are. I apologize that I wasnt able to produce something quality enough the first time. I just need to keep practicing until I get it right.

-tubachris
    Jun 11, 2007, 2:13 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #281

Well, today was better. Practicing is slowly paying off, but I still need some more, and also some more plastic, but I still have one sheet left over, and Im not going to use it until I order more.

Some better results, but I need to improve. First off, the helmet mold. I have gotten better at learning when the plastic is hot enough, but Im still having issues getting these corners soft enough. For the helmet mold, the second time casting it, it came out more sturdy and the plastic stretched enough to allow the top to be thicker, but it cooled a bit before the bottom could form properly. Second time, it actually formed completly, and was the first time it has formed completly, but the plastic is just too thin. I know that the HIPS can stretch enought to keep it firm, but I need to get thicker plastic, because I cant keep wasting good sheets until I get it just right for one mold. Here is the first formed piece:

Next up, I decided to give the guant and hand guards a try. Im a bit happier this time, becuase it formed somewhat, and almost all the boxes formed great as well. Pictured below, is the better of the ones. This cast however, the end boxes didnt form completly due the plastic not stretching enough.

This is probly my first good cast, small, but Im happy about it. This is the left hand guard which formed with the guant above. The detail appeared and no defects. I just roughly cut it out, and I need to cut and sand the edges and its a keeper. Now I just need to do this with everything else.

Note, the detail on the surface, the line on the strip closer to my thumb is hard to make out in these pics, its there, just the flash makes it dissappear.
    More practice needed, but I think I have improved a smidget.

-tubachris
    Jun 11, 2007, 4:29 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #282

wow!!! more please...
    Jun 11, 2007, 11:25 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #283

Wow that looks great! I'm surprised you don't have that many replies since you posted your work. For the helmet, maybe you need to cut the mold in half going down so you have 2 symmetrical halves. I think since it's so tall, the plastic has to stretch so much, but if you cut it, you could lay the pieces down with the fresh cut to the table, and have two halves to the helmet back. Just my 2 cents. Those look like some good smores.

Good luck! How did your graduation go?
    Jun 11, 2007, 12:07 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #284

Quote askywalker98 said: View Post
    Wow that looks great! I'm surprised you don't have that many replies since you posted your work. For the helmet, maybe you need to cut the mold in half going down so you have 2 symmetrical halves. I think since it's so tall, the plastic has to stretch so much, but if you cut it, you could lay the pieces down with the fresh cut to the table, and have two halves to the helmet back. Just my 2 cents. Those look like some good smores.

Good luck! How did your graduation go?

It went very well, 3 hours long but it was a good night, thanks for asking!

I had actualy thought about possibly cutting the helmet mold in two, but Im afraid of how it would look having seam running down the center of it. Im just going to use thicker plastic, maybe even try to use ABS so that it will match the rest of the helmet pieces. Jus to throw out this question, does anyone know the type of ABS or even what source they use for the FX TK suits? Thanks guys!

-tubachris
    Jun 11, 2007, 12:48 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #285

Whew thats a long graduation!

If you cut it in two, can't you re attach the pieces then use a filler? I'm not sure how much bondo likes plastic, so you'd have to ask someone else about that.
    Jun 11, 2007, 2:26 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #286

Quote askywalker98 said: View Post
    Whew thats a long graduation!

If you cut it in two, can't you re attach the pieces then use a filler? I'm not sure how much bondo likes plastic, so you'd have to ask someone else about that.

I guess I could try it, but I wouldnt want to risk it. I took the better formed cast (although thin) and cut some of it and just wanted to test fit it. Im gonna have to make a few adjustments to the mold. I also took the guant half and the hand guard, and cleaned them up and I may even keep the guant half until I cast the bottom half. The hand guard is definatly a keeper, so Im just gonna have to cast the right hand now.

-tubachris
    Jun 11, 2007, 11:09 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #287

I decided to use the last sheet today, Im gonna order more on thursday, so I formed the other half of the forearms. I think it came out well. I just need to do some more cleaning and fitting, and im gonna paint them up, and it will be the first piece of the armor!

-tubachris
    Jun 12, 2007, 6:05 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #288

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see more. Just out of curiosity. Have you thought about putting a sheet of pegboard over the vacuum base? You would have to build a sealed box with the vacuum attachment on bottom and pegboard on top. You wouldn't have to worry about the plastic sucking down into the large opening that way.
    Jun 12, 2007, 7:51 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #289

I guess I could try it, but I wouldnt want to risk it. I took the better formed cast (although thin) and cut some of it and just wanted to test fit it. Im gonna have to make a few adjustments to the mold. I also took the guant half and the hand guard, and cleaned them up and I may even keep the guant half until I cast the bottom half. The hand guard is definatly a keeper, so Im just gonna have to cast the right hand now.

-tubachris
    Since you are painting it bondo is a great idea. Just rough it up then bondo and sand away. Once it is pretty smooth wet sand it with either 400 or 600 grit and it should look great then when you paint it.
    Jun 13, 2007, 12:51 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #290

Hey those look great! Keep up the good work!
  16. Jun 14, 2007, 11:59 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #291

how'd u make the vacu-form?
    Jun 15, 2007, 12:12 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #292

Quote ragamuffin_1616 said: View Post
    how'd u make the vacu-form?
    The machine you mean?

-tubachris
    Jun 15, 2007, 1:12 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #293

Here's a quick color test, need to fix some areas, need more paint.

-tubachris
    Jun 15, 2007, 1:34 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #294

This one looks awesome!

Keep it up!
  20. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jun 15, 2007, 8:27 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #295

This is really starting to take shape! Really looking forward to seeing the finished Darktrooper =D
    Jun 15, 2007, 9:30 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #296

I just want to see the helmet put together already
    Jun 15, 2007, 12:32 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #297

That looks sharp! Sorry about Vista.
    Jun 15, 2007, 11:55 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #298

Quote Zeever Fett said: View Post
    I just want to see the helmet put together already

Dont worry, Im working on it!

askywalker98:

That looks sharp! Sorry about Vista.
    Hey, whats wrong with Vista? lol, I got the Inspiron 11E05 laptop for a grad gift, and I love the thing.

Ordering more plastic this weekend, a sheet of .080 and a sheet of either .093 or .125 thick for the helmet casting.

-tubachris
    Jun 16, 2007, 11:31 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #299

Sooooooo....Are those smores screen accurate? It's lookin' better and better evry time I see it!
    Jun 16, 2007, 12:37 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #300

Great progress so far. I did have a thought about your electrical issues being an electrician myself. Depending on the age of your house and local codes, the best place to find a dependable 20 amp circuit (2400 watts at 120v) would be in your kitchen. Another option would be your laundry room. Where do you live at exactly? If you're somewhat nearby, I might be able to help out in the electrical department.