Darktrooper Progress Thread 8MAR2011: Getting back to it

Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread

Keep up the good work Chris!

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Dude could it be the resistance of each? Maybe current does flow through each part but if it's longer it may have more of a resistance so may not appear to glow so much?
    Even single element heaters look brighter one side than the other. Anode usually.

Just a wild, crazy, probably way off guess.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

sl/tk8456 said: View Post
    Dude could it be the resistance of each? Maybe current does flow through each part but if it's longer it may have more of a resistance so may not appear to glow so much?
    Even single element heaters look brighter one side than the other. Anode usually.

Just a wild, crazy, probably way off guess.

That could be a possibility as well. Another thing that I may have done was not evenly distribute the nichrome wire. As you said, the resistance might be preventing the wires from heating, but I have yet to see or feel anything coming from those wires. Im gonna do some more tests on it. If worst case scenario, is that I would have to get new nichrome wire and re-wire it better then it was.

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Well the latest test really screwed things up. I feel like an idiot and jerk in many ways because the wire was pretty much ruined. It put too much power and it, and the wire in different areas just snapped apart from it. Now i need to get more wire. I feel like a jerk cause the wire was generously given to me and I feel like it was just a waste now because I couldnt figure out what was wrong before it was destroyed. I need to figure this out so dont keep going in a loop with this.

Some good news though, I was able to order a 4 x 8 0.80 thick sheet of HIPS today. Also, at my sea cadet unit, our navy league sponsor, who owns his own marine deisal engine/ mechanical shop company down the street from our drilling facility told me that he would let me come down and they would teach me how to weld and will let me make my own metal tubing holding frames for the vac-former. Its going to work out, just frustrating. Thanks guys.

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Okay, well some good news today. That dealine of May 1st? No more dealine for completing the helmet for that CIV presentation. Also, I ordered 10 feet of the 22 guage nichrome wire. That should be here probably around friday. So thats whats going on. In the mean time, Im gonna do some voltage readings so see where all this power is going to!

-tubachris

From
    Richmond, VA

Hey man! Keep it up! It's looking awesome!

Don't let this get the best of you!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

I decided to go through trying to finish most of the helmet, and I think it came out pretty well. I put the red LED's into the areators and they are pretty bright. Its kind of good now that I didnt get the actual FX areators, or else I wouldnt have been able to do this. I also attached the bubble lenses and put in a metal wire grill into the grin. Take a gander and LMK what you think of the "face" of the Darktrooper.

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Its been awhile since I said anything on this thread, but Ive been busy working on this. I can say I confidently figured out the problem with the oven (for sure, unlike the last 25654651 times...) Im sure its the math of it all. Its the watts and the power. In a house, there are two kinds of breakers, 15 and 20 amp breakers. Outlets in homes have a voltage of 120, sometimes 110, but usually between that. My home is consistantly 120 volts. 120 volts x 15 Amps = 1800 watts. For the this oven, will need over 2000 Watts, so I want to go for 2200 watts, thats about 18.33
    amps. So I just need to find an outlet on one of the 20 amp breakers, so that I can produce the 2200 watts I need. Because of this, it affects the length of nichrome wire needed. In this case, it requires about 32.2 inches total, with 8.8 inches per segment. I didnt do this math in the begining, cause I just never realized. But I can honestly say that this is the problem and this is the solution. It will be done and I will get this working. I expect to finish the helmet sometime before or after I graduate on the 29th.

-tubachris

From
    Las Vegas

It looks GREAT!! Looking forward to seeing the finished helmet.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Hey everyone,

Ive been out for awhile, but the project is soon going to be taking off. Im graduating soon, so I'll have the whole summer for more progress. Its not over just yet!

-tubachris

From
    Jackson, Ohio

Early congrats on Graduation man!! Can't wait to see how this comes out when you get back at it.

-Troy

Your Slacking TubaC! Step it up! See it this weekend

From
    Orlando, Florida

Hey this is looking great! Focus on graduation. I graduate in two days! Woot! Will they let you march in gear? Ha ha that would be awkward. Good luck!

formerly joNich
    From
    Columbus, OH

Congrats on the graduation! Looking forward to your summer progress.

I love it and want one!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

firstsonofsolo said: View Post
    I love it and want one!
    A Darktrooper? I actually have recieved a few requests for more info when its completed, for possible copies. lol, one said he would never fit in it, but would want one just for display!

Thanks guys for staying patient with me on this, Im trying to do as much as I can to get further and further. Ive been really trying to form a team or a group of people to help me out, but I cant find anyone really reliable, or even able to come down to help out. I got my brother interested, but hes not really a star wars fan, let alone prop building/costuming, but he said he might help out during the summer. ThisisMyWorld im trying to have him help me out, but hes busy this summer, but I think I can run a good operation once I move up to tallahasse for college.

I think if I had somethin like that going, we could really speed up the project. The team working idea was motivated after learning how the RC armor was made. I honestly can say its very ovewhelming doing this, and I would prefer help on this. I cant really pay anyone for any work or help, but it may payoff in the longrun if I can do this right.

Anyways, thanks for keeping me motivated for this project, its like runnign a really long mile, it sucks running it, but once you cross that finish line, you feel better then anything.

-tubachris

From
    West Coast, USA

tubachris85x said: View Post
    Thanks Tbone, those are alot more ref pics that I could have found for the dark forces darktrooper. Where did you find them though? I am actually doing the battlefront darktrooper, but I am planning on doing a dark forces darktrooper sometime after. Thanks!

-tubachris

The pics were on Star Wars Miniatures cards and the figures are from Star Wars Miniatures.

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

Find a good outlet yet? most garages have bigger breakers if you have one I'd be all about taking it over. When I get home I'll be taking my moms over till I get my own

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

zombierepellent said: View Post
    Find a good outlet yet? most garages have bigger breakers if you have one I'd be all about taking it over. When I get home I'll be taking my moms over till I get my own

Hey,

I havent gotten around yet to trying to find the outlet. I can say for a fact that there are several 20 amp breakers in my house. Tomorrow is my last day of high school for good, and on thursday, my plans are to first sleep in until noon, eat at chipolte, and then work on the oven. I still need to get a 20 amp plug before I can attempt pluggin it in. Me and m bro are also in the works of planning a huge 4th of july party, I.E. revamping our backyard, with new light fixtures, put tile on the patio, fix up the grass, build a bar and even a tiki hut! My only concern is where will I be able to work after all that is done?

-tubachris

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

My only advise for the patio is to check the weather before hand. I told that to my mom before she went ahead and started and half way thru she got rained out, and yeah the tile job was ruined

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

zombierepellent said: View Post
    My only advise for the patio is to check the weather before hand. I told that to my mom before she went ahead and started and half way thru she got rained out, and yeah the tile job was ruined

Thanks for the advise, kinda funny, we just had our roof re-done, and as soon as they finished, it started pouring, and hasnt stop since, for a few days now.

Anyways, Im sooooooo close, the only thing thats keeping me from finishing this oven is an extension cord, I cant reach the proper outlet yet lol. As soon as its up and running, Im casting that sucker!!

Also, Im gonna try to get some more work done on the jet pack as well.

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

AH HA! IT WORKS!!!!

Its actually working, all the coils getting hot, but not glowing, or over heating. I did some voltage readings, and power is going through everything.

Im in shock really, lol, its hard to believe I can actually move on now

-tubachris

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

You are the man.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Well, today was a very good day. The oven works after all this trial and error. I really appreciate everyones help and most of all, being patient after all this time.

Tonight, just to have a "micronic" celebration and to test it, me and my g/f decided to make some smores..I think they came out pretty good in my oppinion...

They were mighty fine.
    Something I was concerned with though, is that the center coils were glowing a bit, cant see in the pic. Not all of the coil in the center segment were glowing however. One thing I noticed is that the sections of the coil that were glowing, were not "flashing," but it would glow semi-bright orange, cool down to regular color, and glow again. I was worried because last time, the coils that lit bright orange melted lol. But this seems to stay steady. The trial run lasted about an hour or a little over and reamained constant. It got VERY hot, and the extra cement board cover helped contain it.

Once again, thanks guys for your help. Next step is makin a holding frame and casting!

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Great news, Im half-way done with the plastic holding frame, and I purchased a 6.5 HP shop vac. The platen is done, and I tested the suction using a plastic sheet and theres no leaks. Once the frame is done, I can test out the casting!

-tubachris