Subscribe
    Apr 3, 2007, 11:38 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #226

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    Yea, the surface can fit 4 of the helmet molds if I had sculpted 3 more of them.

-tubachris
    Do you want to? I might know a quick, fairly easy, and inexpensive way to do it if you do need duplicates of a mold? As long as there aren't any undercuts.
    Apr 3, 2007, 11:42 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #227

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    Do you want to? I might know a quick, fairly easy, and inexpensive way to do it if you do need duplicates of a mold? As long as there aren't any undercuts.
    Are you thinking of the plasteriing and filling of resin/silicon method? I thought about that, and I may need to depeing on whether or not I need to cast several of the same pieces to save time and plastic. The onoy thing with that, is that I can probably only cast the helmet mold one at a time because of its height, and I dont want to risk losing a whole sheet versus being able to only have one cast on it. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but wat do you mean by undercuts?

-tubachris
    Apr 4, 2007, 6:28 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #228

Any grooves or crevices that cut back underneath another part. Like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	undercut.JPG 
Views:	2004 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	16747  
    Apr 4, 2007, 12:05 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #229

I'm really enjoying your progress! Your enthusiasm is awesome!! You are showing incredible creativity and perserverance!! Right on!

Helmet's off to you!

-Rex
    Apr 4, 2007, 12:21 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #230

Quote Bountys Hunted said: View Post
    I'm really enjoying your progress! Your enthusiasm is awesome!! You are showing incredible creativity and perserverance!! Right on!

Helmet's off to you!

-Rex
    Thanks, I really do apreciate that.

-tubachris
    Apr 4, 2007, 8:13 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #231

Almost as big as my foot...

Apr 5, 2007, 12:48 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #232

For any of you guys going to CIV, (I cant-no money/transportation ) I just found out that they are going to have a 501st panel with representatives of each class. The special ops COG will be making a presentation, and is going to include pictures of the helmet progress and will make note of it being a battle front dark trooper, also will put my full name with it for credit. Yes, I have a last name, but you'll never figure out my middle (for those that actualy see the presenation) I may not be there, but im happy that my project will be getting more attention.

-tubachris
    Apr 6, 2007, 7:43 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #233

Well upon further thought and planning, I have decided im going to scratch build an oven for the vac-former. I went to home depot and picked up some hardibacker 1/2" cement board, 15amp plug, switch box, 20 amp switch and only 10 ft of 10-2 G romex wire. I still need to get the nichrome wire, ceramic posts and the appropriate screw and such. I have most of it, but I need to get the last parts online.

-tubachris
    (And I have no idea what Im getting myself into..)
    Apr 6, 2007, 11:59 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #234

Alright, took about half an hour, but the layout of the wires on the hardibaker is drawn up. Now I just need to get the drilling done and order the rest of the parts... Fortunatly, I got this drawn in one shot.

-tubachris
  10. Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Apr 9, 2007, 3:46 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #235

W O W! We got ourselves a picasso! Way to go dude keep em comin!
    Apr 10, 2007, 5:33 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #236

Saturday, I went with the local 501st squad to a hospital visit to help out. I had chance to look at a few of the tk parts in person, and I was able to see the hand guards. I have to re-sculpt these for the reason that mine are too small for me at least. Theres nothing wrong with the ones I have already sculpted, its just their size. They may fit someone else's hands, but not mine. Im also going to try something else that may make these easier to make. Some things I need to fiz, is making them more curved, and making the detail more clear. I have the idea that maybe using some sort of dense, but thin rubber, cut out the right size of this, and since it would be flexable, it would just easliy form to the rest of the mold. So no more having to sand a solid piece of wood hoping it has the same curve as well as not being too thin.

Also, the nichrome wire for the oven was graciously donated to me by CJanassen, a fellow member on the tk560 site. I want to make a note of his generosity for my project.

More coming soon. I plan to get this oven finished before the end of April, or mid May, so that I can start the casting. My goal right now is to finish the helmet completly no later then the first week of June.

-tubachris
  12. formerly joNich
    Apr 10, 2007, 6:44 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #237

By the end of this...you'll be a celebrity. Just don't get so far and then quit...HANG IN THERE!!!
    Apr 10, 2007, 7:17 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #238

Quote BigJon said: View Post
    By the end of this...you'll be a celebrity
    lol, I dont think it will be that big of a deal

-tubachris
    Apr 11, 2007, 5:12 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #239

I gotta say, finding these suckers took me awhile, and then trying to find enough for this was just as hard. I need 56 of these #10-24 1 1/2 bolts w/ screw nuts. I have all the screws with washers and wing nute for the terminal posts and those are just awaiting the ceramic posts I still need to order. Unfortunatly, while I have everything else, I still need 13 more bags of the 10-24 bolts. I am just ticked they just couldnt sell these in a box...
    Not pictured is a piece of sheet metal which I will use to help attach the oven walls together.

-tubachris
    Apr 15, 2007, 7:33 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #240

Seeing how I was denied being able to purchase helmet decals, and I couldnt find any online (at least where I was searching) Im forced to just paint on the details. Fortunatly, when I first went paint shopping for the correct grey, I picked up the wrong shade, kept the paint though, and went out and found the right shade. Well, Ive realized that it is a good enough shade for the helmet details. Ive painted this on the helmet already, just deciding between a black marker or the auto stripping for the black lines. I'll post pics whens its completly finish.

-tubachris
    Apr 16, 2007, 1:37 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #241

Hey man. Have you tried the Testors decal making kit you can get at the model section at Wally World or hobby stores. I've used it for all of my decals and I've been very pleased with the results. You should be able to just buy the decal paper and the spray you coat it with, after printing, separately. All you would need to do is make the decals to scale on your computer and print them on the waterslide paper.

-Troy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weathered Decals sm.JPG 
Views:	1798 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	17072  
    Apr 16, 2007, 4:00 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #242

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    Hey man. Have you tried the Testors decal making kit you can get at the model section at Wally World or hobby stores. I've used it for all of my decals and I've been very pleased with the results. You should be able to just buy the decal paper and the spray you coat it with, after printing, separately. All you would need to do is make the decals to scale on your computer and print them on the waterslide paper.

-Troy

Hey, T-bone, I was thinking about doing that at first, but I actually started last night on this, and it looks prett sharp so far. I painted the grey on the boxes and the tear drops. Im using the left over pinstriping from my last project for this. Its 1/8 inch wide black auto-motive stripping, and Im cutting each section in half. Since Im not using the FX decals, Im making it I guess more accurate to the ANH Tk helmets. I finished the first tear drop, and I think it came out pretty well. I will post pics later tonight once I finish the other boxes and tear drop.

Also, my helmet completion date has been moved to May 1st. I know its like 14 days from now, but im sure as heck gonna try for it. The reason is that the Spec Ops. COG is going to show some pis of it at C4 during the 501st panel presentations. I want to have something more than and face plate taped to a mold. May 1st is the deadline for giving him pics.

I just ordered the ceramic posts, but I will not be able to order HIPS until thursday. I can at least finish and test the oven. Its gonna be a close one if it makes it here before May 1st. Wish me luck!

-tubachris
    Apr 16, 2007, 11:16 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #243

Okay, well I wasnt able to finish all of it yet, but not that much left. I figured I should start showin instead of talking, so here it is. I was using a ref pic of an actual tk helmet from the movie for the lines to make it a bit more accurate then the standard FX decals

On the dome, I left the bottom line the regular width because Im afraid that It would be too thin when I put the face and back pieces together, and possibly exposing grey underneath the line.

-tubachris
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Apr 16, 2007 at 11:22 PM.
    Apr 19, 2007, 10:39 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #244

Well, the oven is starting to take more shape then it has been. Not 100% perfect but it will do. Excuse the unusual shape of the brackets, cutting the sheet metal was more of a pain in the *****. I have a knack for buying things I think I will need, or work at the time, but it dosnt, but somehow later on down the road, it helps me finish or do something I need to. The mistake im talking about this time is the jigg saw blades pack, I got and it didnt work for me at the time, but now it does cause it has a metal cutting blade. However, accuratly cutting the metal is harder then one thinkc. Looks dosnt always matter, its how it works, and it works fine so far. The ceramic posts should be in sometime next week Im assuming, and hoping. Also, I need to re-sketch the oven coil guidlines, they are too close to the oven walls as you can propbably see.

-tubachris
    Apr 20, 2007, 1:16 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #245

Thats coming together really nicely! Great work!
    Apr 20, 2007, 11:27 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #246

Good news, the ceramic insulator posts came in today! So this really will help speed up the progress. Im hoping to have a fully operational oven ny Monday. Im going to try to do most of it today, re-sketch the guildlines, drill the holes, put together the post w/ bolts and in place, construct the terminal posts, wire the electronics and start the nichrome wire coiling...hmmm, I may even be able to finish it tonight even. Regardless, it will be done by monday.

-tubachris
    Apr 20, 2007, 2:38 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #247

Have fun with it! Sounds like you know what's going on.
    Apr 20, 2007, 5:57 PM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #248

Good luck! Hope everything works out well with it.

-Troy
    Apr 22, 2007, 12:21 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #249

Sorry, I was working on the oven since 9 pm on Friday and went to bed at 530 this morning only having to get up for sea cadet drill at 630. Im very tired. Ive realized now that I blew a breaker after turning it on and letting it run. I then realized that I forgot a second segment of the ground wire that needs to lead to a metal piece. Today, I re-set the breaker, added the secod segment of the ground wire and stuck it temporarily between the metal bracket of the oven walls. I turned it on, only this time, the coils from E to D were orange hot. I couldnt tell is the other coils were getting hot or not. I didnt run it long, but I turned it on and off several times. From what Im seeing, it appears that all the 120 v is going through only to those coils. Another factor is probaly how I wired or wrapped the nichrom wire. It was never 100% clear to me how to properly do this, if anyone can tell me the exact method they used, it might shed some more light on how to solve this issue. I will say that it was VERY hard for me to wire tie the 4 black cables. I will get a short video to show what is happening. Thanks guys, im goin to sleep now.
    -tubachris
    Apr 23, 2007, 9:05 AM - Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread #250

Hey everyone.

Ive been doing alot of work on this oven, and its been very frustrating. I fixed the isue of blowing the breaker by adding a second switch and plug so now I can keep it on for as long as I need it to. I am still having an the issue of only the center coils heating up, and I mean it glows and is very hot. I cant seem to figure out why the other wires wont either. I am thinking that maybe the nichrome wire somewhere is just not connceting or something. I still have to run some tests to see whats wrong.

Im really hoping to figure this out soon and get it working 100%, but the dealine of May 1st is just next week!

-tubachris
    (I can at least make some smores off of it right now)