Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 7, 2008, 12:57 PM - The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #1

Hey guys,

I just wanted to start a short thread to post a pic of my latest set of templates.

I just finished unfolding and arranging the parts that will make up a 1/1 scale Clone Trooper helmet!! This is the helmet as seen in The Clone Wars.

image6-jpg

image5-jpg

I liked the new design but Stormtrooperguys latest set of updates on his Hasbro conversion inspired me to start this one. I hope it looks good to you guys, for more info you can visit my blog. The link is in my sig.

Thanks alot guys.
    Dec 7, 2008, 6:19 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #2

wow, that's awesome
    Dec 8, 2008, 12:56 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #3

Thanks Brian! Your mods inspired it. I'm really pleased you like it. With all the reference you've studied for your build you must have become a TCW clone expert by now.
    Dec 11, 2008, 6:01 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #4

Here is about a bit more than 2 hours of work with Skip pep file.

The unfolding is very well done - which makes the build a bit easier than expected. First time using pepakura, I thought it would take longer and would be harder than that. But I think that with another 2-3 hours I could have finished it.

Alas the size is a bit small for my big noggin - will have to resize, reprint, rectut and build again. But thank Skip for a great model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helmetpepbuild001w-jpg   helmetpepbuild002w-jpg  
    Last edited by FullMetalSam; Dec 11, 2008 at 7:15 AM.
    Dec 12, 2008, 4:21 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #5

Fantastic start!!! Thanks so much for posting the pics bro!! You're doing a great job! What material are you using?
    Dec 12, 2008, 6:42 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #6

As you can see in the first pic - cereal boxes

Since winter is coming and I don't have anywhere I could work with fiberglass (a well ventilated area) in my house - I remembered something I read over at the 405th forums about using hot glue to strenghten the pepakura build. I knew the paper by itself (didn't have any cardstock to print on) would not handle the hotglue... so I cut out the template in paper - glue it on the cereal boxes and built it using masking tape on the outside (since the glue would go on the inside). The masking tape would at some point come off and I would bondo the exterior to give it a more finished look.
    Dec 12, 2008, 8:56 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #7

it may be a trick of perspective, but that looks really small.

is it big enough to actually go on your head?
    Dec 12, 2008, 8:59 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #8

I've had another report of it being too small. I must have messed up on scaling this time. I'll sort it and make sure it doesn't happen to others.
    Dec 12, 2008, 12:56 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #9

It's not a trick of perspective - it's way too small to fit my head.
    Well - mostly because I have a big head anyhow... I need to figure out the scale that's going to fit and then reprint the templates and start again.

I think I'm going to finish it anyway - going to be a great experience for the "real" thing... see if the process I have in mind is going to work.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Dec 18, 2008, 6:08 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #10

hello, I have been watching the forum for sometime and it is wonderful, I have not written about because for me is a little difficult the English language but I introduce my self, i am tk1090 from mexico I really love this forum and i will try to post more

great job Skupilkinson !! look very nice, but i think the chin is a little big compared to the helmets I've seen, it is true that the helmets of clone wars are much wider at the bottom but I think the model is a bit big in that area

well is only my perception

still looks great congratulations!!!!!
    Last edited by tk1090; Dec 18, 2008 at 6:13 PM.
    Jan 12, 2009, 6:49 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #11

that's awesome
  12. Feb 8, 2009, 12:41 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #12

Quote Skupilkinson said: View Post
    I've had another report of it being too small. I must have messed up on scaling this time. I'll sort it and make sure it doesn't happen to others.
    What about a reference dimension for something, like the top of the visor? People could use that to print it out and know that the print, and finished product, is the size it should be.
    Feb 8, 2009, 1:37 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #13

It gets scaled by it's total height. I have a buddy who's built it and knows the right height setting for it. I just need him to tell me what that is.
  14. Mar 29, 2009, 6:25 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #14

is there any way that you put them in a file I could print out and use ???
    Mar 30, 2009, 1:06 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #15

Yeah, I sell copies of most of my stuff through my blog. The link is in my sig.
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Mar 30, 2009, 3:52 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #16

Nice work skip, although I think you should remodel the mouth, at the moment it looks a bit big, and the ears buttons should stick out, not in. Keep it up
    Mar 30, 2009, 4:55 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #17

Great Helmet! Very Impressive! just one question how did you get the rim on the bottom of the helmet. I've had problems with that.
  18. Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Mar 31, 2009, 10:41 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #18

Hi Skup, I've been following your work for many weeks now and I must say I'm very impressed with your work ....so much so that I decided to join in the forums.

I've a 6 year old son and he's into Star Wars and I'm wondering if anybody out here would just stop at making 3d paper helmets/ masks than all the way to the real thing...kinda good enough for a 6 year old to wear one without going overboard.
    I'm actually looking at paper models which have fewer polygons to work with, like the one of the Pepakura Stormtrooper shown below.

I just made it very much larger than the original, which is intended to be a palm sized model. It's a little small ...but it fits my son and his eyes have to go through the teeth to see. I lined the inner part of the helmet with 2 layers of pieces of thick paper which made it slightly stronger.

I'm thinking of getting one such site started but maybe some advice from the experts will do me some good!

Mar 31, 2009, 11:28 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #19

What you've done is great for the little guy. It's kinda how I started, building and designing papermodels. Then I discovered what the guys over at the 405th were doing so adapted a little to do what I do now.

I know what you're aying about less detail for ease of building if it's for the kids. It can be done indeed as you've shown here.
    Apr 3, 2009, 11:27 PM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #20

hey skip i know you have seen these pics before but some others might not have and I got to get my post count up so i can get out of this noob section.

this was my fist attempt that came out just a little to small so i painted it to decorate my geek room, I've remade it since and its in line along with the many other projects I have going right now to be fiberglassed and bondod then the mold

Apr 4, 2009, 1:24 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #21

No problem buddy. I keep thinking of going back to this one and tweaking it further. The 3D model looked Ok but the front/mouth area always looks a little off to me when I see builds????

I know you'll make yours pop though.
  22. Apr 5, 2009, 9:16 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #22

Thanks skupilkinson, you rock most people whont even sell them to some one
    Apr 5, 2009, 9:21 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #23

Thanks buddy. I'm just about to finish up the EpII Clone lid too.

image3-jpg

image2-jpg
  24. Apr 5, 2009, 10:51 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #24

Sweet I cannot waite untill I start mine up I wanna be part of the 501 here in Il so these will help out a lot
    Apr 5, 2009, 10:55 AM - Re: The Clone Wars: Clone Trooper Helmet Templates #25

I'm not sure if these will be accepted by the 501st. I think that most of my stuff is accurate enough although they can be quite strict so there's no guarantee. As I sad though I think they're good and with time and work during the builds these could really POP!