Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2005
    Posts
    65
    May 1, 2006, 8:07 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #26

    Well, I suggest making backplates out of several peices actually, using epoxy or something similar to glue them together, and then sanding it smoothe, that way you get the nice crisp lines. I'm planning on upgrading my 1st gen backplate before animazement this year, which is when my Gen2 armor will be done.

    If your a real cheapass (me) you can actually build gauntlets with a little TCP, some velcro (hinges = better), lots of 2x4 ,and a little elastic. Thats actually how most of the people who produce vacu-formed gauntlets make their models in the first place. Not only will you get spiffy gauntlets that are real easy to modify and re-modify, but you get to buff up a little from moving around an extra .5-2 lbs on your arm! :P Only costs about 20$ too (minus all the woodworking crap)

    I'm actually doing a custom gaunt design that requires me to make them out of 2x6 actually, and it will essentially look nothing like boba's gauntlets, but hey, alls fair in love and mandos.
  2. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    May 1, 2006, 9:58 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #27

    Hmm, I might try your gaunt idea, but I'm currently making a set of custom gauntlets/armor from a pipe. It's not that bad. I tried making a cardboard outer frame, but it looks terrible. I'm also trying to use some leftover pieces and make a scissor-blade thing on my left arm.
  3. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    253
    May 2, 2006, 2:47 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #28

    Quote Nachturnus said:
    Well, I suggest making backplates out of several peices actually, using epoxy or something similar to glue them together, and then sanding it smoothe, that way you get the nice crisp lines.

    I have no idea where I would cut the pieces; Im not terribly advanced in terms of making armor
  4. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    253
    May 2, 2006, 2:47 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #29

    Edit: whoop, double-post
  5. Member Since
    May 2005
    Posts
    65
    May 2, 2006, 7:17 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #30

    well, my templates for the backplate have the lines for curvature drawn on them, and you can just cut away the parts that are flat, which I actually intend to do on version 3 of my mando for next year.
  6. Makan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    180
    May 2, 2006, 9:00 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #31

    I like your thought of making guantlets different then boba's and jango's not all mandalorian armor is the same and there is bound to have different armor. In the insider with the article on the mandos, the guy in the father son picture had different guantlets. And in the newest insider, there is a guy with different chest and stomach armor.


    Does anyone think that with the amount of new mandos popping up that they will become 501st approved?
  7. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    May 2, 2006, 10:25 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #32

    Let's hope and pray, my friend. It'd save me the trouble of making my tusken or RG
  8. Rich D.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    729
    May 3, 2006, 2:31 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #33

    Well, I think it's great to have a few "zero-budget Fetts" on the board. By the end of the year, I'll probably have a couple thousand bucks invested in my costume. If I took the time to make more parts myself, and made a few compromises, I'd probably end up spending far less.

    It doesn't really matter if your armor is made of linoleum, cardboard, trash cans, etc. if you're happy with the result, and if you spend time on the small details, like weathering.

    Zurath, you could get a lot of mileage out of that armor if you weathered it a little. Maybe pick a secondary paint color to show through the scratches, and make some convincing battle damage. Here's a quick and dirty 3D render of a chest plate with your color scheme:

  9. CombatBaby's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,345
    May 3, 2006, 4:45 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #34

    WORD!

    Quote Count Dookie said:
    Well, I think it's great to have a few "zero-budget Fetts" on the board. By the end of the year, I'll probably have a couple thousand bucks invested in my costume. If I took the time to make more parts myself, and made a few compromises, I'd probably end up spending far less.

    It doesn't really matter if your armor is made of linoleum, cardboard, trash cans, etc. if you're happy with the result, and if you spend time on the small details, like weathering.

    Zurath, you could get a lot of mileage out of that armor if you weathered it a little. Maybe pick a secondary paint color to show through the scratches, and make some convincing battle damage. Here's a quick and dirty 3D render of a chest plate with your color scheme:

  10. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    May 3, 2006, 9:39 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #35

    Sweet!! But I"m putting the emblem on each my shoulder bells.
  11. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    May 30, 2006, 11:56 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #36

    MAJOR UPDATE!!!!!!

    I finally got it to look right. I had the main armor finished around the 6th, but I was too busy with school to post it. I repainted my rollerblade knees for my suit, and they look better than the first set. I have my visor in (black mesh, simialr to what the florida garrison uses in the RG helms). I left it in the box for this long, so the paint has some natural weathering with white showing through.
    without further ado, ZK V 1.5

    in order:
    1. I have yet to find a decent belt, so this will do for now. the armor was a little uneven, but it's late.

    2. The shmuck behind the mask. I'm sorry for the expression, but I finally realize how blasted hot these things get. Also, it appears that this fellow would be a great recruit for the "special forces" in the Empire.

    3. A better expression, "Dead or alive, it's still a hot suit in 90 degree weather."

    Well, I hope I didn't do too bad. The elastic snapped on one of my shins, but I tucked it into my sock.
    I know this isn't 501st quality, but I like it.
    Thank you for any/all comments, ZK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	10722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	1108 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	10723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	1092 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	10724  

    Last edited by Zurath Kodul; May 31, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
  12. formerly joNich
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    589
    May 31, 2006, 7:19 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #37

    Looking much better than the previous pictures.
  13. Christo Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    Posts
    250
    May 31, 2006, 8:41 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #38

    Not bad looking for such a low budget custom mando.

    My advice would be to lose the cape and fanny pack and raise up your shoulder bells. I think if you do those 3 things it will help you to look more menacing. Also, try to remember when you put on your costume you're no longer a teenage kid you are a Mandolorian! Puff out your chest and shoulders and give us more of a "tough guy" pose. Give it a shot and let's see more pics.
  14. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,944
    May 31, 2006, 10:28 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #39

    Well good job on a working temp siut so far. If you really dont want to use the linolium armor pieces, you can always do what I did, and make it out of a trash can. I was skeptical at first, but I went out to home depot, and bought a 32 gallon RubberMade Brute bucket. Works great for the armor pieces. The pieces are light, flexible (not too flexible) and just good. I mean Im using it to go play paintball, so I can assure you its a good material for a set of armor. Also, you mentioned that you put a SW:BH RF screen on yours, I woulf liike to see a picture of that. Its appears you have beat me to it then...

    -tubachris
  15. Andle Diranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    108
    May 31, 2006, 11:36 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #40

    but I finally realize how blasted hot these things get.
    Hehe, try wearing a Vader suit for about 4 hours...
  16. May 31, 2006, 1:31 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #41

    I think you should get rid of the ammo pouch thingy and get a smaller one.

    looks pretty nice.
  17. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    May 31, 2006, 3:39 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #42

    Quote Christo Fett said:
    My advice would be to lose the cape and fanny pack and raise up your shoulder bells. I think if you do those 3 things it will help you to look more menacing. Also, try to remember when you put on your costume you're no longer a teenage kid you are a Mandolorian! Puff out your chest and shoulders and give us more of a "tough guy" pose. Give it a shot and let's see more pics.
    I added the cape because I have no backplate. The fanny-pack will be replaced as soon as I can find a decent replacement. As for the bells, I'll work on that in the next set.

    Quote tubachris85x said:
    Also, you mentioned that you put a SW:BH RF screen on yours, I woulf liike to see a picture of that.
    Say no more, I will explain it all to you: I "borrowed" the image from a previous topic and took out the stuff I didn't want. I then shrank it down to a ver small size, cut a trimmed to fit the RF screen.

    I'll be sure to try to improve it over the course of the summer, wish me luck. ZK
  18. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,520
    May 31, 2006, 7:46 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #43

    Now you need to replace the T-Visor!
  19. Dillo2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    340
    Jun 7, 2006, 1:09 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #44

    how do the mandos in states like AZ and TX take the heat wile in costume. Im suprized they dont pass out.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    Aug 21, 2006, 4:01 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #45

    Quote Andle Diranos said: View Post
    Hehe, try wearing a Vader suit for about 4 hours...

    I got u beat, how about a predator costume out of furniture foam for 8 hours, longest thou was my trooper for 16 hours.
  21. Dak Jerek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    59
    Aug 22, 2006, 12:46 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #46

    Quote takevin said: View Post
    I got u beat, how about a predator costume out of furniture foam for 8 hours, longest thou was my trooper for 16 hours.
    16 hours without taking it off?! wow... i can barely do an hour in my royal guard without taking it off for a few minutes. that can't be healthy..



    as for your costume, zurath, i'd suggest at least working on the way your cape attaches. the tied strings look way too much like an off-the-shelf halloween costume. try making some sort of plastic or metal connector, or connecting directly to the shoulders of your armor. i like the full cape, it just needs tweaking.
  22. arctroopomega5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    221
    Aug 22, 2006, 1:38 AM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #47

    Quote Dak Jerek said: View Post
    16 hours without taking it off?! wow... i can barely do an hour in my royal guard without taking it off for a few minutes. that can't be healthy..



    as for your costume, zurath, i'd suggest at least working on the way your cape attaches. the tied strings look way too much like an off-the-shelf halloween costume. try making some sort of plastic or metal connector, or connecting directly to the shoulders of your armor. i like the full cape, it just needs tweaking.
    I agree, also I suggest ditching the saber. Remember, we mandos dislike jedi, yet respect them for being tough opponents. Even tho, we totally are cooler than them
  23. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    Sep 9, 2006, 10:38 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #48

    Well, I pictured this guy being more of an apprentice to a Sith, which would mean have some slight force powers and saber skills.

    I might retool the suit to give it black Westar 33's, a holster set similar to Jango, ditch the saber, but first thing to do is replace my f-ing visor.
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9
    Jan 9, 2007, 4:46 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #49

    For hot try a Tusken without fans.

    I melted the glue holding the wrappings together with my body heat

    16 HOURS? I lasted a mere 7 in my gunner (the fans had given out hours before that)



    Zurath Kodul, any new pictures?
  25. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,586
    Jan 9, 2007, 6:49 PM - Re: Zurath Kodul, the actual suit #50

    Quote Zurath Kodul said: View Post
    Well, I pictured this guy being more of an apprentice to a Sith, which would mean have some slight force powers and saber skills.

    I might retool the suit to give it black Westar 33's, a holster set similar to Jango, ditch the saber, but first thing to do is replace my f-ing visor.

    mando's hate force users..ditch the sith idea, and replace the helmet in general

Similar Threads

  1. actual TESB Ammo belt - leather or vinyl?
    By SPY007 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2010, 4:30 PM
  2. My ESB Suit So Far.....
    By HeadlessHunter in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan 23, 2010, 4:05 PM
  3. My ESB suit so far.
    By Light_Tech in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 12, 2007, 1:39 PM
  4. My suit
    By Mandalorian for Christ in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Nov 20, 2006, 11:44 AM
  5. My suit so far
    By Fettism in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug 17, 2005, 3:08 PM