Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 27, 2010, 9:25 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #51

o well gess ill have 2 go back 2 reading 40k
    Feb 27, 2010, 4:01 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #52

I was really pissed to see this...But I guess if it works better for her not to write anymore, then I will respect that. I am a huge Mando fan like all of you and I love what she has done for Mandalorian culture, etc. She is also a very nice writer, as I have liked quite a few star wars books(as I am a serious Star Wars Freak), but I do think hers were the best. It will still be sad to see her stop..
    Mar 25, 2010, 3:06 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #53

It's probably a lot different for a writer, but as a reader I don't get upset about canon and non-canon. Like the bumpersticker says, "I reject your reality and substitute my own." I tend to overlook minor things like non-canon I like more than the "official story", but hey--it could just be me. At least there's one more IC book...when I first heard about this I was under the impression that the story was ending at the end of IC #1 and that was....upsetting, to say the least.
    Apr 20, 2010, 6:49 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #54

Now I can understand why Karen has given up. Clone wars season 2 Episode 12 ( the mandalorians), was sooo very disapointing to watch.
    They have gone and changed everything the Mandos were supposed to be!
    Piece loving (spit) mandolorians just does not compute!
    And now, the only warriors left are the Death Watch!
    C'mon, who is writing this stuff?? Now all the Star Wars books from this point on all have masive flaws and mistakes in them!
    I wish she would just finish her books for us........ it's lonly without her!
    Apr 20, 2010, 7:40 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #55

M girlfriend refuses to read IC:501st for just that reason. She says she just can't bear to have anyone screw with her Omega " boys".
  6. Apr 20, 2010, 7:51 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #56

it is rediculous how much lucas is screwing everything up. I just plain and simpley put it this way, The Clone Wars cartoon is not cannon. It may be but I refuse to believe that it is because it goes against all the novelizations and Mandolorians, no matter how much they say they are, are not a peace loving race.
    Apr 20, 2010, 11:24 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #57

Yeah, peace-loving? How'd they get Jango Fett then? If he was such an odd-ball as compared to the rest of the Mandos I'd think the (oh gosh, can't spell it) Kamino-something-whatever-ians wouldn't have selected him to train the clones. *snicker* Or is that no longer cannon?
    Apr 21, 2010, 8:25 AM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #58

I must be on my own here, but I'm of the opinion - the more you expand the universe, the more you narrow it. For me, if it didn't happen in one of the films it didn't happen. Anything else is flavour and to be taken with a pinch of salt, cannon or not. There's too much in the Star Wrs universe, written by too many people to be consistant. I know it's all meant to be vetted and approved, clearly with the eagerness to create new material, this isn't happening.

Sadly it's a franchise, designed to make money.

For me Boba Fett is still being slowly digested in the Sarlacc

... and don't get me started on the special editions
    Apr 21, 2010, 10:37 AM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #59

I think we have to remember that it's George Lucas's universe... we just play dress up in it. I don't get wrapped up in cannon/ noncannon/ expanded universe stuff. If I like it I learn more about it if I don't I ignore it.

You must also remember that Clone Wars; while adults like it - like me, is meant to be enjoyed by a younger audience. Young kids probably don't read Republic Commando novels (although my kids see me reading it and will eventually read it too)

I loved the OT and and was reintroduced to Star Wars with the prequels. They are what they are. The prequels and Clone Wars are now how MY children will enjoy Star Wars. The way I see it, its keeping the story alive for a new generation of fans.
    Apr 22, 2010, 11:25 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #60

If I like it I learn more about it if I don't I ignore it.

Actually, that's a good way to look at life, too.
    Apr 23, 2010, 1:18 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #61

Quote Ghostsoldier said: View Post
    I don't blame her. That's part of the problem today, where people (costumers) don't (or can't) use their imaginations when interpreting what they read in the books...to me, that's part of the fun of making this stuff...actually, it s sort of "creative license", if you will....
    Rob
    Well said ner vod!! She cant give every little detail, we gotta come up with that ourselves, and if in a later book, she points somethin out, we can change it. Also, using ur imagination is great in this kind of stuff, like today i had an idea for some mando armor, like what if i painted the armor plates tie dye? might sound gay, but im guna test it out on a "rough draft" i guess u could call it. a
    Apr 25, 2010, 12:12 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #62

*snort* Tie Dye!!!! Oh my heavens.
    Sounds kinda like the pics from the 60s and 70s that parents hide from their kids to avoid giving them ideas. I didn't know that the Mandos had an equivalent thing. If you do it, you'd better post pics.
    Apr 25, 2010, 3:36 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #63

It really sucks that she recently said that 501st is gonna be her last Star wars book. Kinda dissapointed, she was by FAR my favorite SW author.
    Apr 26, 2010, 11:46 AM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #64

Quote DarmanSkirata said: View Post
    Also, using ur imagination is great in this kind of stuff, like today i had an idea for some mando armor, like what if i painted the armor plates tie dye? might sound gay, but im guna test it out on a "rough draft" i guess u could call it. a
    Ahh, great idea, Darman....that'll give the Custom Mando haters out there something to irritate the heck out of 'em!
    Rob
    Apr 28, 2010, 12:57 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #65

Well, seeing as you guys seem to like it, guess i'll start on the tie dye! only thing i didnt think about is how im going to paint it that way ...well, just so you know, its guna be made of cardboard, i saw a tutorial on youtube, and it looks pretty legit. i will post pics as soon as i can
    Apr 28, 2010, 2:42 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #66

Quote mandosoldier said: View Post
    It really sucks that she recently said that 501st is gonna be her last Star wars book. Kinda dissapointed, she was by FAR my favorite SW author.
    I didn't like her Legacy of the Force books much at all, but I really liked the Republic Commando ones. I just finished reading 501st and liked that a lot too. I wonder if someone else will pick up the stories of those characters, or if that universe is just dead now?
    Apr 28, 2010, 5:02 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #67

Yes this is very sad indeed!! i was really looking forward to reading how she ended the story....They were great books!!
    Apr 28, 2010, 6:32 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #68

I dont think anyone else should even THINK about continuing with those characters. She's the one who created them, and the stlye will be so different in the writing. also, has Kar'buir given a reason for stopping writing? im just curious...
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Apr 28, 2010, 9:23 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #69

Someone else is writing the second Imperial Commando book, we just don't know who yet.
    Apr 28, 2010, 10:25 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #70

If they continue at all, it would be best if one of the other writers she collaborated with in the Legacy of the Force series (Allston or Dennings) was the one to continue. They would probably have the best feel for her characterizations.
    Apr 29, 2010, 6:44 AM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #71

Someone farther up was commenting that there wasn't enough evidence of what Arc troopers look like for 501st. What about battlefront 1 ?!
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    May 29, 2010, 5:33 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #72

We should tag our armors with a KT to show our appreciation, and support for WARLIKE Mandalorians. It might be Lucas' universe, but we made characters in it. We can't rely on anyone else to fight for us afterall.
    May 29, 2010, 10:13 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #73

Maybe something as simple as hiding a "KT" somewhere in the weathering somewhere. Maybe hidden among the scratches. That way, it doesn't detract from the canon look at all but we know it's there.
    Jun 8, 2010, 11:12 AM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #74

I gave an interview during our troop on Comic Salon 14. last weekend. When asked what makes the fascination of Star Wars, I said thatwe greatly enjoy the movies for universe building and technical effects. With the Clone Wars series, it's a lot more simple, more for children. And that's why we are really looking forwards to more the graphic novels and books, since we especially enjoyed those by Karen Traviss. That we are saddened by her leave and would love somebody to pick up writing, preferably her.

I don't expect it to be published full length, but gotta grab every possibility to spread the word of our wishes.
  25. Jul 27, 2010, 3:48 PM - Re: A word from Karen Traviss... #75

Karen did such a wonderful job with the RC series, and its a shame that all this nonsense and whatnot is getting in the way on having her finish the last book, imperial commando 2, and its a shame that someone else is going to have to write, it, i have been saving the last chapter of my first imperial commando book until the release of the second book, but now that that isnt coming out, i guess i might as well read it now.