Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Oct 27, 2011, 1:31 AM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #26

Quick update. Got a chance to do the final prime on the Hasbro Bucket.

Still waiting on the bucket I ordered.

As for the gauntlets build up I have a few different shaped plastic bottles and containers that I am going to cut up and see how they look. Nothing is safe I have a few plastic liquor bottles, some different soap and shampoo bottles, and several different drink bottles. All of which I am going to cut up and play with the shapes. From their I will glass the final up. (I will have questions once I hit this stage as I am not sure of the best way to glass em).

My wife wants me to take my time on these and make em sick so we can have them displayed when I am done with them. So I will throttle back and make sure they rock.

My wife has locked down her final color scheme and I am excited to get ready to start painting her bucket. Her armor is is going to look similar to a Clone trooper. She wants it a base of white with green markings. So I plan to do her shoulders and colar in green as well as some markings down the chest and stomach.

All of her soft gear will be black so I will also pick out some parts of her bucket in black as well. Most likely the cheaks and the ear pieces.

For the trash can plates when you cut them out I have seen people post that they "snap the armor to get a clean line"? What does this mean? Do you score the entire out line and than bend it till it snaps or do you do some thing else?

Anyone know the best way to get a blue tint on the visor?

Cheers,
    Robert

Thanks for all of the encouragement.
    Oct 27, 2011, 7:24 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #27

i think that is what they mean by snapping, atleast thats what it sounds like to me haha. thanks for the help on the gauntlets, how much does fiberglassing them cost/whats the difficulty level with that?
    Oct 27, 2011, 9:42 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #28

DarksonDesigns said: View Post
    No new pics yet. I have been busy doing stuff for the military. Darn work getting in the way of fun again.
    I know the feeling! Working for Uncle Sam has dragged my kit out to the 2 year mark... and my wife's kit too since she won't work on it if I don't! lol You're going along the right route dude and it looks like you're pretty squared away. I did the trashcan plates as well, and the biggest thing I found to help out was to actually trace the plates, cut 'em out a little bit outside of the stencil and then I used a dremel with a sander bit on low power to trim the edges. The heat generated by the sander actually caused the edges to round instead of flatten, giving it a bit of a thicker appearance. add to that multiple layers of paint and my plates actually look REALLY thick and they're light as a feather.
  4. Oct 29, 2011, 5:49 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #29

What are the feelings about Flat/Mat paint vs Satin paint? One better than the other for a final look?
  5. Oct 29, 2011, 6:54 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #30

Small update. I got a chance to do the silver base on the bucket as well as some mask battle damage and black.

Silver base:

Mask and Black layer:

Cheers,
    Robert
  6. Oct 29, 2011, 8:34 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #31

Got a bit more done tonight. Added more mask to some areas and taped off areas that will stay black. Than did a round of white.

More mask and taped:

White layer:

Need to find the green in my airbrush colors and than tape it some more.

Cheers,
    Robert
    Oct 30, 2011, 9:05 AM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #32

For the most part, whether or not your paint is shiny or flat (or in between) is really personal preference. I went shiny.

The bucket is looking great, keep up the good work.
    Oct 30, 2011, 3:07 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #33

is that helmet for your son's fett or your own costume? kinda dumb question i know but your putting alot of work into a kids possible bucket so i wasnt sure
  9. Oct 30, 2011, 3:55 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #34

It is for my wife but I will make the padding so I can pull it out and put some in so my son can use it as well.
    Oct 30, 2011, 7:30 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #35

Eh... as far as paint goes like Ord'ika said, it's all about what the individual wants. I used satin paints to give it a military look, but still retain some sheen. Because while flat paint is better for real military, the costuming world seems to run better with sheen and shine.
  11. Oct 30, 2011, 10:36 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #36

I hit it with a satin white, than did a final (I hope) light sand, followed b more satin white. I will mask off the green in the morning and get out the air brush for the final go. Than I will weather the hell out of it.
  12. Oct 31, 2011, 5:31 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #37

Masked off this morning for my final assualt with the rattle can.

13. Oct 31, 2011, 6:57 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #38

Here is a quick teaser pic to see how the colors are working together.

14. Oct 31, 2011, 7:41 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #39

Tape has been removed and it is time to start weathering.

Oct 31, 2011, 8:55 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #40

LoL, I love how "fancy" those last two photos are, coolio frame and all. Nicely done on the paint job. Can't wait for weathering!
    Oct 31, 2011, 9:31 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #41

I like the pinstripping ya got there, never seen it doen before, good work!
    Nov 1, 2011, 9:46 AM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #42

not bad at all. Looks pretty good actually, u have a talent for paint.
  18. Nov 1, 2011, 4:34 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #43

Thanks everyone. This is a lot of fun and good practice for when my bucket arrives.

I picked up one of the above toilet brush holders and am going to dive into my first gauntlet. If it seems to be working out I will go pick up a second one to finish off the pair.

I have also been doing a bit of looking around as to what I should do for the interiors of the family's buckets? I am thinking of making a paper template, than doing some electronics and pads, and than casting them in a rubber or a foam material.

Anyone have any ideas about what type of material that foam/rubber is called? I have some rubber to make a mold I just don't know what would be good for the final cast that would be soft?

Cheers,
    Robert
  19. Nov 2, 2011, 3:53 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #44

Very excited today my bucket showed up on my door step.

Here is a pic on it with its new best friend Bondo. I think they are going to be spending a lot of time together.

It's going to be some serious work to get this into shap. I plan on adding sone strength to the inside and cleaning up the tops as it is a bit on the lumpy side.

Cheers,
    Robert
    Nov 2, 2011, 7:42 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #45

hey so i can planely see that you used car bondo to cover the helmet but im wondering what sorta stuff you use to strengthen the
    inside. o and what company did you get your bucket from cause the only one iv seen thats in my price range is from rubies or a private seller.
  21. Nov 2, 2011, 8:02 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #46

I am going to use fiberglass and cloth on the inside. This bucket is going to take a bit of work but I am very excited to dive in and get dirty.
    Nov 2, 2011, 8:44 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #47

Glassing is pretty fun as long as you don't get any on your arms, LoL (I speak from painful experience). That's a really good looking bucket!
  23. Nov 2, 2011, 9:13 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #48

The top was a bit bumpy so I am going to have some fun filling and sanding. But it's ok I need the pratice on blending what I fix with the actual helmet.

I'm getting ready to break out the hair dryer for some reshaping.

Cheers,
    Robert
  24. Nov 2, 2011, 9:47 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #49

Got a chance to reshape the back a bit and did my first pass of bondo so it can dry over night. I will attack it in the morning with some sand paper and work on more clean up with the dremal.

Cheers,
    Robert
  25. Nov 4, 2011, 4:52 PM - Re: WIP: Two New Mandos #50

I wanted to do a plate check to make sure they are the proper size for me?