Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 14, 2007, 10:33 PM - Walon Vau #1

I've not been on for a while but I've got a new variant for you. The hardest parts are over with just some ongoing never ending tweaking. For those of you who read the republic commando series, I've brought one of the characters to life with a lot of input from the creator Karen Traviss I've done nothing Karen hasn't approved.
    Like I said It's not but 85% finished I'm making custom gauntlets I'm going with different boots plus boot armor (no laces). Well enough stalling, meet Walon Vau. I'm still working on the strill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3.JPG 
Views:	1615 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	21371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4.JPG 
Views:	1506 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	21372  
  2. formerly Sgt. Skirata Huntman's Avatar
    Nov 14, 2007, 11:07 PM - Re: Walon Vau #2

cool I am working on a sgt. skirata costume maybe someday we will be at the same con
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Nov 14, 2007, 11:10 PM - Re: Walon Vau #3

Nice! One thing, however: Vau's armor is all black.

Looks awesome otherwise!
    Nov 15, 2007, 1:48 AM - Re: Walon Vau #4

Kandosii, ner vod. Bard'ika approves.

Nov 15, 2007, 6:38 AM - Re: Walon Vau #5

Really good, but I concur with Enyc - it's described as being black; Omega Squad black. The T-visor still leaves for imagination and additional things, so stick to the colour you are using ;-)

Looks really good
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Nov 15, 2007, 7:37 AM - Re: Walon Vau #6

Looks awesome vod! You've done a great job so far.
    Nov 15, 2007, 4:48 PM - Re: Walon Vau #7

Looking good.
    Nov 15, 2007, 5:51 PM - Re: Walon Vau #8

So you're the one from Bloodfin I've been looking for?
    Nov 17, 2007, 12:17 AM - Re: Walon Vau #9

Well more updates for yall. These were taken about five min. ago, so fresh from my living room to you. I've added some simple gauntlets one with a data pad that we're always hearing about. A pistol that used to be a toy thats been modified. and Rock climbing shoes with leather east German army gaiters.
    On some of the comments...
    1.Yes I would love to hook up at a con (with two squads of commandos ideally)
    2. In my contact with Karen she recommended the bronze accents on the armor. The paint is actually textured to look like hammered bronze. (her idea)
    3. Yes I'm the one from Bloodfin. Wha'cha needin'?

Once again let me know what you think.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/20961763@N03/
    Nov 17, 2007, 12:23 AM - Re: Walon Vau #10

Well more updates for yall. These were taken about five min. ago, so fresh from my living room to you. I've added some simple gauntlets one with a data pad that we're always hearing about. A pistol that used to be a toy thats been modified. and Rock climbing shoes with leather east German army gaiters.
    On some of the comments...
    1.Yes I would love to hook up at a con (with two squads of commandos ideally)
    2. In my contact with Karen she recommended the bronze accents on the armor. The paint is actually textured to look like hammered bronze. (her idea)
    3. Yes I'm the one from Bloodfin. Wha'cha needin'?

Once again let me know what you think.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/20961763@N03/
    Nov 17, 2007, 10:19 AM - Re: Walon Vau #11

Excellent, I love the brass color on the visor, it looks so sharp....The design over all is awsome.
    Nov 17, 2007, 12:32 PM - Re: Walon Vau #12

Really good, must have been the lighting in daylight... it's truly black in proper.

Great work!
    Nov 17, 2007, 3:17 PM - Re: Walon Vau #13

I was looking for those pics you just so wonderfully provided... I'll send you a PM asking for more details on that. I've been looking to make a Vau as well.
    Nov 17, 2007, 6:22 PM - Re: Walon Vau #14

I'm loving it. I can just picture how great it would be at Celebration V to see Kal and Omega, Vau and Delta, Bardan, Etain, and the Nulls all together.
    Nov 17, 2007, 8:51 PM - Re: Walon Vau #15

i'm also a fan of the republic commando book series, walon vau looks pretty good
    Nov 17, 2007, 9:48 PM - Re: Walon Vau #16

ShatirLavan, watch for it. The Mercs from FL might have something for you... Ohl'd as Kal, me as Vau, Xeryx as Mereel, and we'll see who else we can pull in. Might even be able to get my fiance to do Etain... Dunno how likely that is, though.
    Nov 23, 2007, 8:19 PM - Re: Walon Vau #17

Looking Great so far! Did karen approve the red Detailing on the Bucket? All I can find so far is that Vau's armor was completely matt black?
    Nov 24, 2007, 2:00 AM - Re: Walon Vau #18

Quote tb2849 said: View Post
    Not only did Kar'buir approve, it was her idea.
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Nov 24, 2007, 8:18 AM - Re: Walon Vau #19

The bronze I believe is supposed to represent a version of Beskar (Mandalorian iron) that was produced in a certain part of the planet Mandalore. Ray Ramirez and I had a short convro about this one time concerning how Karen had been talking about differing armor production methods that would color Beskar differently. That is probably why she suggested the hand hammered bronze color IMHO.

Novall "Beskar'lovik" Talon
    Nov 24, 2007, 10:58 AM - Re: Walon Vau #20

I gotta say this looks really great. I love the belts your using, especially the blue one, what in the world was that originally? Either way, much respect- I don't know the character, but I plan on reading the republic commando books after I finish the one I'm on now.

Great work!
    Nov 24, 2007, 6:52 PM - Re: Walon Vau #21

Great suit! You too Bardika
    Nov 29, 2007, 8:12 PM - Re: Walon Vau #22

Quote hellopike said: View Post
    I gotta say this looks really great. I love the belts your using, especially the blue one, what in the world was that originally? Either way, much respect- I don't know the character, but I plan on reading the republic commando books after I finish the one I'm on now.

Great work!
    The blueish belt is a swiss military motorcycle belt. It was originally gray , but has since been dyed black. Obviously I need to apply a few more coats. The second belt is a leather shotgun bandoleer. If you can see the under belt close enough It's been chewed up a little by Mird (aka my dog Buster).
    Nov 29, 2007, 9:43 PM - Re: Walon Vau #23

I dunno if its 100% accurate, but I like the motorcycle belt as a dark blue- It gives the costume some depth that I think would be lost if it were 100% black, but all the while being dark enough to fit in with the black and not draw the eye directly to it.

Phil
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Nov 30, 2007, 7:52 PM - Re: Walon Vau #24

The costume looks great dude!!!!
    Mar 10, 2008, 3:16 PM - Re: Walon Vau #25

Great job!!!

Thanks the goddes i saw this thread man!!! hahahaha

iīm working in a Walon Vau and since Miss Traviss description was so vague i decided to painted with two tones of gray on the faceplate and, funny enough, bronze details.

this was the finished result

i guess Iīll just go with a generic black, special ops mando.

Iīll add the poncho/cape on the left shoulder and a black Kama (skirt) to the bundle.

a verpine shatter gun on a holster on the left thigh and a Verpine sniper rifle as main weapon.

anyway...going back to topic, great job really, i like the clean cut armor style.

I do think you still need to work a bit on the hardness of the vest to stop the armor plates on the chest and belly to overlap.

i would also adda fer more scratches on the armor pieces, specially the helmet... but hey!..thatīs juust me haha. pay no mind really!

kudos on having comms with Miss traviss!!! thatīs a great thing to have when doing an armor such as this one!!!

is that rifle a Verpine?? if so....what did Karen Traviss said about it? dod she liked it?