TH-17A Elite War Medic Helmet (WIP)

TH-17A Elite War Medic Helmet (WIP)

[FONT=Verdana]Hello,I thought I was at a point where I would be brave and share my first try at a helmet build. The helmet is an attempt to make a replica of a TH-17A EWM Merc helmet from the game SWTOR.

Before I started, I looked at all the great stuff done right here. I came across one of Skirata's Legacy helmets and in fact, it was pretty much the whole inside of the helmet I was going to try and make.

Here is the idea from Star Wars The Old Republic

[/FONT]

screenshot_2012-08-23_21_34_40_624711-jpgscreenshot_2012-08-23_21_34_48_961188-jpg

Here is the Skirata Helmet. Very nice cast.

dsc02153-jpg

First mistake. I started with 1/4" plexigass. I read about Sintra later. It was hard to cut and hard to shape but I tried anyways. Here are the pieces cut out.

dsc02154-jpg

Attaching the plexi to start shaping.

dsc02157-jpgdsc02161-jpg

On the helmet and [FONT=Verdana]premiered.
    [/FONT]
    dsc02163-jpgdsc02181-jpg

Where I am at today. I still have to add a real visor, LED's, padding and vents to the black spots on the sides. It has to be weathered a bit more also.

dsc02182-jpgdsc02184-jpg

[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]So, here it is. Any ideas, comments, criticism’s arewelcome. I have never tried anything like this but enjoyed it very much. If itturns out and if there is any interest, I will share more pictures as I go.

Paul[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    Last edited by Lazerblade; Sep 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM.

Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    From
    Yucca Valley

Re: TH-17A Elite War Medic Helmet (WIP)

That looks great!

Wow! Lots of looks but no advice? Thanks A'den for the compliment. I must now commit Seppuku 切腹

LOL.

Paul

No advice because you doing a great job.Here's some advice, keep up the good work and make me one

EagleEye said: View Post
    No advice because you doing a great job.Here's some advice, keep up the good work and make me one
    Wow! Thanks.

A slight update. I sanded down the sides (just enough for paint and photo's) and added the vents. Nothing is permenent yet, the mandibles and armor are just stickied on. It still needs a lot of fine tuning, a real visor, LED's, and real vents on the sides.

Paul

From
    Northeastern Mass

Excellent work! I am glad to finally see some other people attempt a swtor helmet. Truly fantastic!

From
    Maryland, USA

Looks awesome!

Worked on the helmet again. Made filters for the side holes and tightened up the external armor. Also, a blue visor. Nothing is permanent yet so the side filters are not flush yet. It needs to be re-painted again. Here are some shots.

Paul

From
    Frederick, United States

drool! Very nice work my friend. It makes me want to run home and play my Bounty Hunter on SWTOR- mission accomplished.

I have made more changes to it and will post new pictures very soon. Also started a new helmet.

From
    Marietta, Ga

Never played TOR but looks cool! Glad you're not content with "okay" looking. Go for perfect

From
    Humboldt, Saskatchewan, Canada

BobaFiend said: View Post
    Never played TOR but looks cool! Glad you're not content with "okay" looking. Go for perfect
    I told you could of played on my account when we were at cvi but someone was too busy doing homework =p

btw looks epic

C

Latest update on TOR Merc helmet.
    Here it is next to one of my new projects. For some reason, it looks fatter than it really is. Maybe because I am so close to it with the camera

Last nights picture. Its fuzzy but you get the idea.

Here it is next to another TOR project that I will be working on.

And for fun:

Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Wow! Looks amazing! Your helmet is the reason i decided to start making my own - you really did a great job!!

What if you put a layer of clear coat to make it shiny like it is in the game?

Question - how did you even start this? Where can i get materials and how did you carve out the details??
    Last edited by Anija11; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: more info

I used the game pictures from my character and did screen shots from all sides. Then I bought one of Skiratas "legacy helmets" to start with. I basically sanded down most of the outside details. Then, I bought a huge sheet of Plexiglas to start with. I covered the helmet with paper and cut out the design to make templates for the outside armor. Then I cut the armor out of the Plexiglas. This was a trial and error job. once I had the pieces cut out, I began experimenting with the heat gun. I covered the inside helmet with tin foil to reflect the heat back and with welding gloves began to shape the pieces around the helmet.

This was my first project and I learned so many things doing it. So, that is basically how I made it.

Paul

Just a little update. I have not finished the TH-17A yet because I was sidetracked by my Havoc Trooper armor but wanted to share what I have done. As you know, the Merc helmet was my first attempt at making anything and I used what you all tought me on that to make the Havoc.

I plan to make a whole set of armor for the TOR Merc helmet but I don't have the skills yet.

Paul

From
    Colorado

I love mocking up lids. That looks amazing!!!

Gonna start the armor for the Elite War Medic helmet.