Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Starting my first Mando today

From
    If there is a bright center to the universe, i live in the place farthest from..

Re: Starting my first Mando today

It is currently drawn to about the chest. When i start adding in more details i will finish the rest of it.

Last edited by Alpha-2; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

From
    If there is a bright center to the universe, i live in the place farthest from..

From

There will be more to come

those cheekbone parts go IN not OUT as you have them there.

ya for the cheekbones they will have to be bent a little bit to give the right indentation for the helmet so they won't be too long.

From

Ya i had them bent in when i started putting it together but tapeing on the back was tricky and i guess i pushed it back out.

From

Does anyone have any ideas for an emblem that i can use on my mando. (Im planning it all out and drawing it on my mando sketch.)
    Last edited by Alpha-2; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

well are you using card stock (110lb paper)?

you should be using glue not tape. tape has a tendency to do weird things when it comes in contact with resin.

the logo design is up to you. do something local, or merge several pre existing logos. bobas was specific to him. so make some thing specific to you, like a family crest but not as ornate. use a square, triangle or circle as the basic field and add a few smaller gif or pics in it.

From

O im not making my mando out of it
    Im just cutting out the templates and taping them together to see how it will look when i cut out my pieces.

And i will start working on that logo

OOOOOOOOOOOOH!

got it

From

Ive considered using Sintra PVC Foam Board for my armor. can anyone tell me if this is a good or bad idea.

Thanks
    Last edited by Alpha-2; Jul 17, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

well i use sintra for other things, but its not very sturdy, but it depends on the thickness. id go with thicker. use ABS when you can its stronger in the end.

however youll have to use a heat gun to warp/melt the plastic into proper form. this is why i think metal is easier to work with. also cheaper

From

Well i don't think im going to use it for anything rough so im cosidering Antmans way CARDBOARD. Im really liking that idea since i don't have too much money to work with.

I am finishing the drawing right now, and browsing other threads. Any other tips anyone could give me that would keep me from making stupid mistakes would be awesome.

I expect to start my helmet in at least a week (Taking my time so i get everything i need for my helmet)

Thanks

Levi

From

Progress UPDATE:

Finishing Mando Sketch

Looking for materials

Creating my mandalorian story

Browsing TDH for any final things i might need to know when building my Bucket

Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    From
    Yucca Valley

if you have a membership on mercs, you should check these threads...

helmet info: http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/ind...?topic=13291.0
    armor info: http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=1396.0
    softs: http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php

tdh is an awesome site! and there's lots of usefull info i never could have built any of y kits without. however, if custom mando is your goal, mando mercs is the place to be. i'm on both regularly!

From

Thanks A'den
    I checked out those threads and WOW that gave me ideas
    I am feeling more confident and now im just trying to choose which material to make my bucket out of.

If anyone could tell me the cheapest possible way to make a sturdy bucket i would be in your debt

From
    Yucca Valley

i've never made a scratchbuild helmet. but, the most successful ones ive seen were made from any material... poster board, cardboard, plastic for sale signs etc. the material wasnt that important. the fact that the interior and exterior were fiberglassed is what made them strong helmets.

once the exterior is smoothed, bondo or body filler putty is generally used to fill and unlevel spots or too make edges sharp then sanded again.

bocus jai built a scratchbuild helmet around christmas time with a bike helmet and 3mm sintra. it turned out quite nice.

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Scratch built is the way to go! I start with posterboard, then fiberglass it, then bondoglass the outside, sand that all smooth, then reinforce the inside with 3mm sintra. VERY strong helmet at the end. Check out my TOR mando helmet build:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=32511

You can use the same process on a normal Fett style helmet as well. Works great. That lid there is my 6th helmet, and I have never had any of them break or even crack. And most have seen plenty of punishment.

Good luck!

A'den

well the cheapest way is to buy the jango 2 pc helmet on ebay. cost about 25 bucks.
    with a bit of work that costs nothing, its looks better than my jango vinyl 1 pc.

thats def. cheaper than buying cans of resin and fiberglass to glass over your cardboard sculpture.

From
    Minnesnowta

bh-7603 said: View Post
    well the cheapest way is to buy the jango 2 pc helmet on ebay. cost about 25 bucks.
    with a bit of work that costs nothing, its looks better than my jango vinyl 1 pc.

thats def. cheaper than buying cans of resin and fiberglass to glass over your cardboard sculpture.
    I bought resin, liquid hardener and 8 sq. feet of cloth for 15 bucks.

But I had a don post helmet to put it on. You would be better getting a rubies 2 pc or something similar to save time and then glass the inside if you so wish.

From
    Yucca Valley

If you're going to scratchbuild, use the WOF templates and get a 1:1 movie sized helmet. If you use a Rubies 1 or 2 piece as a base, you end up with a smakker than 1:1 size helmet.

Or, buy a Mystery Helmet from Sgt. Fang. They're about $140.00 shipped. You just have to save your penney's.

the 1 and 2 pc fit people under 5'10" nicely....

the MSH are way to big for me. i'm 5'7. the 2pc is too big for several people i know. but they're 5'6

From

Wow u guys are great! Thanks a million!
    You guys have given me a bunch of options and i appreciate it, EXTREMELY!

Im gonna start looking for the things ill need.
    Since ill probably be shoping in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan ill have to see what i can get there. (Will probably find everything ) Weve got places like Walmart, Cosco well pretty much all your basic stores

Ill get back to you guys as soon as possible with updates

Oh and I want to give a big shout out to all you guys who keep checking out my thread! Without you guys i'd be going nowhere! Helmets off to you my friends!

From

A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    Scratch built is the way to go! I start with posterboard, then fiberglass it, then bondoglass the outside, sand that all smooth, then reinforce the inside with 3mm sintra. VERY strong helmet at the end. Check out my TOR mando helmet build:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=32511

You can use the same process on a normal Fett style helmet as well. Works great. That lid there is my 6th helmet, and I have never had any of them break or even crack. And most have seen plenty of punishment.

Good luck!

A'den
    I really like this way. I think its somthing i could do!
    Josh if your reading this could you please PM me with exactly how you did this.
    That would be great!!!

its a CHORE AND A HALF BUT ITS A LONG PROCESS TO BOOT AND MESSY.

but rewarding when youre done!