Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 18, 2011, 8:12 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #26

comming along nicely.......cant wait to see finished product.
    May 19, 2011, 3:33 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #27

I like this armour for that very reason Less pin up more functional (a lot of armour makers can tell you why it's not a good idea to have a concave in the middle of the chest plate.)

And the next exciting stage. Bogging.

I managed to find a source for good fairing powder (it's still fumed silica but doesn't blow about too badly) and mixed up a nice thick paste and smoothed that on the legs and front of the chest armour. I need to attack it with a sander of course but it is slowly building up.

I still have to take my antihistamines before work and a break of a few days between so it's going to be a bit of a slow progress It may wind up the last armour project I do which is incredibly frustrating to say the least.
    May 19, 2011, 6:00 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #28

just out of curiosity, why don't you fiberglass the inside, then use bondo to fill it?
    May 19, 2011, 8:22 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #29

I'm not sure what you mean- the previous photo post shows that I did FG the back. That's what I need to cut out once the top layer is all smoothed. I wasn't intending on using the second layer of card, it's wound up changing plans a bit.

As for not using Bondo- it's too soft and brittle for lasting wear. Good for making a master to mold from but it's way too soft for real wear over time. Using fairing powder and resin is much stronger. It doesn't go off so quickly either so you have more working time. It's still faster that plain resin. it'll take longer to sand but it would take more money, time and room to make molds to cast in.
    Also I'm using epoxy resin as it is more flexible than polyester. Easier to get proportions right too as it is a 1:4 mixing ratio. And doesn't stink so badly either.

I got interrupted while getting the paste on. I wanted it a bit smoother but ah well. Next layer will be smoothed with a silicon spatula when I find it again.

And having a boat builder (actually super yacht builder) in the family means I got a lot of information on safety and good practice before I even bought my first lot of resin .
    Jun 7, 2011, 5:34 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #30

I have finally bought a mouse (droid) sander after a year or more of checking them out. I think the local hardware stores were getting annoyed with me going around lifting all the detail sanders and waving them about. In the end I have the cheapest Predator (grr argh) which is so budget it has no fan to suck away the dust. But it was that or by what would be a paper weight as I wouldn't be able to use it

So in one evening I have got the greaves nice and smooth and almost even. And got to work on the chest plate:

Greaves. one side bogged the other sanded back. I kept the bog fairly smooth by spreading it on with a silicon spatula. That thing is never going near the kitchen again obviously... I also mix my resin with a silicon pasty brush. I let the resin cure and pull the brush out of it after. It leaves little tunnels in the resin. It saves on buying new mixing tools and reduces landfill. I have horrible guilt issues over the waste in this process. I even reuse the same plastic container where I can. If excess cured resin could be reused I'd be all on it.

Chest plate sanded back. I may have to give it a spray of paint just to see where the dimples are. But she is starting to look nice and crisp again

Greaves fully sanded. Well as far as the mouse could go. I kept hitting the on/off switch when trying to sand the inners. Please ignore the bloomers and vest. There are for my Steampunk outfit (at last- it's been unfinished for two years) and I just needed something to hold the chest plate in place. It stays in place with friction, but when worn I will have clasps on the sides.

Also the PVC piping is so easy to mold and work with. It's a lot less prone to scratching than foamed PVC (Sintra et al) and less prone to warping like styrene. I really like it. But I know from building my Vibro Axe I will need to get a good primer on before painting or it will chip off easily.
    Now that the basic panels are shaped I can trim them to fit properly. Still one or two spots where I need to curve it a little more.

I've also heat shaped the shoulders of the chest piece to fit more closely.

Still debating on the greaves. I think I will keep the fibreglassed pieces as a base to sculpt/mold from in the future as I want to upgrade my Mara and I have some other projects I'd like to work on too And my Mannequin is too alienly shaped to be terribly helpful as is.
  6. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 16, 2011, 9:07 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #31

What ever happend with the bucket? How did you plan to make the visor as its VERY curved been throwing the idea of building this also for my wife, she not a big fan of the heavily padded mando we all know
  7. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 16, 2011, 9:11 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #32

Another question the Pep files did u make them or are they available for DL somewhere? Thanks
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Aug 13, 2011, 11:14 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #33

This project is looking great, can't wait to see the final results.
  9. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Aug 14, 2011, 8:59 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #34

theres more photos posted on the RPF
    Aug 14, 2011, 12:31 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #35

Great work! Keep it up.
  11. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Aug 22, 2011, 10:45 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #36

Can't wait to see this finished
    Aug 22, 2011, 5:07 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #37

This is looking awesome so far! I can't wait to see the finished version. I'm sure it will look great.
  13. Member Since
    May 2009
    Sep 6, 2011, 5:28 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #38

lookin pretty good... my gf wants to do this costume as well..
    Sep 6, 2011, 4:28 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #39

One thing I'll mention to you is that when painting PVC pipe you can "flash" it with acetone and it will stick a lot better.
    Sep 15, 2011, 6:13 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #40

Thanks for the tip catal I will definitely be using that as I have a fair few bits of PVC on this project!

Sorry I haven't replied to everyone until now I had to reformant my netbook twice (I think the first try created an additional problem) which left me a little behind on my communication

Progress is happening In fact I have a spot of dust up my nose and in my clothes from sanding today The helmet is still in the mold as I kind of messed up the fg jacket so I need to sand it back and get it fixed up.

I have many of the smaller parts modeled and molded, first set of casting are curing over night. I am on three types of antihistamines to be able to work with the stuff, so I'm hoping this project is worth it

A few more goes with bogging and sanding before I can start to cut the details into the chest armour. The back plate needs another layer of fg inside.

I templated the shoulder bells yesterday and have got the first layer of resin on tonight.

FG cloth is so much easier to work with than matting so I'm going to have to order some more very soon.

The base shape of the flame thrower for the gauntlet was roughly modeled yesterday as well. Currently covered in silicon and tomorrow I will get a cast from that to smooth up and get a final mold from.
    Mini rocket launchers are a littler harder to model but I think I have a cunning plan...

Oh and how awesome is PVC weld type glue! I have some that is red tinted, it was on sale so now I wish I'd bought more.... Wish I'd used it from the start on my jetpack...

Oh and all patterns are created by me. Nothng ripped from anywhere or modeled digitally. It is sort of better sort of harder this way. So some pieces are resined card some are layers of plastic laminated and carved to shape and some are sculpted from clay.
    Oct 11, 2011, 10:05 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #41

Wow, I have neglected this thread. I blame it on my epic fail with my netbook (reinstalled the OS twice.. well three times, i think the final time did the trick though) and being too tired to fix all the issues that cropped up (logins and links and all that).

So. I have just worked on my jetpack today and found a great rig explanation here for Jango. It won't work as is for Shae as her armour is cropped and the bodysuit/flight suit is too tight to allow for strapping to be worn underneath and not show.
    But it's definitely got me thinking

Sorry it's a photo dump, I'm really starting to flag in terms of energy so I'm about to have lunch and warm up. But basically lots of bits done, lots of bits to go. As is probably not wholy unexpected
    Oct 13, 2011, 7:02 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #42

Progress looks good!
    Nov 3, 2011, 3:54 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #43

Thank you And sorry for the delay in replying. I hate bumping without an update and I have been flat tack trying to do many thigns at once.

mdb costumes
    I'm throwing all the convention photos up here, as well as all the pretty pictures taken by photographers with pretty pretty cameras
    Nov 3, 2011, 4:44 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #44

Just saw your update on the Mercs site. LOVE it! You did a great job.
    Nov 3, 2011, 10:35 PM - #45

Not bad not bad at all I wish I was at that point
  21. Nov 7, 2011, 3:09 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #46

Querrida Michæla,

Such dedication interwoven with your skill is destined for mythical result.
    Your current suit, and indeed all the steps leading to this is organically artful.

I bow in reverence.
    Blessed be.
    Nov 15, 2011, 12:58 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #47

Where did you learn all of these different techniques? Awesome work.
    Nov 16, 2011, 11:21 AM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #48

How exactly do you weld styrene?
    Dec 27, 2011, 4:27 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #49

Thank you all for your interest. My apologies for not replyng sooner, I have had a spot of burn out as it was a very busy end of year. I built a lightsaber, rebuilt Shaak Ti and have a few events where I got exhausted making sure kids had a great time

And there are a few commissions on my plate to keep me busy!

So I have not updated here with the photos of the full costume:

I spent so long on the proportions of this thing so when Ben Wooten complimented me on the proportions of my helmet I was stoked So happy. Shae's helmet sits above the base of the skull at the back and around the jawline at the front. basically my nose is a little squished and the helmet cannot be worn without the full balaclava. You can see this in the cinematic and model renders quite clearly.
    Dec 28, 2011, 4:59 PM - Re: Shae Vizla, SWTOR #50

Very impressive. Inspires me to comlete my armor.