Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 3, 2008, 11:33 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #51

Yeah, they're very cheap. I'm considering doing the same thing with the holsters, wrapping the vinyl fabric around it. I'll play around with it, see what I can come up with.

As far as the pistols go, yes I plan on customizing them. A desert mando can't use basic Jango pistols. :-P
    Jan 5, 2008, 8:30 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #52

I couldn't sleep tonight, so I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning working on my blaster. I've decided to only use one pistol, the other one is going to give it's life to my left gauntlet. That'll come later.

First step was to take it apart, remove the electronics, fill the inside with wood filler putty, and glue the whole thing back together. Once the glue was dried, I sanded the seams down smooth so they won't show when I re-paint it. This gave it some heft and sturdiness, and now it feels much less like a cheap plastic piece of ****.

Next came the barrel modifications. I cut some strips of 1/8" plastic (thank you, Sterilite trash can) and made several "vanes" down the length of the barrel, similar to Boba Fett's blaster.

While thinking of what else I could do to modify it, with my budget and all, I discovered that an empty tube of epoxy putty works wonderfully as a scope. I mocked it up to see what it would look like - perfect. I'll most likely end up using the epoxy putty that came in the tube to make the mount for it. The piece it's mounted to used to un-screw for two AA batteries. It's since been glued on solid.

Amazingly, that took about three hours of work. I didn't think it was going to take that long, and that was just the basic stuff. I'd estimate that I've put in over 100 hours into my helmet, armor, gauntlets, and now weapons... and I've got nothing completed. I need to make a priority list or something. :-P
    Jan 5, 2008, 9:08 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #53

Looks really great all of it Sam. I'm following along with each update! You've spend 100 hours, but it shows in the craftsmanship.

Phil
    Jan 5, 2008, 4:31 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #54

Thanks alot for the kind words, man. I definitely try my best with what I've got to work with. :-)
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 5, 2008, 6:15 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #55

Lookin good there!
    Jan 5, 2008, 9:39 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #56

So today I got a little more motivated than usual to work on my stuff, so I ran to the hardware store with a head full of ideas, and went on a small shopping spree. $60 later, I came home with lots of goodies, including a new glue gun, having burnt my other one out.

Got some hinges for my gauntlets, a 6' length of kitchen sink hose, some PVC pipes, a garden hose attachment (missile tip!), more hardening cream, super glue, epoxy putty, and a copper pipe for my flame thrower nozzles.

The long thin PVC tube that I got has ends that are threaded perfectly for the kitchen sink hose, so I cut the ends off, and got to work setting those up for the rear end of the flame thrower housing.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I use hot glue to hold the PVC in place, and then epoxy putty to make the whole thing solid, and keep the tubes from trying to twist when I screw on the hoses.

When that was finished, I did mostly the same thing for the front end of the flame thrower, cutting the copper tube in half, and making a bracket for it.

Here's my thoughts about the custom missile. I got a long, thicker PVC tube that fits the diameter of the garden hose fitting. It fits into the cradle on the gauntlet perfectly. I'll smooth out the exposed threads, and add the vanes that are on the normal missile, similarly to how I added them to my blaster.

For the blaster itself, I got a shorter tube the same diameter as the one for the rocket, and it fits the length and size of the epoxy putty tube I've already got on the blaster. I'm fitting it inside, which will make that very sturdy, and I'll also have a hollow scope, instead of just filling it like I had originally planned. The bracket is just garbage can plastic right now, but I'm trying to think of something cool to do with epoxy putty molded into shape.

That's about it for today... my wife comes home from work soon, so I should probably clean up the dishes in the sink before she has something to complain about it.

7. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Jan 6, 2008, 12:34 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #57

I was thinking about wrapping something around the holsters, so they don't look like plastic...I got a bunch of vinyl in my hall closet. I may go to town now!!

I see you live in Twentynine Palms, I have passed through there many a time to get to San Diego.
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 6, 2008, 2:39 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #58

Nice progress so far. Im still stuck on the helmet.... So I still have to work on that and get a mold. Im unhappy with my cheeks so im going to remove and replace them with alluminum, or plastic ones.
    Jan 6, 2008, 11:59 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #59

Gonna bondo the rest of the gauntlet today, so we'll see how that goes. What's wrong with your cheeks? They looked good to me
  10. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jan 6, 2008, 12:03 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #60

Very nice progress overall man. Those guants are looking spiffy!
    Jan 6, 2008, 2:56 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #61

Indeed, it is coming along nicely. I'm impressed.

Drat...now your's is better than mine.

Maybe I'll just have to do something about it.

David.
    Jan 6, 2008, 3:08 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #62

Nothing fuels imagination like competition, eh Dave? :-P

I put the hinges on my gauntlets this morning. :-P

Gotta go pick up a buddy from the airport, be gone a couple hours, then I'm going to do the bondo work on the gauntlet. Hope to have pictures of that later tonight.

Good luck on yours, David!
    Last edited by samlynn79; Jan 6, 2008 at 6:39 PM. Reason: Added closeup picture
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 6, 2008, 4:45 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #63

Wow nice job so far. Question, no matter where I looked I cant find the templates for the gauntlets anywhere. Where did you get yours?

Also about the cheek pieces, the fiberglass for some reason, didnt stick to the paper and therefore I cannot smooth it out, therefore, I have to replace it.
    Jan 6, 2008, 4:46 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #64

wow man im loving those gauntlets!

and those westars are gojnna look cool when they are done!
    Jan 6, 2008, 6:36 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #65

Here's the templates for the gauntlets, done by Wizardofflight (WOF)

Right gauntlet:
    http://www.propaholics.wolfchasers.c...%20Std%20A.pdf

Left gauntlet:
    http://www.propaholics.wolfchasers.c...%20Std%20A.pdf

And here's the thread that I found them in:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=9861

Good luck man. :-P

**(Edit)**
    For some reason the links weren't working, so I just made them as regular text. They work if you copy and paste.
    Last edited by samlynn79; Jan 6, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Links weren't working
  16. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 6, 2008, 11:46 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #66

Edit- Nvm I got them to work.
    Last edited by 987654321a; Jan 6, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
    Jan 7, 2008, 11:33 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #67

This is looking bad-*****. Can't wait to see it all painted.
    Jan 11, 2008, 7:36 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #68

I got some work done on my helmet today. Last night I cut the dome off, and today I cut off the extra material that I had accidently left on when I cut out the templates. I also received a resin missile in the mail yesterday from TheDentedOne (thanks dude!), and a shelter half for my cape from Xantok_Odysseus. I had started painting my armor a few days ago, but stopped when Lucca did her weathering tutorial. You can see why from the pictures. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near as nice as hers, which is what I'm aiming for. The weathering that I did was 1.) too much, 2.) too uniform, and 3.) lacked accurate placement. Too much in the middle, not enough on the edges, too many cuts that look the same, etc. I'm going to the wood hobby shop after this post, armed with my plastic ears and a bunch of templates, and I'm going to make new ears out of solid wood.

Depending on how the ears go, I'll post more pictures tonight.

~Sam
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 11, 2008, 7:55 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #69

Wow! Lookin great bro! I love the paintjob as well.

The helmet looks nice as well, but I kinda got used to the tall dome, it looked nicer IMO, but it looks nice though!
    Jan 11, 2008, 8:05 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #70

Yeah now that I cut off the extra material I'm regretting doing that. Now I'm giving thought to chalking up that helmet as a 1st try, and make another one using all the experience I gained from that one. :-\

But on the other hand, scratchbuilding that helmet took alot more more time and money than I thought it would... maybe I'll buy one of the kits that I've seen sold around the boards and go that route.
    Last edited by samlynn79; Jan 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM.
  21. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jan 11, 2008, 9:01 PM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #71

Excellent work Sam! Thats coming along nice.
  22. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 12, 2008, 12:39 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #72

Buying a kit is the easy way out.

However, I learned that from experience, every new thing you make gets better and better. Like if I were to make a new mando helmet from the WOF plans it would be way way better than the one I have. But a first helmet really makes it unique, because it was your first.
    Jan 12, 2008, 12:43 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #73

Oh don't worry, I'm definitely going to fix my helmet. I'll never get rid of that. It's a part of history now. :-P I may even try just making a new dome for it, maybe the shape will be better then. We'll see.
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 12, 2008, 12:54 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #74

Well The dome I think is the trickiest part in WOF's plans, I got mine right and pretty much just like how its supposed to be on the first try. I consider that lucky, because I would have never gotten it that perfect. There are still some minor faults to the dome, but I am satisfied with it and thats all that counts! I think if you start a new dome, it should work perfectely. The problem with this dome is that its pretty pointy on top and thats what made it look not too good when you shortened it. Hell, if you just sanded the top down a little bit, it would have looked like a custom mando.

But enough about the dome haha. The armor looks really great. Are you going to buy the vest? or make it?

Edit- Also did you get your helmets visor from t-visor.com? If so what size did you get yours?
    Last edited by 987654321a; Jan 12, 2008 at 1:00 AM.
    Jan 12, 2008, 1:00 AM - Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates) #75

Well, I've got the material for it, and I've thought about making it myself, but I don't have a sewing machine. I sent Ladysewforus a PM asking her what it would cost if I sent her the material and all my measurements, but I haven't gotten a response. If she gives me a good price, I'll definitely go that route, 'cause I want quality work. We'll see, I guess...