Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates)

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates)

So now that I've got my helmet built and painted, I need to start on my armor. Here's my helmet, which is what I've based my armor paint scheme from.

And here's a concept of what my armor is going to look like:

I'm going to incorporate the desert tan flight suit, flight gloves, and USMC issue boots that I brought back with me from Iraq. I've also got a military padded cartridge belt, and I'm planning on getting magazine pouches from the surplus store out in town. The plan right now is to build the armor pieces from a Sterilite trash can, and then coat it in fiberglass.

From
    Philadelphia PA

Re: Sam's custom Mando armor (WOF templates)

Looks good! So the final is going to be more khaki the yellow, right? Either way I like it. Are you going to dull coat the helmet to take the shine off, or like sand blast it or something for authentic desert wear and tear?

take care,

Phil

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

Yeah, it's going to be khaki... that was just the closest color I could find on the palette. :-P And yes, today I'll be dullcoating the helmet so it's not quite so shiny. The dullcoat turns the silver into a real dark grey, which I found out when I used it on my earpieces.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

The journey begins...

From
    Southern, Utah

Kandosii, I like the modern kit setup idea. Can't wait to see it when its done.

From
    Sunny Sarlacc Pit, NE Florida

samlynn79 said: View Post
    Yeah, it's going to be khaki... that was just the closest color I could find on the palette.
    I kinda like the yellow ochre color, too....it's different....
    Rob

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Not bad at all! For once, the glossy paintjob looks pretty good on a helmet Everything has a nice and even coat, the colours blend well. Good job

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Not bad at all! For once, the glossy paintjob looks pretty good on a helmet Everything has a nice and even coat, the colours blend well. Good job

Thanks. I wanted to weather it a little, but I haven't the slightest idea how to do that with spray paint, and I seriously don't want to mess up the work I've done on it. I've got a ton of ideas for the armor that I can't wait to try. I need a break from laying out templates, cutting out small pieces, pain-stakingly gluing them together, and all that, so I'm going to do the armor first before I tackle the gauntlets.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

Well, I've got a start. I still have to do the cod piece, which is gonna be a little tougher, as there is some assembly required, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm also going to build some thigh and shin armor, but I'll have to make the templates myself.

Lol... the trashcan that sacrificed itself for Mandalorian glory.

Now that I've got the pieces cut out, I have to spend some time molding them to my body shape. And, I still have to come up with some kind of vest (leather preferred) to mount them to. I've definitely been thinking about using the industrial snap idea. I like the idea of being able to remove each piece if needed.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Looks good man. You did a great job cutting out the armor! Snaps work great, it's what I use on my current kit.

hey, that armor looks... hip?

naw, awesome! Keep it up Sam!

EDIT: likes to looks, lol.
    Last edited by Darasuum_Verd; Dec 17, 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: shoop da whoop

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

I did some modification to the shoulder bell. I didn't want just a plain piece of flat armor, so I went at it with a sharpie, an x-acto, some hot glue, and a little more plastic.

Last edited by samlynn79; Dec 18, 2007 at 12:49 AM.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

My wife modeling my helmet and my flight suit and gloves. :-P

From
    Titusville, FL

Great start! I like the custom on the shoulder bells.

David.

I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, CA

Yay same gloves I have!

Good job on the armor so far. I might make mine from metal plates actually. I want to go for a realistic feel instead of just plastic.

From
    Yadkinville NC

Jaiden said: View Post
    Great start! I like the custom on the shoulder bells.

David.
    Seconding Jaiden's comment on the shoulders. Looks like you've added some extra mass to them by making them more 3D. Looks really good.

From
    Sunny Sarlacc Pit, NE Florida

That's some good lookin' trash cans you've got there, Sam...
    Rob

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

The shoulders look like the Galaxies shoulders.

What kind of glue are you using on it?

Looks like it held nice. or are you plasti-welding it.

Great job, keep it up.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

It's hotglue, mostly. :-P I cut the plastic about halfway through with the x-acto knife, bent it back, and filled the seam i just created with hotglue. When that cooled down, I ran another bead of hotglue along the back side of the seam. When I added the top part, it stiffened it up quite a bit. When I fiberglass it, it will be completely rigid.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

Well, I'm at a bit of a stand down on the armor for the time being until I make my trip to Michael's this weekend to pick up a bunch of stuff. I've also decided that I'm going to take the ears off my helmet, and re-make them out of wood. I went to the wood hobby shop on base today to make a display stand for my father-in-law (pictures to follow just to show you how it went, I know it's not armor-related, but I want to show the kind of work that can be done with the AMAZING amount of tools at the wood hobby shop) and I brought my helmet with me and showed it to the wood and tool expert there. Told him the history on the helmet, explained the process, and showed him how flimsy the ear pieces were, as well as the RF stalk. The ear pieces and RF stalk are going to be made of solid, light-weight wood, either balsa or cedar. I'm going to take pictures of the entire process, because I believe it's going to be easy enough that anyone can do it, and I'm hoping to show everyone how.

From
    Yadkinville NC

I would suggest against using Balsa. It is way to light-weight to wear safely in public. The first bump and you'll have a broken RF stalk.

Check this post on the Mercs forum about casting your own resin stalk using floral foam as a mold:

Jaiden's cast RF stalk

For the time and money involved, thats probably the easiest stalk to make...and it will be much more durable then wood.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

I saw his post about that, and it was a great idea. I thought about making one out of resin as well. Instead of using the floral foam for the cast, however, I'd rather make it out of wood. I think it will give a much cleaner cast. Who knows, I may end up using the wooden ears that I make to make a mold and cast those from resin as well. If I do cast them, I'll inset bolts head-first into the resin to make them removable from the helmet.

I come back from the in-law's house on wednesday, so I'll probably start working on these on thursday.

From
    Titusville, FL

Thanks, Novall. Your vote of confidence is comforting!

Three things:

1) with the floral foam, all that's required is sanding it down to remove the excess foam material - and maybe tweaking it a bit here and there to fit in your caps. I would recommend against wood for a casting block because the wood would soak up some of the resin and make it hard to remove. You could get around this with a heavy coat of wax, but time involved on a one or two shot deal, the wood's just not worth it.

2) I had to recast my stalk. It was...leaning. I knew I might have to do it again anyway. Check out the same post (here) for an update.

3) The guy that told me to use the floral foam also said to cast the ears first, then figure out where you want the screw posts and drill out a "well" big enough for the nut. Put the nut in the well (with the screw in it to keep the threads clean) and pour a little resin around the nut to lock it into the ear. Remove the bolt and sand the resin smooth.

I'll post pictures when I do this in the near future.

David.
    Last edited by Jaiden; Dec 22, 2007 at 3:09 PM.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

That's pretty good advice. I'm really banking on getting a dremel for christmas, that would definitely help out with the detail sanding. I didn't think about the wood soaking up the resin, though - good call. I've never used resin before, so I really don't know anything about it yet. I'm definitely going to have to play around with it. Good luck on your ears, man. I'll probably learn from yours. :-P

I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, CA

Actually, wood will absorb very very little resin, but my suggestion is to coat the inside of your wood mold with a very thin layer of resin. Then just as you would make a fiberglass mold, you would have to add like 20 layers of a type of paraffin wax to the mold and cast your part. However, wait 15 minutes between each coating of wax.