Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rohlan Dyre Progress Thread -- Image Intensive

From
    Colorado

Rohlan Dyre Progress Thread -- Image Intensive

I decided to start a new project this week -- Rohlan Dyre from the KotOR comics. Let's see if I can stick with it long enough to actually finish. Maybe with a horde of Mandalorians edging me on, it might actually happen.

It may sound like heresy, but I love the EU more than the OT or PT. And I've been totally digging the KotOR and Legacy comics -- so much, that I've decided to do a Rohlan Dyre costume. But with comics, you're always at the mercy of who's this month's artist when it comes to reference material. Dyre almost always has a different helmet in every picture...

Of all the different helmets, I like Harvey Tolibao's version the best from ish #18. It looks less like a bucket with a visor, and more organic and reptilian. On backpacks, though, I like Bong Dazo's from ish #19 better. I mean, heck -- any chance to wear a backpack with glowing green liquid jostling around in it, I'll take.

So here we are, a few nights into the sculpt. There's still a few nights left to refine everything, but I won't be able to get around to it until later next week. The spikes on the back of the helmet are just sitting there -- I figure I'll probably sculpt and cast those separate from the helmet. It's almost symmetrical (as good as humanly possible, that is). I took a ton of pics earlier today to compare halves and check the center ridge line and other features. I found a few things I'm going to change a little, but for the most part I'm actually happy with it. I'm sure when I come back to it next week, I'll find more I want to change. LOL.

Last edited by Qthooga; Sep 9, 2007 at 1:36 AM.

Re: Rohlan Dyre Progress Thread -- Image Intensive

WOAH! O.O that is AWSOME!!!

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

OH MAN! When I opened this, I figured, "blah, another custom mando." This is fantastic. Please finish this, take your time, make it look fantastic.

From
    Bay Area

Oh man this is great. I was hoping to start either the Tolibao version or the Brian Ching version (issue #16) this winter. I'll be looking forward to see more of your progress!

Here's a comparison pdf I put together a couple weeks ago.
    Attached Files Attached Files

From
    B.C.

Very nice job sculpting. It reminds me very much of my latest cutom mando. Wierd that I've never even seen any of these comics or there picture and I designed a simular helmet.
    Again, Great work! Hope to see the entire suit!

From
    London, UK

Absolutely love it! And the comments about green liquid really made me laugh!

From
    Devon

Nice bucket, I look forward to seeing your progress on this.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Very nice indeed! This is definitely going to turn out nice!

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    OH MAN! When I opened this, I figured, "blah, another custom mando."
    Nice attitude towards customs
    Last edited by NovallTalon; Sep 9, 2007 at 9:39 AM.

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

Cool to see someone who sculpts it out, and will make a mold for his own costume, lots of talent.

Good luck.

From
    Mansfield, TX

NovallTalon said: View Post
    Nice attitude towards customs
    I don't think you really get what he mean't by that.

NICE WORK!!!!! I love this helmet, and I espeically love the other sculpt I see in the side of your pictures. It looks like your quite the sculptor. Keep up the good work!

From
    Colorado

Count Dookie said: View Post
    Oh man this is great. I was hoping to start either the Tolibao version or the Brian Ching version (issue #16) this winter. I'll be looking forward to see more of your progress!

Here's a comparison pdf I put together a couple weeks ago.
    Nice! What did you do your drawings in? Before I started, I did a couple pencil sketches before I started, but those look really nice.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I'll update as I make more progress. I'm planning on doing the helmet in fiberglass, but will be vaccing the armor. No idea what I'll do with the backpack yet, though.

From
    Colorado

Kashyyyk4ABY said: View Post
    I don't think you really get what he mean't by that.
    I do. No offense to custom anything -- I plan on doing a custom Mando someday -- probably something pulled from the Jango "Open Season" comics. But actually sculpting something from the ground up (IMHO anyway) is more fufilling to me. I wore my TK/TD for years and I always felt like everyone else. I ended up going a little overboard on my Tusken, though. LOL. I just like having my own stuff. *shrug*

Kashyyyk4ABY said: View Post
    NICE WORK!!!!! I love this helmet, and I espeically love the other sculpt I see in the side of your pictures. It looks like your quite the sculptor. Keep up the good work!
    I have more in my "Room of Projects I've Put On Hold Because I Don't Have Any Time." LOL. I've always wanted a Calamari, but the DP and Rubies masks suck hardcore. This sculpt is almost ready -- I wanted to do a little skin texturing and add a bit more detail. But I'm also scared to death to cast it, and I'm also not sure what to cast the finals out of. Plain latex will be floppy like a Dp/Rubies mask. Foam latex will be too heavy. I might try to do a really light self-skinning urethane foam and coat that with latex, so in the end it'd be more of a big foamy Muppet head, and I could use wire to open/close the mouth. And I'd be a Muppet.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Holy **** thats an awesome Mon Cal.

From
    Mansfield, TX

That Mon Cal is the coolest. I wouldn't mind trying to sculpt, besides the fact that I'm well, not good at it.

Where do you get the supplies that you use to sculpt and cast these?

From
    Selfoss, Ísland.

That is AWESOME! I love the KOTOR comics, and seeing someone bring a character such as rohlan and mandalore is pure joy.

Great work on the sculpture, also the Mon-cal ;-)

From
    Katy, TX

I want one of those Mon Cal's!

The Don Post ones do suck!

Great work, you might want to try something called Smooth-on

From
    UK

absolutely awesome work....

From
    Katy, TX

one thing, how are you going to approah the eyes? you will have to vacuum form them or something so that the match the curvature of the eye socket...

From
    Titusville, FL

Dude, you're a master at this sculpting thing!:thumbup

Quick questions... what kind of clay are you using? How much, approximately, do you use for each mask? What tools do you recommend for the detail work?

Great job!

David.

From
    Colorado

On the Calamari -- I was actually thinking about doing the eyeballs in acrylic. Black for the pupil, and then a tinted clear for the eyeball itself. And yeah, it'd have to be hollow. I'd love to have the eyes open/close, and I've gotten some good suggestions from Muppet Central on how to do that, so really, only time will tell how I do them. If I do make them open/close, I'll need to resculpt them closed, or half-closed.

On supplies -- There's a sculpture shop (Western Sculpting Supply) in Denver (they're old skool -- no website ) that I get most of my stuff from. They carry a huge variety of oil-based clay in varying hardnesses, and they're also a Smooth-on dealer. So I'm able to get all of my clay, tools, silicone, latex, and casting materials there. They even have a forge and do a lot of metalwork, there, so someday I may actually try to have a couple things cast in bronze just for pretty. I've also tinkered a bit with that gel Bondo stuff from Home Depot on my Guard helmet. But I didn't reinforce what I did with it, and after a year of sitting in the garage it fell apart.

That was just a rough, though, so I wasn't too heartbroken about it. The real piece...is coming whenever I get the guts to do the final silicone mold for the sanded down master.

So there. I fell pretty good that I've hijacked one of my threads with 2 other subjects. Go me!

From
    Colorado

Jaiden said: View Post
    Dude, you're a master at this sculpting thing!:thumbup

Quick questions... what kind of clay are you using? How much, approximately, do you use for each mask? What tools do you recommend for the detail work?

Great job!

David.
    Not a master yet...but thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll feel better once I actually have finished pieces.

Type of clay -- Regular oil-based clay...medium firmness. The sculpture shop I go to carries a couple of different types -- J-Mac Clay Products and Wesclay. But any oil-based clay should work. I've used firmnesses from soft to extra firm, and I like medium. Soft gets too gummy when you work with it a lot, and the extra firm needs to be blasted with a heat gun before you can move it around.

How much clay -- For the Calamari I used about 40 pounds. For the Coruscant Guard I used about 30, and the Dyre helmet was probably 20.

Tools -- I've collected a bunch of tools over the years. Follow slowly -- I'm going to use some pretty hardcore technical terms, yo.

*The loopy wood thing on the far left is my favorite. I can do just about anything with it.
    *The really really big one in the middle is also pretty handy for smoothing out large sections.
    *The silver dentist tool things -- they're ******* dangerous, but can be handy for intricate details on miniatures and whatnot. I've almost put my eye out with one, though, so...I don't like using them much.
    *The other silver loopy things -- that are great for small detail work on larger pieces.
    *Funny looking wood thing with black rubber tips on the bottom-- also great for detail work where you'd like to get your finger in to smooth something out, but your finger is too big.
    *And the loopy wood ones on the right -- they're all purpose scraper things that are pretty handy, too.

I'm sure they have real names, but when I go to the shop and say, "I'd like something...kinda...big, but with loops, and sharp, but kinda smallish...like this [makes gesture with finger and thumb]," they always seem to know what I'm talking about.

On that Dyre helmet, though, I only used the really big one, the loopy wood one on the far left, the wood popsicle stick with the one sharpened end, and that twine at the very top so I could map out where I'd make my longer cuts.

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States

You're far too modest Qthooga, that looks like some supreme work that you have done. I wish I was that skilled.

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

To be honest, I thought the same thing GCN did..this was a big surprise.

I am watching this thread with excitement (ew, not like that)

Keep up the great work!

From
    Colorado

Ok, so I guess (and this is my own opinion) there seems to be a supreme lack of new material here on the board? I see tons and tons of resculpts of the same exact thing, but nothing totally new (no offense to anyone -- all the work I've seen here is awesome).

I'm curious as to why only Jango/Boba and Zam are represented? If the board was all Mandalorian I'd expect to see Crusaders, Neo-Crusaders, or at least a Mandalore costume. Or is it just that everyone's staying focused on Boba, and leaving everything else out?

But with Zam's inclusion, I'd expect to see other bounty hunters?

I guess what I'm wondering is...atwhat point is someone going to say, "Take your squishy Calamaris and Coruscant Guards, and go back to your other boards, Q!" ...?

From
    Colorado

Or is the issue that people would like to do more Mandalorians, but aside from just doing a custom repaint, there's not much out there to really work with?

And sculpting new things -- from the response and questions I've seen so far -- is that not many know where to begin?

If you'd like, I'll put together a tutorial with links on where to get tools and materials from. I'd love to see more people doing original work. A few years ago our FanForce only had a couple of us that could do props, but over time we've got everyone doing something. It's the same with our garrison. Some sculpt, vac, electronics, sew, sew, sew, machine, lathe -- it's actually pretty impressive, and I love seeing all the new work all the time. And our FF group projects are crazy -- we've done everything from mass X-Wing costumes to Batman, and even restored (with the help of our garrison) the X-Wing many of you saw at C3.

But what I like seeing more are things that haven't been done before. That's really why I like doing this.