Alright guys- I know I’ve been a tad MIA these past several weeks. Rest assure, it is not without good reason. In November Fett Seven and I had the opportunity to meet up w/ the wonderful guys over at NME Props (Marcus and Maurio). Marcus is a phenomenal artist who as many of you know created the “Mando Stalker” sculpt inspired by the video game…Sith Stalker character. If you haven’t seen Marcus’s sculpts be sure to visit www.nmeprops.com. Anyhow, just a short time after meeting these guys I received an email that would get my creative juices flowing…heavily. It seems that NME was in need of someone to do a Mando stalker paint-up and…not just any paint-up, a “Darth Maul” piece. And to add a bit of pressure to this…it was for Ray Park himself!!! Man, what could I say other than well…YES and that I was very humbled and jumped at this great opportunity: ). Before I jump into this thread I’d like to give a quick thanks to NME Props for entrusting me w/ this great opportunity, Deadland, Fett Seven and ofcourse ThirdEthree for their artistic collaboration as well as support (as no build is ever a one-man job).
Upon acceptance of this great honor I quickly began brainstorming in order to organize my thoughts. Not only did I want this lid to be aesthetically pleasing, I wanted it to tell a story. That being said, below are the initial concept images and draft notes. The images will be organized chronologically from prepping through to the final version.
Maul concept helmet:
1. As a result of the current CW character I feel the lid should show both organic and mechanical features
- faint "moss" around visor edging to show life?
- horns?-consider osseus(bone) physiology...vascular appearance and/ or metal
2. Due to the fact it will shelf display it should be both pretty as well as striking in representation
3. Black and red scheme..glossy yet dull appearance w possible chrome/ metallic accents
4. Mechanical bits..like an old “worn” engine
5. Weathering… anterior smoke/ ash blow as well as heat damage
6. Interior finish w skydex lining and visor seal