Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    Jun 3, 2009, 9:33 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #26

Looks great!

So, the gauntlets you're building... you said they'd be ready for silicon. Are you sealing them or making molds to cast? Just wondering. Many FemMando's out there would love to have female sized gauntlets they don't have to scratch build. You may have a market for them.

I know I'd be interested in a set for my GF. I just got a set of BradleyFett Jango gauntlets for her and they are going to end up being a tad bulky on her.
    Jun 3, 2009, 10:07 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #27

I love how the darts on the knees came out
    Jun 3, 2009, 10:39 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #28

Amazing work lonewolf!
    G-Fett
    Jun 4, 2009, 1:58 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #29

Coolio. Looking good.
  5. Jun 4, 2009, 2:07 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #30

Nice work!
    Jun 4, 2009, 2:30 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #31

Kandosii!
    Jun 4, 2009, 5:01 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #32

good thinking on the mannequin form! I don't know why I never thought of that. great color scheme too.
    Jun 4, 2009, 9:22 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #33

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I've been a little slacker on the last day or two, but I've needed to get sleep

I am planning on putting the sculpts in silicone to cast them in resin. I'll plan on making them available. I'd say they'll be a tad bit smaller than Bradley Gauntlets, but not extremely smaller.
    Jun 10, 2009, 11:03 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #34

About time for another update to this build, and its a biggish one. I just got done pulling the maiden set of casts of the gauntlets from their molds tonight. Not too bad overall, will need a little bit of clean up here and there. I modified the one mold a little to make the next casting a little better. I didn't get pics of me making the molds themselves, because my hands were really sticky from the mold rubber, and I did not feel like ruining my camera. But here's a quick description of what I did; I made a mold of the outside of the gauntlet pieces, turned that upside down and spread clay into it the thickness I wanted the gauntlets to be, then made the other side of the mold over this. This left me with a complete mold with a void that was the gauntlet. I didn't feel like slush casting it, so this will give me a consistent thickness in one shot. I also extended my new mold rubber supply by chopping up some old useless molds into itty bitty pieces and mixing that in to it.
    Here's the master sculpts in their final clened up form:

Sawing them in half to be able to mold each piece of them individually:

The pieces before getting molded:

And the resin setting up in the completed molds:

First pieces rough out of the mold:

The helmet in its initial stages of weathering. The scratches are done, now its just time to do washes over it and the armor to dirty it up. The rest of the armor is currently at the same point as the helmet, I'll try to get pics up in the next day or two.

And she'll hate me for posting it, but here is the ultimate recipient of this suit in the vest, holding the armor on while I made a template for the shoulder pads, which I will cut out of leather along with the holsters in the next few days:
  10. Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    Jun 11, 2009, 9:44 AM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #35

Awesome work.
    Jun 11, 2009, 7:24 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #36

Absolutely Outstanding Work!! Just some stunning creativity!!
    Jun 12, 2009, 7:34 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #37

Nicely done!
  13. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jun 12, 2009, 8:22 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #38

the use of a mannequin was a great idea
    Jun 12, 2009, 8:33 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #39

I'm still very tempted to do this, but I think I will put a layer of glass over it to give it a little heft.
    I was waiting for Rotton, like a lot of us are, but for $30.00 from fleabay, I can do that.
    Jun 13, 2009, 2:04 AM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #40

not bad, gauntlets look pretty nice
    Jun 13, 2009, 11:09 AM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #41

Figured I'd put up another little progress pic. Yesterday was actually sunny for the first time in a few days! So I sprayed a clearcoat over the armor to protect the main layer of silver scratches and the black acrylic paint I used for the black areas. I'll be doing washes over the armor and further weathering it, this was just to seal up the main paint. It's obviously not going to be this shiny once I'm all done with the weathering.
    I also got the gauntlet casts cleaned up, got the right arm hose connection piece mounted to the gauntlet, and started cutting the hinge pieces to use for closing the gauntlets. I also got the raw pieces of leather cut out for the shoulder pads. Today I'll build the flame projector box for the left gauntlet and get the final sanding done on the pistols. I'll also get a belt mounted to the cod piece, and raw pieces cut out for the holsters.

Anyway, onto the pics! The helmet as it stands:

The armor laid out:

And the pistols laying on the ground. They're covered in gap filling putty all over the place and obviously haven't been sanded or primered yet:
    Jun 13, 2009, 8:52 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #42

looking awesome, great job so far
  18. Member Since
    May 2009
    Jun 15, 2009, 12:16 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #43

Are those old Nintendo Zappers??? That's sweet!
    Jun 15, 2009, 12:41 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #44

You know it

I got a bunch of work done over the weekend, I was just working so hard I didn't stop to take pics. But the armor is all painted and weathered. Final leather parts are stitched together. Now its just time to start mounting armor to softgoods, and getting everything fitted and attached. Its into the home stretch! I'll try to get pictures up if I think about it. There will definitely be pictures after this upcoming weekend, there's a convention that I'm supposed to finish it for.
  20. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jun 15, 2009, 6:48 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #45

i was thinking of tweaking an old dreamcast light gun, Any pics of how your blasters have turned out?
    Jun 16, 2009, 11:31 PM - Rav Bralor progress **All FINISHED!!!**(big pics) #46

Couldn't go to sleep until I posted these pics taken about a half hour ago. With the exception of a little fit and finish and a little softgoods weathering that will be don weds night, this build is done!!! Not much to say, I'll let the pics do the talking. These were taken at night in my front entranceway, so obviously not the best. There will be better pics after this weekend at Wizard World Philly. She's happy with it, hope you guys are too!
    Picture time!

Jun 16, 2009, 11:37 PM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #47

That's some darn fine work my friend, really well done. If only I could find a girl who loves Star Wars as much as I do, like a lot of you guys have.
    Jun 17, 2009, 7:21 AM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #48

Kandosii! Great work wolf!
    Jun 17, 2009, 8:45 AM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #49

Wicked good job!

G-Fett
    Jun 17, 2009, 10:04 AM - Re: Rav Bralor progress thread (big build pics) #50

Awesome job!