Quick question regarding armor...

  1. #1
    DPWolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    From
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    4

    Quick question regarding armor...

    Not sure if this goes here or not, but...might as well.
    I'm starting to consider making Mandalorian armor, though having a little trouble in the planning process.
    First, I'm a girl, so I don't know if buying something online only to discover that it doesn't fit would be worth it, and second, I'm only sixteen, so I don't know if the armor I've seen sold online would even fit me (I'm barely 5'5").

    My budget isn't that big either, and while I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for things like chest armor, I don't have enough for an entire kit.
    The costume I'm planning wouldn't have a jetpack, either. I do have a sort of "concept" done, though it's just an edited and recolored version of Boba.

    Any tips for someone who has never attempted making an armor kit before would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Nau'ur Baatir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    From
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    234

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    Well, there's lots of people on this site and over at the Mercs site (mercs.firespray.net) who build custom armor, but the cheapest way would probably be to just make your own. There's a wealth of information here (and there) for those of us who haven't started yet. Just do a search for "Female Armor" and you'll come up with a bunch of threads on builds

  3. #3
    Ordeyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    USA
    Posts
    746

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    Hey! I'm a girl too. I had the same problems. FemMandos are super custom because we females have a different build than males, no duh. So custom plates are kinda necessary and there really is no set Female Mando template. I had to modify the regular templates a little to fit me. I did the trash can method, by the way.

    Definitely check out Mercs! Theres a whole female thread over there and tons of ideas and routes for us FemMandos.

    Good luck!

    -CAN

  4. #4
    DPWolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    From
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    4

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    Nau'ur Baatir said: View Post
    Well, there's lots of people on this site and over at the Mercs site (mercs.firespray.net) who build custom armor, but the cheapest way would probably be to just make your own. There's a wealth of information here (and there) for those of us who haven't started yet. Just do a search for "Female Armor" and you'll come up with a bunch of threads on builds
    Yeah, I was thinking maybe buying a less expensive part (such as chest armor) and then making my own.
    I'll look that up, thanks.
    Though is there a sizing difference when it comes to helmets, or would that be something I need to build myself so it fits properly?

    Ordeyn said: View Post
    Hey! I'm a girl too. I had the same problems. FemMandos are super custom because we females have a different build than males, no duh. So custom plates are kinda necessary and there really is no set Female Mando template. I had to modify the regular templates a little to fit me. I did the trash can method, by the way.

    Definitely check out Mercs! Theres a whole female thread over there and tons of ideas and routes for us FemMandos.

    Good luck!

    -CAN
    Haha, awesome. :]
    I figured as much, though my main problem would be proportion wise (not very er...developed yet, if you catch my drift, so I can probably stick with male chest armor), and I will definitely check out Mercs now.
    Thanks a bunch. xD

  5. #5

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    There are several sizes of helmet. In general, I'd recommend the full-scale Boba-helmets if you're of a solid build and over 5'8". Given your height, and/or if you're more slender, something Jango-sized (noticably smaller than Boba's) would be better to keep from looking like a bobblehead. The Rubie's 2-piece Jango helmet is actually about the right size, and is cheap, but takes work to make it rigid and eliminate the seam where the two halves come together.

    --Jonah

  6. #6
    Ordeyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    USA
    Posts
    746

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    DPWolf said: View Post


    Haha, awesome. :]
    I figured as much, though my main problem would be proportion wise (not very er...developed yet, if you catch my drift, so I can probably stick with male chest armor), and I will definitely check out Mercs now.
    Thanks a bunch. xD
    Oh, well, awesome! I'm pretty small too and used male templates. All I had to do really was give the plates a little curve and they worked just fine. Check out my thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...Custom-Mando-D

    Good luck, and still go see Mercs if you haven't yet.

  7. #7
    adonian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    From
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,882

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    The Jango 2 piece is really easy to put together and mod, and is a little smaller than movie size boba. You can get one for less than $35.00 shipped, you can google it or find it on fleabay... Oh by the way, welcome to the dent we're glad to have you here, and it's nice to see more girls coming to play. CAN is awesome, she's kicking butt on her armor, you can check out Isabet, she's 5'0" and her armor is WOW: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...6-Hey-Everyone!!!!!
    I believe she made hers form a manequin torso, I've been pushing that idea to all females who come here... not to be a perv or anything, but to help with the curves. You can get a torso from the flea of bay as well, just cut, and shape.

  8. #8
    DPWolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    From
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    4

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    Peregrinus said: View Post
    There are several sizes of helmet. In general, I'd recommend the full-scale Boba-helmets if you're of a solid build and over 5'8". Given your height, and/or if you're more slender, something Jango-sized (noticably smaller than Boba's) would be better to keep from looking like a bobblehead. The Rubie's 2-piece Jango helmet is actually about the right size, and is cheap, but takes work to make it rigid and eliminate the seam where the two halves come together.

    --Jonah
    http://www.entertainmentearth.com/pr...?number=RU4116

    Would that be it?
    And if so, any tips how to get to be more...workable?
    Ordeyn said: View Post
    Oh, well, awesome! I'm pretty small too and used male templates. All I had to do really was give the plates a little curve and they worked just fine. Check out my thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...Custom-Mando-D

    Good luck, and still go see Mercs if you haven't yet.
    Ah, cool, I'll be checking out Mercs soon too, I've been kinda busy with school work (midterms are in two weeks) so if anything I'll have to start really looking into this after then.
    adonian said: View Post
    The Jango 2 piece is really easy to put together and mod, and is a little smaller than movie size boba. You can get one for less than $35.00 shipped, you can google it or find it on fleabay... Oh by the way, welcome to the dent we're glad to have you here, and it's nice to see more girls coming to play. CAN is awesome, she's kicking butt on her armor, you can check out Isabet, she's 5'0" and her armor is WOW: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...6-Hey-Everyone!!!!!
    I believe she made hers form a manequin torso, I've been pushing that idea to all females who come here... not to be a perv or anything, but to help with the curves. You can get a torso from the flea of bay as well, just cut, and shape.
    Heh, thanks; though I don't quite have the space to use a manequin, I'm rather resourceful so I can probably figure something out. xD

  9. #9
    Nau'ur Baatir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    From
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    234

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    That is indeed the Rubie's Jango 2 piece. What do you mean by "workable"? I'd love to help out, but I'm a little confused.

  10. #10

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    "Workable" = making the soft-ish material more rigid, gluing together and hiding the seam, replacing the weak r/f stalk, replacing the ****** visor, painting, etc.

    I know there are threads here and on the Mercs board detailing what people have done. Searching for "rubies 2-piece" and variations on that on both sites should yield some useful things. If not, DP, or if school is too distracting, I'll take a few minutes some evening and apply my search-fu.

    --Jonah

  11. #11

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    Actually, I'll just toss this in as a good place to start browsing...

    http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=1380.0

    --Jonah

  12. #12
    Nau'ur Baatir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    From
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    234

    Re: Quick question regarding armor...

    Oh. Yeah yeah. The Rubies Jango 2 piece is pretty easy to work with. OR so I hear. I can't say from experience.

Similar Threads

  1. quick question
    By erock8100 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2009, 8:05 PM
  2. A quick question????
    By loveless in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Nov 26, 2007, 1:49 PM
  3. Quick question about avatars
    By Devilstar2k2 in forum Site Support & News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 20, 2007, 9:14 PM
  4. so quick question
    By morpheus1977 in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 25, 2006, 6:36 AM
  5. Quick Question
    By Boba Fett in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 10, 2006, 8:07 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •