Originally intended to be a "surprise" costume for MegaCon 2014. Due to a mishap with USPS, I was not able to finish on time. Since Star Wars Weekends this year (or the foreseeable future) will not allow much EU to march, I have no real "big" event to debut, therefore I am now disclosing this project openly.
I started early October/November 2013. This is based on the Open Season comic style. There was much analysis involved into making decisions to transition from comic to real world. The 501st regs state that artistic EU must translate into their movie counterparts, however, while the majority of the pieces of the suit (the actual chest armor, jetpack, boots) are based 100% on the movie designs (with the exception of the paint job), the only issue was the helmet, as the comic style is clearly much different. This was cleared up by the former LMO stating that should I stick to my build plan as outlined, I should not have issues getting 501st approved for this character. This has also been evaluated for Mando Merc approval as well.
I have every piece on order that I cannot do myself, such as a cold-cast Jetpack kit from NME Props, custom flak vest from Denise Ladyghost Cowles, the custom blaster was built by none-other than Chuck Bowman.
The Jetpack harness was created by BiggerKidBiggerToys (BKBT- Vince)
WizardOfFlight (Alan) created custom sized Jango fett armor templates as well to help me with the build. The helmet is a cold cast BKBT/Cruzer Jango kit. Will be using my Kenneth Coles for the boots.
The flight suit is still being put together as well. The last few things I need to worry about is finishing the chest armor (molding and cold-casting), adding the skull/belt buckle to the leathers, and creating the cape.
Everything after that is strictly painting and assembly. Since I am no longer on a time crunch, I wish to get this done somewhere before July if possible. Still gonna be lax on posting for this though, but I don't want to wait a year to debut this suit!
I won't post all of my WIP pics but I'll post the hightlights that I have taken over the course of the build as of now.
First and foremost, this image right here is telling as to why I chose to do this. Montross is a large man, much like myself. Those who know me can tell you that being at 6'7" and 340lbs is quite large. Granted, I am needing to drop fat.
I've posted this a few places but figure some of you guys might be interested in this WIP.
So, I've gotten back into it. I've gotten a new jumpsuit and got to work on my jetpack this week.
The items I have:
- Helmet BKBT/Cruzer CC w/ my own sculpted ear caps - 100% - Gonna replace the servo set up
- Blaster - Woodchuck - 90% - Just needs highlights and weathering
- Armor - Based off movie style Jango, just scaled to me curtsey of WizardofFlight- 60% - need to finish making the masters, then mold/ cold-cast them
- Flak vest(s) - 1 from IndyMagnoli and 1 from Ladyghost. The one from Denise is the proper color I need but needs to be re-adjusted for a "tighter" fit since losing weight. Indymagnoli fits well, but wrong color. May sell or get tanned if possible -Still needing to be altered. One person backed out
- Boots - Ordered rigger Boots from the UK
- Jetpack - Cold cast by NME props - Just Need to finish weathering and add buckles to wear it
- Jetpack harness - 2nd prototype from BKBT directly, custom size
- Leathers - made by Delta - complete for the most part, but need to make custom buckle and "skull" detail
- Flight-suit - Getting a different set of coveralls
- Forearm sleeves - Going to re-do these
Pics from the build up so far, won't post everything though since I'm further along
More to come, thanks