Newbie Custom Helmet

From
    Small town MN

Newbie Custom Helmet

Well, to get this out of the way, I am new here and would like to say hello. "Hello"

I am thinking of making my custom mando helmet that I sketched up, and I'm wondering 'should I make it out of foam?' that seems like the easiest to work with because I'm not a welder by any means and have no Idea how to get my Idea into a card-board template. I have a problem though. What should I start with and/or how do I hollow out the inside?

Any Idea on other materials or any help whatsoever is appreciated.

Edit: OK, so I have found that that ^ Idea is stupid, and is going in another direction. Instead of a completely diff bucket, I'm gonna make just a modified helm from a template. Here are some sketches I finally got up.

Gauntlet and helmet

Now, I'll just add a bit to the chin, bar the visor, and add a... blade?.... yeah a blade thing to the rangefinder.

Dark gray-Black
    Light Gray- Red
    Hand in pic is supposed to be a black glove but I finished it too soon and it is the best hand I have ever made so I thought why erase it but now it kinda looks like ****.
    Last edited by Gunnar120; Jan 3, 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Re: Newbie Custom Helmet

i think it would just be easier to use WOFtemplates on your first bucket. but i think if u were to make it out of foam it would probably be relly filmsy and the foam would be everywhere. i'm starting mine out of mat board which is a relly thick posterboard, also you could try for sale signs or cerealboxes. is it possible you could post the sketch of the helmet so we could se what we are dealing with. i hope i helped.
    Jango

From
    Small town MN

Well, I have a new drawring I like. If I did have a camera or scanner it would already be up D=. I would make a mold out of the foams

From
    Midlands UK

Problem with that would be that you would have the pitting of the foam picked up in the mold.

You wouldn't be able to use silicone or latex because it would bond with the foam and Plaster molding wouldn't be practical for the undercuts.

I suggest you try building your design out of paper first to get the templates right, then move to card, if you need a slope in the helmet, just remember that a slope is really two triangles flat smoothed off to a curve.

Your other option it to try clay, you can sculpt a helmet shape out, the great thing about clay is that you can keep trying till you get it right, where as the cardboard jobbie needs to be right first time.

Another idea is to get the front, back, sides and top onto a computer program like paint, you can then show us your idea and gets you used to looking at a 3d object in a 2d way.

Hope that helps

From
    Portage la Prairie, Manitoba Canada

Good luck! I'm in the same boat right now wondering what direction to go in. Happy new year!

From
    Lexington, KY

I found a two piece Jango helmet that will be the basis for my custom look... and only out 35.00
    I have to agree with the others on the foam idea... there better ways of doing it. But I'm new here to... so have at it.

From
    Small town MN

sorry for getting that last bit up a bit late guys. Thank you for the ideas. And because of you I have made a better decision. (Applauds)

From
    Small town MN

<-<-<-- huzzah for 1,000,000 bit* avi art

*Style like 8-bit but used GIMP so there are like a billion colors.

Edit: I are making them for free fyi

From
    Houston, Tx

Digging the helmet. Really digging the Gauntlet. Can't wait to see something real (Says the guy who has nothing concrete to show yet....)

From
    Small town MN

Yeah, I already have the tube and a back plate. =D

yay salvation army! the tube was part of a clamp on light. I found out it is water/airsealed so I could actually use it on an alien planet

the little arm is pretty funny on the gaunt

From
    Small town MN

Jango 425 said: View Post
    the little arm is pretty funny on the gaunt
    heheh, I just noticed that, it is actually supposed to be the arm from the other side. no, the gaunt rly doesn't have a little arm... that would be hilarious tho

oh ok i was gonna say what would u relly use that for. ha lol

From
    Small town MN

Yeah, He is supposed/going to be a sniper merc (or a sniper for a clan, either way, I'll get up that info later) who does business on planets with toxic atmospheres.
    Last edited by Gunnar120; Jan 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM.