OK. So I am new here, at least recently registered as a user. I have visited the site frequently in the past to get my Mando and Fett fix, as well as to see all the work getting accomplished out there. Last summer I stumbled on to Wizard of Flight's templates. (Thank you again, Alan.) In this thread I would like to display the work done to refabricate a beaten up hard hat and a forgotten five gallon bucket into a functional buyce. (That's the correct word for helmet. Yes? I don't have any of my Karen Traviss books with me.) Here are the first couple of pictures.
I began, as stated earlier, with a hard hat and one five gallon bucket. I had to find a second bucket for more material through the build. I will deal with that later though. First I cut brim from the hard hat. Then I cut it in half from front to back. WoF's template was a little small for my big nugget and I wanted some room for padding. I reassmbled the two halves with a one inch strip cut from the five gallon bucket. I used two inch masking tape to hold the pieces together. Then applied a liberal amount of epoxy (Hysol 9309) to bond the separate pieces and fill in the gaps. When those cured, I cut the dome in half again from left to right. Reassembled again in the same manner as the first havles. The fourth picture above shows the reassembled dome fitted to the lower half of the helmet held in place again with masking tape. I had made a cardboard frame from WoF's templates, with my added measurements, to use as a building base to ensure I stayed close to the correct angles.