I finished painting my helmet tonight (for the most part). Pics of my progress:
I started with a gray primer coat, then added a slick metal Jango-ish coat of spray paint.
I then masked off some various scratches with tape, and then masked off everything but the visor and the rim. I painted over the tape and the visor with a Krylon Burgundy spray paint.
After the burgundy paint dried, I masked off the visor and lightly sprayed a metallic gunmetal spray paint.
After that, I pulled the tape off, which brought some of the hour-old burgundy layer off with it. This created a very nice weathering effect on the visor. I then pulled off all the tape laid down as scratches. Note the big one that stretches from the base of the dome, down across both mandibles. I supplemented the scratches and paint peelings by using my dremel's wire-brush head on low speed, and lightly touching the edges of the scratches, and lightly drawing a line down the center of each. This added some texture to the scratches, and actually came out quite nice.
All-in-all, I am extremely happy with the turnout, and what you see in those last pics is very close to what the final product will look like. I may decide to darken the mandibles just a little bit after looking at the pictures I took, even though I know it's just camera glare making them look so light. I also plan to do a little more sanding in order to take that gloss off the top layer of clear paint, so the helmet matches the dullness of the armor.
T-Visor installation and other interior additions to come soon.
P.S. - These are the AWESOME knee pieces that Wickedbeard made me -