Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 17, 2007, 8:37 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #26

i decided to go for a slight personal touch to my gauntlets. I am Canadian, and i'm fairly proud to be so, but i'm also in love with the Mando culture. so i thought i'd blend the two a little. i figured i'd mark one culture with the other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 126.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	18342  
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2007, 8:55 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #27

Thats pretty interesting and very patriotic =D
    Jun 19, 2007, 1:20 AM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #28

Well, since I plan on using my armour for paintball, I also plan on making my paintball marker look like a prop. Being a big fan of not only Mandalorians, but the Republic Commando's aswell, I'm going to mod my gun to look somewhat like the DC-17. Wizzard Of Flight responded to another post I had started inquiring about specs and pics of the Deece. He has some great autocad pictorials of the gun, so I've spent my evening scalling these pics to my current paintball marker. So far so good. I'm not going to be doing every little detail right of the bat. Just the basics for now to make it seem more like a weapon from the Star Wars realm. I'll probably be spending a good chunk of my day tomorrow building the first parts of cardboard, seeing how it will actually line up, and using those as my templates. I'm hoping to make the peices out of PVC, which is what I'm planning on making my helmet out of aswell (one of these days). Speaking of which; anyone out there from the southern Ontario area that knows where a guy can get PVC in sheet form???
    Jun 19, 2007, 9:58 AM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #29

Not to go OT. But do you mind me asking what kind of marker you shoot?
    Jun 19, 2007, 11:40 AM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #30

right now i've got a Zap AMP Reactor, but i'm hoping to move up to a
    BT-4. I'm not sure yet how I'd want to dress out the BT-4, but it's a ways off for me anyhow. I love the way that the Reactor functions, i just don't like having the top mount hopper. I want something with a cyclone feed so I could mount a scope on the top and sight down the barrel. however, next on my list is the Tiberious 8 pistol.
    Jun 19, 2007, 11:58 AM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #31

Yeah the BT-4, Tippmann's, etc. are realy cool senario guns, when I play senario I use a Spyder MR-2, and an Ariakon Overlord pistol. I didn't want to be striktly military, and both sorta remind me of more Sci-Fi esq. gun. Sence I like Sci-Fi I was sorta drwn to both, lol.

But The Tac-8 has to be one of the coolest paintball markers in a long time senario wise, but the price is sorta a turn off. I sometimes wish I would of held out and bought one as apose to my Overlord though.

I play mostly Speedball though, so I didn't want to spend "alot" of money making a Tippmann marker look like a gun, because I also play airsoft. Do you play stricktly senario/woods, or have/do you also play speedball?
    Jun 19, 2007, 12:28 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #32

I haven't played much speedball.....which is somewhat of a shame seeing as the Reactor is pretty much made for speedball. mostly we play a lot off scenario in the woods. i'm looking at puting a longer, rifled barrel on my marker to give me a little more distance and accuracy for woodsball.
    Jun 19, 2007, 3:28 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #33

okay, here's what i got working on today. It certainly won't be an exact replica of the Dc-17, but it will at least look Star Wars enough to go with my armour for paintball. I've come up with a piece for a shoulder stock, nothing fancy, but it flows with the lines of the gun.......or at least, what the gun will be. I think i've even figured a way to attatch the stock once i get the rest of the cladding done for the gun. I'll keep posting as I keep working on it.

Name:	randoms 128.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	18370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 129.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	18371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 130.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	18372  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 132.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	18373  
  9. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jun 19, 2007, 3:53 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #34

Almost looks like the old auto-cocker/auto-mag.
    Jun 19, 2007, 4:49 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #35

Makes me want to buy a paintball gun to mod

Jate bora!
    Jun 19, 2007, 10:01 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #36

I look foreward to seeing how your mods go!

Yeah, I use a SP Ion for speedball, I prefer it as apose to woods play, but I'll just about do anything.
    Jun 22, 2007, 11:43 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #37

well, the mods on the gun are on hold for a little while. i've just been working to much lately to really put the time into the detail i'd like to do. in the mean time, however, I've continued on with some of the armour after a quick trip to wal-mart for another trash can. I also started on some fem-mando armour for my sister. I'll probably post more about that somewhere else as that one comes along. in the mean time, here's what i worked on today.

Name:	randoms 133.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	18423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 057.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	18424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 059.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	18425  

Name:	randoms 060.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	18426  
    Last edited by JIM BEEF; Jun 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM.
    Jun 23, 2007, 4:07 AM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #38

Looks good. I don't remember if you said before or not, but... What are you using to shape the plastic?
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jun 23, 2007, 9:23 AM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #39

Exceptional job do far Jim! Those leg pieces look awesome!
    Jun 23, 2007, 8:06 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #40

t_bone, all i use to do any shaping is a heat gun and some gloves. I'll use the occasional bit of lumber or sometimes my two foot level for some straight edges for hard bends, but other than that, i just heat it till it's almost melty, and hold it in the shape i want until it cools.

well, i tried out the armour in paintball today. I was curious to see how my second paint job was going to hold up, and it did really well. there wasn't any paint chipped off of it at all. the only problem i did have was the medalion on the chest armour that i welded out of two peices with a soldering iron broke apart. I'll have to figure out another solution for that, or just make sure the weld is much stronger for next time. other than that, everything held up well.

Name:	randoms 140.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	18465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 141.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	18466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 142.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	18467  

Name:	randoms 143.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	18468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 145.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	18469  
    Jun 23, 2007, 10:05 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #41

Did you play in it, or just test your own marker on it? I'm curious to see how people react to a set of Mando armor on the playing feild. It looks like it held up preety well either way though.
    Jun 23, 2007, 11:17 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #42

we didn't actually get a chance to play today. we were supposed to, and we hiked three miles to get the what was supposed to be the perfect paint ball spot. once we got there, only about three of us wanted to play, and the rest just wanted to set up tents and drink until tommorow. so the three of us who were interested decided to test the armour. as far as how people react to mando armour on the feild, i can only speculate at this point......and i speculate fear. and why shouldn't they fear it. itt holds up well. instead of getting massive welts at close range, it just feels like someone is gently poking you. that may also have something to do with the half inch foam padding that is lining my flak vest.
    Jun 24, 2007, 1:13 AM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #43

Aw man, I had started awhile back, just a set of mando chest armor for the same thing, for paintball. Just never got around to making a vest for it.

-tubachris
    Jun 26, 2007, 3:24 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #44

nice armor
    Jun 28, 2007, 1:14 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #45

well, i know i said i was going to wait until i could find some pvc to build a helmet out of, but i just couldn't take it anymore. so i began to build one out of fibreglass. i used Wizard Of Flight's helmet and dome templates, built one out of some rigid paper, then i coated it with bondo to give it some stability. once that was done and dried enough, i put a layer of wax paper over the dome, so it would sepearate easily enough, and started to hit it with some fibreglass. I've only done the dome up to this point, because, as i've said before, i want this helmet for paintball. so i didn't want to build the whole thing only to find out i'd wasted my time and my money. so for now i just went with the dome. as soon as i got that part of it done, i took it out back, and my brother in law and i hit it with about two hundred rounds at point blank range. and it held up just fine. not a crack in the thing at all.........well, there was one little piece that chipped off near the bottom, but i could have flicked that off before i even started shooting at it. I'm really happy with how it's coming together, and i'll keep posting as i keep working.

Name:	randoms 146.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	18582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 147.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	18583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 148.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	18584  

Jun 29, 2007, 5:20 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #46

well, i ended up having to work longer than i thought today, so i didn't get to spend any time on the helmet like i'd hoped. i did have a little bit of trash can left over, so i decided to do some knees. they were about the only part i had missing, other than the helmet, but certainly not the only part unfinished. i've still got lots of work ahead of me, but i'd like to try and get everything as ready as can be so i only have to set up for paint one more time. the knees are not exactly screen acurate, but this is a custom, so i'm not terribly concerned.

Name:	randoms 151.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	18610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 152.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	18611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 153.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	18612  

Jun 29, 2007, 5:34 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #47

how did I miss this topic? your armor loox pretty sweet!
    Jun 29, 2007, 5:58 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #48

hey thanks man. and thanks everybody actually. i've gotta say, for this being my first effort at any sort of costuming, everybody here has been nothing but encouraging. i really do appreciate everyones support and input. this is probably the friendliest community i've ever been involved with.
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jul 2, 2007, 5:41 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #49

The kneepads appear to look a little deformed, do you think you can fix them up a little?
    Jul 2, 2007, 10:33 PM - Re: New guy, new armour (pics included) #50

yeah, the knees definetly need some reworking. i'm thinking i may just start over on them.